Am I preaching to the choir?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Feb 7, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Am I crazy? I have been posting that I sincerely believe the issues with the iPhone are not network based but hardware based(iPhone). The iPhone works without issues overseas because of the radio frequency overseas compared to the USA.

According to AT&T techs there are VERY few issues with non iPhone smartphones compared to the iPhone.
    I have to say I do have very few issues with my AT&T iPhone however our sons who have AT&T androids don't have nearly the amount of issues I have. So the AT&T tech seems to be correct.

I would assume if the hardware issues weren't fixed for the Verizon iPhone then Verizon iPhone tarted might experience what AT&T have experienced.

Am I crazy?

2. MarlboroLite, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

They are NOT hardware based. This is a US problem only. AT&T is simply not up to par with their network in too many areas, therefore weak signals or oversaturation with lack of proper infrastructure will cause dropped calls and bad overall service.

If you live right next to an AT&T cell tower or in an area where they ARE up to par then you will not have any problems. This is not an issue in Europe. I know because I lived in Paris for 18 months with an iPhone 3G and never had the kinds of problems people with iphones in trouble AT&T spots did and continue to have. It isn't hardware. Besides, cingular (their old name) was not known to be a reliable carrier before the iphone. I know many people at AT&T phones other than iPhones who have the same issues related to weak coverage. Remember their old ads claiming to have the lowest rate of dropped calls? They got lambasted for the absurd claim because they indeed had one of the highest rates of dropped calls.

And this is completely separate from the antenna "issues" from the iPhone 4.

3. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Doesn't France run on a different radio frequency which would make it better for the radio? USA and Europe if I'm not mistaken run on different frequencies.

4. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Yeah I believe Europe uses different frquencies. I do know that radio frequencies play some kind of role (I'm not an expert so to what degree I don't know!) But I can't imagine that radio frequencies are the main problem, and assuming it was...you said you think at&t works great with all phones except iphone...the iphone has the same quad-band GSM radio built-in that all other similar phones have...

And what about the people who live in good at&t coverage areas? They don't have iphone issues. If everyone lived in good at&t coverage areas then nobody would ever complain...sadly at&t as a whole has just too many weak spots, as a result your service suffers.

5. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Not just France. If I am not wrong, everywhere in the world but North America 900/1800 MHz are the 2G GSM Frequencies and 900/2100 MHz is the UMTS/HSDPA (3G GSM) frequency.

In the US, it is 850/1900 MHz for both 2G/3G GSM frequencies for AT&T but T-mobile uses 1700 MHz for UMTS/HSDPA (3G).

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I've traveled to Paris, Ireland and Canada and all three places had WAY better reception then what I got here in DC. While in Canada, I was on top of a 8,000ft mountain and STILL had 4 bars of reception.

7. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Seems like that's the reason of better coverage everywhere else but the USA?

I wonder if the iPhone is made with the world excluding USA in mind, that the iPhone doesn't work well with USA frequencies since iPhone is a world phone compared to other gsm devices?