Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
Did a lot of searching on the forums, but didn't get a real clear answer on it.

My wife and I plan on getting iPhones when our contract is up later this month (finally!). So we wanted to get a family plan.

If I read it right, the lowest plan is: 700 shared minutes + 200 shared text messages = $109 a month.

But, if you are an existing AT&T customer, you can add an iPhone for a $20 data plan.

So what if we signed up for the regular family plan: 550 shared minutes = $59.99 a month with a couple of free phones. Then bought iPhones and added them at a cost of $20 each per month?

So that would mean we would get 550 shared minutes + 200 text messages EACH = $99.99 a month.

Is this possible? I was planning on hitting up the AT&T store, but I cringe walking in there. The local people are not very helpful, so I figured I would turn here first.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I've got the Family Plan...

two iPhones, one Blackberry, and one Motorola KRZR. We are presently at about $60 a month per person, unlimited family text msg plan ($29.99 a month), start using unlimited minutes at 7pm Mon-Fri, $20 for each iPhone Data Plan, and $30 for the Blackberry Data Plan. We share 1400 minutes, and we have M2M unlimited. Definitely go with the unlimited text msg for only $29.99, and teach your family plan members how to text! Saves on a ton of minutes when they text their friends v. phone calls using your 1400 minutes right off the bat. We also have accrued 6000+ minutes, which is nice to have for those months where you are on vacation and have to go over your 1400 minutes. This is just my example of my Family Plan, you can get different additional features. Good Luck! :cool:

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
I would sign up now as you said and get the free phones and then upgrade when necessary-- I have a family plan with 4 phones (one iPhone) and my bill really did only go up about $20 (plus tax) when I got the phone-- I have heard of some people being charged an activation fee, but for some reason i wasn't (no complaints here!)

DJJONES

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Newengland usa!

My wife and I plan on getting iPhones when our contract is up later this month (finally!). So we wanted to get a family plan.

If I read it right, the lowest plan is: 700 shared minutes + 200 shared text messages = $109 a month.

But, if you are an existing AT&T customer, you can add an iPhone for a $20 data plan.

So what if we signed up for the regular family plan: 550 shared minutes = $59.99 a month with a couple of free phones. Then bought iPhones and added them at a cost of $20 each per month?

So that would mean we would get 550 shared minutes + 200 text messages EACH = $99.99 a month.

Is this possible? I was planning on hitting up the AT&T store, but I cringe walking in there. The local people are not very helpful, so I figured I would turn here first.

thats the exact same plan i have and exact price we pay. but but! i think u would have to get the other line a iphone date plan if both persons were going to use iphone

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Yes you can do this. I have the exact same plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.