Am I on the right track?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by waloshin, Mar 31, 2009.

1. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Hey, isn't there another thread on this??

A: I'll be totally honest with you, no.

I suggest you switch to a development platform that allows a skin or template to be introduced into the mix. Your first design had flaws in color selection and image quality, but it's simplicity was its strength. Anyone visiting would find navigation simple and to the point, a rare thing in sites these days. Your "new" design makes things overly complex, looks boxy, loses focus on the subject matter and uses unnecessary "devices" to fit as much content as possible into a small well area (i.e. content with scrollbars, left well). The new layout has menus in the wrong place (should always be left or top, remember users can constrain their browser windows, they get smaller on the right side as they drag the right corner to the left, for example). I also find the 3 well liquid layout to be boring these days, plus yours is not implemented properly (unequal length in well 1 and 3 working left to right. This misplaces the footer as well.

So I'd say you're working backwards, sorry to say, in terms of absorbing the suggestions in design commonly posted here on this forum. I suggest switching to a template because you need help in core design, and should focus more on content, which for now is your strength. The template will also teach you about design, to make you more well rounded in the future, but it doesn't all happen at once. One step at a time.

I'm sorry if this is not what you expected, but -- you asked. Someone else might come along and completely disagree with me and that's okay, too. I'm just one opinion of many, so wait for some more feedback.

-jim

2. torndownunit macrumors regular

I'd only like to add that if you are learning as you go I think you did make some improvements from that side of things. You are obviously making an effort.

But I agree that the design/layout of the site just does not work very well. And the layout that is there is just displaying correctly.

I agree with SirWeb that you should look into some templates. From what you have done, it's obvious you could figure out what's going on in a template and edit it. It could only help you I think to approach things from that angle. You would still be learning/teaching yourself something.