Am I out of luck?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dman24, May 1, 2008.

1. Dman24 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I recently bought a Macbook to replace a Toshiba Satellite notebook that I had for about 4 years. The Toshiba's charging port started to go and eventually I couldn't charge it or turn it on. I had made it a practice of backing up a lot of information onto an external HD but stupidly I hadn't done that for a while and I have some information on that notebook that I cant get out as well as some more iTunes music that I had purchased from the iTunes store. Is there any way I can transfer that information now? Or for the iTunes music is there any way I can access my purchased music on my Macbook? Thanks!

2. MM07 macrumors 6502a

Take the hard drive out of the Toshiba and put it in an external enclosure. You will then be able to get all those files.

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Let me get this straight. You have a new MacBook. You have an old Toshiba that doesn't work, and you have an external hard drive. Any backed up info on the external hard drive can be moved to your new MacBook.

Now for the data you have on the Toshiba and would like to move to the MacBook. If the Toshiba doesn't work... do you plan to get it fixed or are you going to 'chuck it'. If you plan to 'chuck it' you could take the hard drive out of the Toshiba and put it in one of those external drive enclosures you can buy for about $30. You could then get access to the data on the Toshiba hard drive.

In the future you can also back up you music collection on dvds... iTunes provides a very easy way to do this...

Good luck.

4. Dman24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as external HD enclosures? After doing a little research, I found out I need a 2.5 inch PATA hard drive enclosure. Does anyone have an idea as to brand/type to get? Thanks!