Am I Overprotecting the iPhone 6s Plus through this method?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arjun90, Dec 16, 2015.

1. arjun90 macrumors member

arjun90

Here's what I was thinking,

Invisible-shielding all areas of the iPhone, including screen, back, and sides with clear skin
    Followed by Otterbox Defender Series Case (with built in screen protector)
    Is this theoretically possible? Or would the fit be too tight?

2. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

I doubt the invisible shield is thick enough to affect the fit of the phone in any case. I guess if you want to keep your phone mint it makes sense but I could never put up with something like that Otterbox case.

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Invisible shield screen protector might interfere with the Otterbox screen protector...

4. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

There are a few other military grade cases that are slimmer. I personally don't like the contractor look that the thick otter box cases makes the phone appear to be!

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Why is the invisible skin necessary if you are putting it into a case? I have a thin fit case and a screen protector on mine.

6. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I would question how well your screen will function, with two screen protectors...

On the other hand, I have heard of people complaining of scratches on their phones when they've been in a case. If any grit gets trapped in the case, it's going to scratch. But I'd rather have a slightly scratched phone than carry a brick in my pocket. That's probably just me, though...

C

7. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

Expensive case from https://society6.com/
    And then a glass screen protector

Must be glass because it feels nicer to my sensitive fingers and must be custom case because its all about personality.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I HATE cases!

Especially Otterbox!!!

All I use is a screen protector and that's just to protect against scratches.

9. EdisEdward macrumors 6502a

ignore all the haters. you spent your own money and it was a sizeable investment- about $1000. do whatever setup u like.

10. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

He/she asked for opinions...

C

11. arjun90 thread starter macrumors member

arjun90

The day phones are rugged is the day these types of discussions will no longer be necessary :D

12. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Define "rugged". Do you need a pristine phone at the end of it's life? Or do you just want a phone that works like a phone is supposed to?

I'm not concerned about my iPhone 6s being "rugged", but I'm not concerned about a scratch or two. If the screen happens to break, it's not the end of the world even; it's a tool to me, not a piece of art or jewelry. I'd rather have a slightly slimmer hunk of technology in my pocket.

To each their own, though... If you want to protect your phone with 2 or 3 levels of protection, knock yourself out. I suspect it should fit fine.

C

13. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I just got a 6s+ and an OtterBox defender case. I only use the Otterbox when I take the GPS out in the woods to use it as a GPS and GIS data collection tool. But I like the solid feel and the "contractor look". :)

But the 6s+ really says "tablet" when it's inside the Otterbox. I don't really mind that, but it's pretty bulky to carry around. The belt clip/holster works, but is rather awkward. So I also got a slim regular case for everyday use.

I fully agree with @CNeufeld "it's a tool to me, not a piece of art or jewelry", I am not worried about scratching it. But I do want protection when needed. Yesterday I was marking GPS coordinates of the creek in the woods out back. I dropped the phone several times in a muddy area. No problem with the Otterbox. Might have been a problem without it. ;)

14. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Even with a case, the aluminum will get scratches. Unless the case has zero flex and nothing can get trapped in it. Yet to see a case like that though!

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I used to do this with my 3g/s phones because they were plastic and scratched easily (and I went through a phase where I wanted to "go naked" sometimes).

Ultimately, if you aren't going caseless for any amount of time this is a waste of money IMO. Unless you are in a high grit environment, your aluminum isn't going to get any noticeable scratches.

16. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Three Choices

1) Follow your plan, greatly impairing the tactile and audible experience.

2) Leave it in the factory packaging unused with no chance of being damaged.

3) Buck up, remember it's just an overpriced smartphone, and use it.