iPad Am I out of options? Please help!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by elaniemay, Feb 15, 2014.

1. elaniemay, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I have a 3rd generation iPad. It has always worked perfectly, zero problems at all. I stopped using it last February because I upgraded my phone to a phone with a larger screen and I found myself pretty content with just using my phone. Recently, I have had an increased need for reading and wanted to start using my iPad again. When I tried to use it, it said it needed to upgrade the iOS. I tried to do it over the air, and it errored out. It then began a loop of trying to upgrade, erroring out, shutting down, restarting, rinse, wash, repeat. Even if I shut it off, it would boot back up and continue this process. I tried connecting it to iTunes to appease it by upgrading that way, but it was unable to complete the update because it continued to shut down and restart.

I called Apple to see what they would say. I am out of warranty, but they decided to troubleshoot it for me regardless. I told the tech that I didn't care if I erased everything on the iPad, so he recommended a factory restore. We started that process, and it got stuck. He had me use a different cable (both that I tried were official Apple cables), switch the USB connection to the rear connection of the computer, verified that I did not have a firewall or security software interfering, but the same Error 3 message came up RIGHT at the last second of the update. After being transferred to a few different techs, they told me it was shot.

I looked it up online and apparently I am not the only one with this problem. Some people tried some weird things like putting the iPad in the freezer for a bit to cool the chips, which I even tried that, but it did not work for me. I tried to download an older version of iOS, but it still would not work.

Does anyone have any idea that I can try? This iPad worked perfectly the last time I used it and then suddenly it completely tanked. It is a WiFi + Cellular, 64gb, white 3rd generation model. I really need it for reading now. I was told I could send it to Apple and pay about $300 for a repair, but then I start to wonder if I should just try saving up for a new model. I really am stuck. I just want this one fixed because aside from whatever is horribly wrong, it's in mint condition (I realize that's a huge "aside from").

Please, if you have any thoughts, let me know. I take excellent care of my devices and honestly cannot figure out why this happened. If there is additional information that you need, let me know. I tried to include everything I could think of.

Edited to add:
    I also tried doing a restore through iTunes using a different computer, forgot to mention that. I downloaded TinyUmbrella as well and tried to get out of restore mode using that, and it did not work. The entire time I was not using the iPad, it was store in its case in my nightstand drawer.

FINAL EDIT:
    I went to my appt at Apple and the tech tried to fix it, but it officially could not be restored. He offered me a replacement at $299, and I am going to accept. I purchased an iPad Air on Saturday because I simply couldn't be without one any longer, so I am going to recycle my husband's iPad 2 and put that gift card toward the new iPad 3. It is an upgrade for him, since he only had a 32gb iPad 2 (wifi only) and the replacement will be a brand new 64gb iPad 3 (wifi & AT&T). So, I guess that's the best of a bad situation. And...I do love this iPad Air.

Thank you all for all your suggestions. I think I should probably go for AppleCare+ for the Air...

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

What happens if you connect it to iTunes and try and do an update from within iTunes?

3. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

It detects that there is an iPad in recovery mode and begins the restore process. It goes for about 20 minutes, then once the status bar fills up during the last step, it pauses (almost like it is finished) and then gives me an error code stating that an error occurred and the process could not complete (I don't know the exact wording, but can connect and get it if that will help). It does show (3) at the end, which I assume is the error code number.

4. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Let it charge from a USB Charger block until it has a full charge. Then power off the iPad. Plug your charging cable into your computer, start iTunes and with the power off on the iPad, hold down the home button and then plug in the connector to the iPad and it should go into the restore process.

I just read your update. Try using iTunes from a different computer if possible.

5. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I forgot to mention that part, I did try to use iTunes on a different computer. Actually, on my laptop that had never had iTunes on it before. It did the exact same thing.

I just plugged it in to charge, but honestly I have no idea how charged it is because it only shows the screen with the picture of the charging cable and iTunes on it.

6. braddick, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014

braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

What worked for me was to erase all settings and data on the iPad itself (only if not jailbroken). Once this is complete- set it up minimally (such as getting to the step of logging in with your password).
    Once you've done that try again with iTunes.

Edited:

::Whoops::
    You're on the iTunes screen. . . before proceeding with my advice use tinyumbrella to kick it out of the state it's in.

7. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

It is bricked now. The Apple tech had me try to do a factory restore and it is stuck in Recovery Mode, so I cannot access anything on the iPad. And no, it was not jailbroken.

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

^
    I was editing as you were responding.
    Try tinyumbrella as that has worked for me.

It is nearly impossible to brick an iPad unless it is a hardware issue and I doubt, based on what you've described, it is.

9. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I tried TinyUmbrella and it would not take it out of recovery mode. :(

I have researched and researched this problem and pretty much try every suggestion I read. I can't shake the feeling that I can fix this, though...I just don't know how.

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

Couldn't you take it to an apple store and get them to restore it to factory empty?

11. Prawnstar69 macrumors regular

recovery mode and DFU is the something? or different? does it show the iTunes sign with a cable in recovery mode or is it black just like DFU? it not i would try doing a DFU restore.

12. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I tried DFU mode on Saturday and it still did not work. I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow as a final effort to get this issue resolved. Fingers crossed...

13. Capt T macrumors 6502a

You tried on a different computer, but did you try it with a new iTunes account?

I had something like this with my iPhone a few years back, and they had me plug it in as a new user on the computer as well as iTunes to restore.

Might be worth a try?

14. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

It's quite unusual that DFU restore didn't work.

15. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I did not try using a new account, but there's no reason not to give it a shot! I don't remember ever logging in on the iTunes account on my laptop...but perhaps I did it as a reflex. If it was in recovery mode the entire time, could I still have logged in?

----------

Does that mean anything to you? I mean, does it signal that it is more likely to be X problem than Y problem? I still can't get over that my iPad went from perfect to brick after merely trying to update the software...:(

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

New USB cable and dfu restore should work unless there is a true hardware issue.

17. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay