Am I normal ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dr. McKay, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Dr. McKay, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

I have slowly been switching over from my iMac to the new MBA as my main computer and... wow, I never want to go back again !

Everything about the laptop is just amazing. Build quality, form factor, the keyboard, the amazing multitouch trackpad that makes me wonder why I ever needed a mouse... Did I mention it's fast, too ?

I've never been in love with a computer before, but I am now. It's a completely new experience. I wanna take it out to dinner, buy it flowers, give it a massage, possibly even sleep with it...

For 14 years now, every Mac I've owned and used, has been like a friend to me. But now, I'm ready to take it one step further. It's time to make it official. I'm a Mac user, and I'm happy !

2. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Yes, it's normal. :>

With Haswell, MBA is just ridiculously amazing.

That form factor combined with 12+ hours run time is hard to beat, having a decent iGPU (HD 5000) is just a bonus.

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I could recommend a good therapist......

4. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was, of course, not entirely serious...

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Thats fine I guess, but I am beginning to believe that 'real' mac aficionado's are a little nuts- besides being normal is so blasé these days ;)

Glad we can welcome you to the family x

6. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I've been using Macs for over 14 years now, but I guess computers like this MBA are the reason why I stuck with Apple all these years.

7. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    I too go between my iMac and my 2011 MBA 13". The MBA is a fantastic machine and I've got no real complaints, but the way I've set up the iMac (early 2013 21" with FD), I can move from one to the other without having to make any real changes, as I keep most of the oft used files on iCloud and have pared down what I keep on the MBA (photos and music) to save space. This way I have a highly portable machine for travel and a bigger screened powerhouse with huge storage capability for times I need the screen size.

This is how it should be - where you can move from one device to the other and have them all sync'd to be as if they were a single device.

8. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Nope your all good! I switched from late 2008 macbook and I am using my 2013 MBA more now then ever, my ipad mini is getting no quality time either. It's nice to have a fast computer with the lag time.

9. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

I sold my iMac to my father-in-law, who has been a PC afficionado for longer than I can remember (he bought an iPad last year and an iPod for my mother-in-law so I guess the Apple halo effect still works).
    It's a mid 2011 model with a quad core i5 so it's certainly no slouch, but the HDD slows it down, I admit (I use to be skeptical when it came to SSD drives).

I use the MBA all the time now and my iPhone 4S of course. My wife and kids use the iPad all the time (she only uses her Dell POS when she absolutely has to use Excel or Word) and the iPod is hers as well.
    But I feel that the MBA and the iPhone are all I'll ever need. The iPad's nice, but it's not really my thing. Besides, I can perfectly hold the MBA in one hand and use the trackpad with my other hand : bam, an iPad on steroids ! :D

10. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

you know...they make a mac version of office so you could dump that "pos" altogether if you really wanted :D

11. SusanK macrumors 68000

Totally normal. If a person does not love the Mac they don't deserve it.

12. Sassers macrumors member

I'm with you! Although, I'm a relatively new convert to the Mac. I adored my iMac (late 2012) when I got it - was amazed at the display, speed, the integration with all my iDevices. Since I got an iPad mini as a supplemental ereader, my full size iPad was serving as a semi-computer when I'd sit on the couch or outside and do some computer-type things - but there's just so much it couldn't do comfortably.

So, I decided to replace the full iPad with a base MBA. Now, wow, I'm always on the MBA, and hardly even look at my iMac anymore. The MBA has that beautiful form factor, it's ridiculously fast, super light but so well made and the battery charge - oh, my. If they'd just bump the screen up a bit...I mean, it's not bad, it's actually pretty good unless I look at my iMac, but I'd love it to be slightly closer to a retina resolution (without sacrificing battery, weight or speed, of course!) Other than that, though, I'm completely in my MBA's thrall.

I can't get rid of my iMac, because I do need its power & graphics card for some 3D work I might get into again soon, but if I didn't have that need, I'd go MBA solo. I just wish I had upgraded the MBA a bit when I bought it, but I couldn't justify it in my mind because it was just replacing a tablet! My next one, though ... max memory, SSD, CPU .. yep yep.

13. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I'd say people who don't love the Mac's they own are the ones who aren't normal ;)

14. Sassers macrumors member

Hehe - I always scoffed at Mac users before because every last one of them loved their Macs - I could never find anyone who had a Mac and hated it, and I was sure those mac lovers were just delusional - it's only a computer!

Now ... I get it and feel equally normal :)

15. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I imagine how good the haswell mba is, 12 hours battery life, so thin, pcie ssd... I can't wait to own a mac again (sold mine to my GF 'cause I needed money and she needed a good laptop!)

16. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

My wife always tells me that I like my MacBook Air more than I like her. So to shut her up, I bought her a MacBook Air. :D

17. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I know what you mean.

I had my MBP hooked up to a 24" LCD for a while, so the laptop itself was off to the side while I typed on a Apple Wireless keyboard and used the Apple trackpad. I updated to Mavericks GM and have been enjoying it, but it wasn't until I went somewhere with the laptop and used it, by itself, that I realized that I really enjoy this laptop more than any other I've owned.

Sure it works great almost as a desktop hooked up to a big LCD, but there's something special about using it on your lap; the screen, the feel of the keyboard, the unibody build, etc. I know this is an Air forum, but they are similar in build and feel.

Every detail of the hardware, internal and external and the software has so much thought put into it, you just don't get that feeling with a Windows machine. Using it without the external LCD felt so much more personal and enjoyable, it's hard to explain.