am I nuts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mopppish, Oct 28, 2006.

  1. mopppish macrumors 6502

    Nov 27, 2005
    Hi, all.
    I got a white Macbook less than 2 weeks ago, and it's a great machine. There's some CPU whine, and although it's annoying, I guess I could deal with it.
    Now that the new C2D MBP's are out and people are calling them "silent and cool", I'm seriously considering returning the MB for a new MBP (baseline model).
    The Macbook has plenty of power for me. I do some audio work, but from what I've tested on it so far, the 2.0ghz Core Duo would likely be enough for me for a few years. I never really considered the MBP until these new ones came out, but I'm totally into the fact that there's no CPU whine. Also, I'd probably feel much less inclined to replace a MBP for at least a few years, where as with the MB I was planning to replace it as soon as I graduated college (1 1/2 years).
    I'm OK with the 10% restocking fee because I bought 2 1GB RAM modules for the MB, and returning/selling one of those would offset that cost.
    I'm not really stressing about it, but I was just wondering what your opinions were.
  2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Jun 21, 2006
    You're not at all nuts. With the release of the C2D MacBook Pro, refurb prices are extremely close to the prices for brand new MacBooks. Additionally, the MacBook is currently a poor value considering that it approaches MacBook Pro pricing when similarly equipped. Go ahead and return it, and either wait for the new MacBooks or get a MacBook Pro regret-free.
  3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030


    Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    All I can say is I know exactly how you feel. My head says to tell you to just keep the MB since it serves your needs well, and just be happy. But in reality, I know that's not so easy!

    Now that the new C2D MBPs are out, I've convinced myself into selling my blackbook in order to purchase one. Do I need it? No. Was the blackbook working for me just fine? Sure. Yeah, there are perks to having a MBP, but are any of them really necessary? No.

    But, despite that, my blackbook is on eBay and here I am trying to decide whether to go glossy or matte. :rolleyes:

    What I figure:
    1. (doesn't really apply to you, but) eBay will probably pay what I paid for my blackbook and its upgrades, since I got most of them discounted/cheaper. Heck, with the way eBayers are, I may even end up making money off the sale.

    2. There are a lot of rumors going around that the MB will be upgraded soon. When that happens, mine will take a hit, and the bleeding edge in me will undoubtedly be disappointed. The MBP, on the other hand, was just updated, so it'll be a while still.

    3. I don't think I'll feel so inclined to upgrade the MBP any time soon, as I would with the blackbook. And, even if I do, in a year's time, the MBP would fetch much more on eBay than the blackbook would.

    4. They're just so.. nice!

    Anyways, for you, I'd say buy the best you can afford. If you can afford the MBP without worrying about spending the extra cash, then go for it. It'll last you longer, anyways.
  4. Dubba macrumors regular

    Oct 4, 2006
    Nairobi, Kenya
    I don't think you are nuts; I received a 15" MBP CD from AppleCare as a replacement for a 12" PB that died. I sold it last Monday, just before the C2D MBPs came out, and was going to use the proceeds towards a fully kitted-out white MB.

    However, since the new MBPs C2Ds came out, I am leaning towards a 17" (I know it is a long way from the MB). The difference in cost is going to be about £400/$700 (buying from the student ADC store in the US) over the MB, which I think is worth it for the extra 1GB of RAM and 40GB hard drive, not to mention the screen real estate, etc.

    Perhaps I have a biased point of view as I want one myself, but I don't think it is crazy.
  5. Kiscokid macrumors member

    Oct 19, 2005
    No - i think it would be human nature to think like that. As long as you have the resource to do it - then there would be no reason to hold back IMO. Good luck
  6. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    what you really meant was you'd rather have the machine that doesn't whine.

    best take the MB back and get a MBP.
  7. mopppish thread starter macrumors 6502

    Nov 27, 2005
    You guys sure do know how to loosen my wallet! :D
  8. sulhaq macrumors regular


    Jul 29, 2006
    The first question to ask would be can you even return it now? If I'm not mistaken apple has a 14 day return policy and you said you've had it for 2 weeks, so aren't you past the return period now?

    However, if you can return it then go ahead and do it. I can't tell you how hard it was for me to not buy a new computer. My hp was continuously dying on me and I needed a fast and capable machine to design digital filters in matlab. Every day I'd almost order a MBP, but, somehow I prevailed and let me tell you I can't be happier now. It's one of the best decisions I ever made and I can hardly wait for my c2d to be delivered now. Sure you can be logical that you don't NEED it, but lets face it you need that warm fuzzy feeling inside that you have a defect free latest machine! I know I did, and it's great. So go ahead and return it and enjoy your new mbp.
  9. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601


    May 29, 2005
    Send your macbook back before it's too late & buy that macboo pro! :D

    i hate you. :eek: i'm so jealous! :D
  10. mopppish thread starter macrumors 6502

    Nov 27, 2005
    Tuesday (coincidence?) is the last day I can return it, so I still have time.

Share This Page