Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OscarTheGrouch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
G' Vegas South Carolina
Looking at the specs between the rmpb amd cmbp, all I can see is that the top end preconfig cmbp has an i7 and 2.9ghz as well as a standard Hdd. The rmbp both have a slower processor but have ssds? I understand ssd are faster, and retina displays are nicer but ultimately I don't need it the display. Are there any other reasons I am not thinking of that would make me want to choose a rmbp over a cmbp? Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not really if the screen and SSD don't interest you then it makes more sense to get a cMBP which offers more ports, storage and ram upgrade options and of course the optical drive. I realize on the rMBP the storage is upgradeable but the price is obscenely expensive

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
You can order a 13" rMBP with a 2.9Ghz or 3.0Ghz i7, it just isn't one of the standard models. Also the 15" has a much faster CPU because it is quad core.

Other reasons to consider the retina models are weight and cooling. The cMBP does both intake and exhaust through the hinge, the rMBPs have dedicated air intakes and use the hinge as exhaust only.

Last edited:

OscarTheGrouch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
G' Vegas South Carolina
You can order a 13" rMBP with a 2.9Ghz or 3.0Ghz i7, it just isn't one of the standard models. Also the 15" has a much faster CPU because it is quad core.

Other reasons to consider the retina models are weight and cooling. The cMBP does both intake and exhaust through the hinge, the rMBPs have dedicated air intakes and use the hinge as exhaust only.

This however may be enough to make me change my mind. Especially with the processor being less than 200.00. I'd love a quad core but size is also a concern as I am going back to school. 15" is a big computer 13" is about perfect.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Not really if the screen and SSD don't interest you then it makes more sense to get a cMBP which offers more ports, storage and ram upgrade options and of course the optical drive. I realize on the rMBP the storage is upgradeable but the price is obscenely expensive

Not sure which rMBP you're comparing...but the 15" model has more 'ports' (I/O)---including a second Thunderbolt and HDMI along with an SD slot. The SSDs are spendy...but nice n thin, a different form factor than the typical 2.5" SSD, which allows for a smaller more compact body of the computer itself. While the $400 'up-charge' for the 768 (vs. the 512) seems steep, these are proprietary drives...and typically a decent 256GB SSD goes for 225-250 (Sam 840) with a few bucks shipping...as well as time invested putting it in. If you're savvy and can do the upgrade yourself with confidence, obviously this isn't relevant (pending what your time is worth)....but if you have a computer shop/repair joint put it in there for ya, probably another $50. Taking a look around New Egg for SSDs larger than 512GB, prices skyrocket. You can get an out of stock Intel 320 600GB @ $850....an OCZ refurb 1TB @ $1500...or the Intel 910 PCI-E 800GB for a buck under $4,000! $400 seems pretty reasonable to me for the upgrade...the Apple Tax, as buyers and lovers of Apple gear, we all pay it. In this case, an extra C Note for the upgrade and everything that blade SSD allows the enclosure and computer itself to be...I'm not sure I would call the upgrade 'obscenely expensive'.

Edit---After writing this, I did notice Crucial is selling a 960GB SSD (2.5"), @ an absolute bargain $599, direct. That actually floored me...and I think it's the best deal out there...right now. Just wanted to make the point once you cross that 512 (500) threshold, they get spendy---quick. And these were sold a year ago, when they were even more;)

This however may be enough to make me change my mind. Especially with the processor being less than 200.00. I'd love a quad core but size is also a concern as I am going back to school. 15" is a big computer 13" is about perfect.

The rMBP is just over 4 pounds (15"). It's not a large computer...bigger than the 13, yep! But the power, speed, display and GPU are all 'better' on the 15", especially right now...as we wait on the iGPU Haswell update to the 13". When that happens...it may be a different story.

Good Luck---You can't go wrong, regardless;) You're looking at the 'right' computers IMO. The Retina models are extremely impressive---but you may benefit from a cMBP. If you've got a local Apple Store, it's worth the look. Hard to explain but the feel and body of the rMBP (both 13 and 15" models) is incredible!

J

Last edited:

OscarTheGrouch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
G' Vegas South Carolina
Not sure which rMBP you're comparing...but the 15" model has more 'ports' (I/O)---including a second Thunderbolt and HDMI along with an SD slot. The SSDs are spendy...but nice n thin, a different form factor than the typical 2.5" SSD, which allows for a smaller more compact body of the computer itself. While the $400 'up-charge' for the 768 (vs. the 512) seems steep, these are proprietary drives...and typically a decent 256GB SSD goes for 225-250 (Sam 840) with a few bucks shipping...as well as time invested putting it in. If you're savvy and can do the upgrade yourself with confidence, obviously this isn't relevant (pending what your time is worth)....but if you have a computer shop/repair joint put it in there for ya, probably another $50. Taking a look around New Egg for SSDs larger than 512GB, prices skyrocket. You can get an out of stock Intel 320 600GB @ $850....an OCZ refurb 1TB @ $1500...or the Intel 910 PCI-E 800GB for a buck under $4,000! $400 seems pretty reasonable to me for the upgrade...the Apple Tax, as buyers and lovers of Apple gear, we all pay it. In this case, an extra C Note for the upgrade and everything that blade SSD allows the enclosure and computer itself to be...I'm not sure I would call the upgrade 'obscenely expensive'.

The rMBP is just over 4 pounds (15"). It's not a large computer...bigger than the 13, yep! But the power, speed, display and GPU are all 'better' on the 15", especially right now...as we wait on the iGPU Haswell update to the 13". When that happens...it may be a different story.

Good Luck---You can't go wrong, regardless;) You're looking at the 'right' computers IMO. The Retina models are extremely impressive---but you may benefit from a cMBP. If you've got a local Apple Store, it's worth the look. Hard to explain but the feel and body of the rMBP (both 13 and 15" models) is incredible!

J
I'm thinking I will go with the basic Rmbp and upgrade the processor. I'll be getting an education discount, so those pretty much balance out with each other there. 15" is too big, and as long as I have 2 USB ports I'm good. I've always been an Apple fan, just had to migrate away for a few years due to $$. But the last macbook I had (white) lasted me 5 years where as in 4 years I have been through 2.5 "PC" notebook computers.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

The 15" retina is lighter than the 13" non-retina. You can sometimes find them in the refurbished store for $1599 US which should be pretty close to the price of a new 13" retina with the CPU upgrade.

You can also sometimes find good deals on the i7 13" retina at resellers like MacMall.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Max configurable CPUs are:

13":
rMBP - 3540M
cMBP - 3520M

15":
rMBP - 3840QM
cMBP - 3820QM

As you can see, the rMBPs come with marginally faster top-end CPUs. They also have overclocked GPUs and optimised RAM, so they perform slightly faster on average. The GPU is actually noticeable, the RAM less so...

I'm thinking I will go with the basic Rmbp and upgrade the processor. I'll be getting an education discount, so those pretty much balance out with each other there.

Why do you need a faster CPU? The real-world difference is around 5%, and that is under heavy load. Unless you are doing video encoding on your machine all the time, you won't notice any difference. And if you are doing video encoding all the time, why not get a desktop in the first place? ;)

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I'm thinking I will go with the basic Rmbp and upgrade the processor. I'll be getting an education discount, so those pretty much balance out with each other there. 15" is too big, and as long as I have 2 USB ports I'm good. I've always been an Apple fan, just had to migrate away for a few years due to $$. But the last macbook I had (white) lasted me 5 years where as in 4 years I have been through 2.5 "PC" notebook computers.

I don't think a processor upgrade is a cost effective upgrade. Few people push the processor to its limits. The only time mine gets above 20% is when I'm running Handbrake. More memory and a SSD makes for a faster machine than a faster processor. I went from a 2007 MBP to my late 2011 MBP. The performance boost from installing the SSD was greater then the 4 year leap in processor.

OscarTheGrouch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
G' Vegas South Carolina
The computer will be used primarily for school work (majoring in information management) and photo editing. Ultimately again the difference isn't a huge amount, but I'll take a little bit extra where I can get it. I went with the rmbp upgraded the processor but otherwise stock config. Financed for 18 months for free. I figure I'm capable of upgrading ram or ssd, but not capable of upgrading the processor.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
The computer will be used primarily for school work (majoring in information management) and photo editing. Ultimately again the difference isn't a huge amount, but I'll take a little bit extra where I can get it. I went with the rmbp upgraded the processor but otherwise stock config. Financed for 18 months for free. I figure I'm capable of upgrading ram or ssd, but not capable of upgrading the processor.
No, you cannot upgrade the RAM on rMBPs.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
It comes with 8GB which is the max anyway correct?

It was more of a general statement- I trust myself with upgrading those two things, but not fiddling with a processor.

The 13" rMBP has 8GB of soldered RAM, which is the only RAM option. The 15" lets you choose between 8GB and 16GB but again it's soldered so must be chosen when you order.

The SSD isn't soldered and can be replaced with another Apple OEM unit or the compatible SSDs that OWC manufactures.

Sammorama

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
The size difference is significant Imo - smaller footprint, lower weight, thinner...

Coming with 8GB an SSD and the screen is also great.

A cMBP with 8GB and an SSD is close to the retina price anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.