Am I paranoid or is this serious?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheShinyMac, Aug 7, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Hey! I have the Early 2008 MBP 15in with the dreaded 8600GTM that will blow up" at any random time. School is starting soon and I am worried that this thing will just stop working at the worst time. IE when a paper is due, my video production class needs my power etc.etc.

As of now the computer runs really hot with just iTunes, Safari, and Finder;). I've already had the computer repaired by Apple for a cracking hinge, non clicking trackpad, and dead pixels which they did not fix. What should I do? I am going to buy and external HDD soon to back up but I don't see how that would help if I can even access the data until I get the computer fixed. What would you do in this situation?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Nah, you're just seriously paranoid! :D
    I have the same model and I don't worry about it. Chances are very great that if it hasn't failed by now, it's not going to. If it does, Apple will replace it. Be sure to keep regular backups of your work, in the event that happens (which you should be doing anyway.)
    Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, among other things. It's very likely your temps are quite normal.
    Superb idea.
    Do the backup and chill out. As I said, it's highly unlikely that it will fail, and with the backup, all you risk is a day or two of downtime.

3. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Thanks for the detailed response! Now I'm feeling a little more relaxed:eek: At the first sign of artifacts should I just bring it into Apple if they occur? Also I forgot to mention that the LED on the Magsafe is not lighting up anymore but the MBP is charging, it doesn't bother me that it isn't lighting up, just want to make sure that is ok.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Where are the dead pixels on your monitor? I had one in the centre of the screen, and after contacting trading standards (UK version of BBB) they agreed to replace the display due to the placement of the pixel.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have any problems that you can't resolve yourself, it's recommended that you contact AppleCare for support.
    Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

6. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

They are in the bottom left and there is about 4 of them, all dead white but dissapear when on a dark background. Apple told me that they were user damage which I think is bull because If it was, more than 3 pixels would be damaged and the screen would not function, but I just said ok and thanks for fixing everything else! Maybe I should try my luck at a different store?