Am I paying for Apple Mail account? ("@me.com")

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by elgrayso, Feb 17, 2015.

1. elgrayso macrumors member

I've had my icloud (previously called "mobile me") email for many years. My address is *****@me.com
    I began it when I was in college, years ago. I figured it was still being paid for by my parents, because I don't get any bills for it.
    I logged into icloud.com to look and see how the payments were set up so i could transfer them to my own account. However, I was unable to find any sort of payment options!

I know this email service costs money, or at least it used to. I can't figure out where the payment is set up though!

Does anyone know where this is set up?

PS: Will the "@me" domain stop working at some point (they dont call it "mobile me" anymore.. Do I need to start using "@icloud" instead?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It might, but I doubt it. I still use my @mac.com address and it's been working for years now, even as Apple's transitioned to @me.com and now @icloud.com.

4. elgrayso thread starter macrumors member

can they be used interchangably? like if i started using "@mac.com", I wouldn't notice any difference or cause problems? (just curious, i probably wont change it)

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I believe they can be used interchangeably (for sure @me and @icloud can be).

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I use all three without issue.

As for charging... That stopped a couple of years ago.

7. elgrayso thread starter macrumors member

8. impaler macrumors 6502

The iCloud service is free up to 5GB of usage, which includes e-mail, documents, etc. The only way you're technically paying for iCloud mail is if you're using more than 5GB of space for everything. As others have stated, .mac, .me and .icloud accounts are all aliased to the same account, and can be used interchangably for the original email address. For new aliases, they can only end in .icloud. I use my xxxx@mac.com as my primary and have for many years. If someone sent it to xxxx@me.com or xxxx@icloud.com it would go to the same inbox.