am I missing something converting avi to mp4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guidoverduci, Nov 12, 2009.

1. guidoverduci macrumors member

Hi

I have over 500 avi files that I would like to import to itunes and be able to organize w/ cover art etc. However, all the applications that convert avi files take 1 hour or more converting each file. Is there any quicker solution?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    What programs have you used? I would try VisualHub or HandBrake. :)

3. guidoverduci thread starter macrumors member

used them both. Is it my MBP? I have the latest base model.

4. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

How long are the videos you're trying to convert? If it's taking an hour to convert a 20 minute TV show episode, then yeah, it may be the power of the computer you're using. If you're converting a full length movie, you're gonna have to get over it and have realistic expectations. Run conversions overnight while you sleep, or all day while you're at work; they'll be done before you know it.

But don't expect an hour long video file to convert to a different format in 10 minutes.

5. guidoverduci thread starter macrumors member

thanks, I was just making sure that I wasn't doing anything wrong. But if that's normal then I will deal with it. Is there an other alternative such as some way to organize your files in itunes but not change them from avi files?

6. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Not that I'm familiar with. I believe there's a way for Quicktime to make a reference file that can be imported into iTunes, but although the time required is less, the effort involved isn't worth it to me at least. I'd rather have iTunes organize the files themselves and to do that you'll need to convert and tag. It's an arduous process, but one you're not alone in having done. Enjoy.

7. FallibleClover macrumors newbie

If your running Snow Leopard it's pretty easy. Open the .avi file using Quicktime X, then Save As "Movie". Quicktime will save the file as .mov which can just be dragged into your iTunes Library. It only takes a few seconds to save the file like this. It also works a treat for .mkv files. I'm not sure if this works with Quicktime 7 in Leopard.

8. donelson macrumors member

I have 4-5 .avi files, which play fine in QT Player...

BUT....

They do not export from QT player with the audio sync correct, NOR do the encode properly via Turbo.264...

Any ideas?

9. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Visual Hub or iSquint

10. charlesbran macrumors newbie

handbrake isn't working for Power PC, expect that, there are many other tools can realize that application in converting avi to mp4 for mac, like format factory or mpeg streamclip and ffmpeg, and you aslo could try something like AVI Converter for Mac, hope it helps.

11. donelson macrumors member

iSquint worked fine, thanks.

What's the deal with Turbo.264 - are they thick or just unresponsive?

12. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Also, what kind of settings are you using? If you don’t mind quality loss, you can definitely convert them faster.

You obviously don’t have a Mac Pro:p