Am I paranorid?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nyy8, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

So, I open up SMC fancontrol, and I see my iMac running at like.. 120F, I freak out and kick up the fans to from like 1K RPMs to like 2.5K RPMS and knock the temp down to 100F.. Is what im going wrong? I need some guidance here.

2. Stolz25 macrumors member

If you have to ask if you are paranoid you are probably paranoid.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

120F is very normal. My iMac (27" i7 2.93GHz) right now is at 142F and all I'm doing is running Chrome, Tweetdeck, iTunes and Firefox as the main apps open.

Don't be paranoid.... enjoy your iMac. ;):)

4. oscolivar1, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

oscolivar1 macrumors newbie

i get paranoid too but 120 is pretty normal. When i first got the Imac seeing temps in the 165-175+ range i got really paranoid. Before I start playing diablo3, portal, or SC2 I kick up the fans pretty high to stay below 140F(3hr+ gaming) on the GPU. IMO the imac runs to hot just browsing, youtube etc and doing anything CPU heavy. It maybe paranoid that i have fans in the back of my IMAC too, but temps are low and the back of the Imac never gets scorching hot, only warm to the touch. I don't have apple care so I figure being paranoid is fine.

5. Bendrix macrumors member

does the iMac's outer shell material affect the heat retention? that and the completely sealed design seem conducive to heat. but maybe there's some engineering built into the iMac to counteract this.

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

What iMac is completely sealed now? I don't think any currently are - even if they were, the aluminum surface area would help keep temps pretty low.

A lot of the iMac hardware is the mobile type - and mobile hardware is designed be able to handle temperatures well in excess of 120F.... Now if you were 120C, I'd be a little concerned...

7. oscolivar1 macrumors newbie

The aluminum is doing its job of of dissipating heat. Notice Imacs run hot at the top while the bottom stays cool. Thats the way it cools it self. Its true the hardware is safe, but are the LCD's safe being so close to the heat? I dont think they are so I'm keeping mine extremely cool...

8. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I tend to worry about stuff like that too, but just remember that millions of dollars of engineering went into designing every aspect of the machine. The effects of heat is a common concern in electronics, so I'm sure that it was well thought out, especially by Apple. Yes, there's the occasional story of a screen yellowing due to heat, but that's literally one in 100's of thousands if not millions. You'll end up wearing out the fans and they'll start making an awful rattling noise.

9. Oderus macrumors newbie

10. oscolivar1, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

oscolivar1 macrumors newbie

Im not wearing out the fans if the fans gradually get that high if not higher when I start gaming. Might as well start the fans up now to prevent the heat. i dont have the yellow tinting, but i do have grey streak marks on the top left of my screen. Only can see it in white/grey background, other than that they're not visible while gaming or watching movies.

Has anyones fans rpm maxed out before? or whats the highest they've seen so far?

11. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

27" 2011 iMac. Just browsing the internet.

Attached Files:

12. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Odd numbers in temps is normal, even numbers are not. Usually means that there is some kind of trojan that allows the government to monitor you, even letting them take screen shots and trace your internet searches. Your best bet is to cover the laptop in tin foil. That will keep the signals from escaping.