Am I missing something here? Massive security issue, this can't be real

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnnw, Nov 13, 2014.

1. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I just found out when I close my laptop and then re-open it later where it asks for the password you don't even need to do it!!!!

If you try to type the wrong password it says it's wrong as normal, but at the bottom of the lock screen it just lets me hit "cancel" and it signs right back into my account?

Whaaaaaat? What is going on?

2. stevemiller macrumors 68000

doesn't sound good... i couldn't replicate on my machine. i have no idea if there's some setting that could undermine it and cause auto-login or if its a full on bug on your system

3. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

can't replicate it here either. Try re-booting your system and check again?

4. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Do you have only screen-saver password set?

I couldn't reproduce this - hitting cancel just puts the machine back into sleep with a black screen.

Maybe you do actually have auto-login configured in your login preferences, and the password box is just for the screen saver? Even so, if the screen-saver is passport protected it should still prevent login.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

What OS? Couldn't replicate on Mavericks or Yosemite.

6. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

I couldn't replicate it either. Using Yosemite. However, when I closed the lid, re-opened it, put a wrong password in and hit cancel, the screen went black for a brief moment and the login screen came back again. Might be a bug. You may want to create a thread at the official Apple forums and see how that's going to treat you.