Am I missing something:11 ultimate vs 13 ultimate..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Sid-R, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Sid-R macrumors member

Sid-R

I ve been hearing how 13 out performs 11 but with ultimate configuration/(or same processor) ... both have 1.8 GHz core i7 with 4 GB ram .. shdnt the performance be the same.. or am i missing something?
    So except for extra screen size and SD card slot they should perform the same... right?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

Yes, the performance are the same, the geekbench score contains screen size, so they have difference. :)

4. KPOM macrumors G5

On pure CPU tasks, both should perform the same.

Note that there are two different SSDs that Apple uses (one from Samsung, and one from Toshiba). They are used "randomly" in the manufacturing process. The Samsung is slightly faster, so it can skew some benchmarks.

5. Sid-R thread starter macrumors member

Sid-R

Ahh ddnt know that .. So the only way of making sure that you get Samsung is buying -> checking -> if Toshiba -> Return ?

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Yes and no. If you've never had a solid state drive before, and if someone hadn't pointed it out prior, you'd never likely notice the difference. I had Airs with both and the difference was imperceptible.

7. Sid-R thread starter macrumors member

Sid-R

Ok.. got it.
    But now u guys have planted the seed of doubt in my mind.. You evil people :D

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yup. The real world difference is so minuscule that the majority of people wouldn't know which drive is in the computer.

9. chanyitian macrumors regular

So if I am at the Apple Store, can I tell the staff that I only want macbook air with SSDs from Samsung?

10. EthanMiller macrumors member

Nope. There's no way to tell without powering the machine up. (Or opening it, I suppose) They won't do it for you. Do yourself a favor and don't check. You'll never be able to tell - the difference is in the range of 5%, which is effectively negligible at any reasonable use.

11. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yeah I wouldn't worry about what SSD you end up with. I have never actually checked my machine to see which I have.