Am I ridiculous for wanting an iPhone??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hurricanekate2, Sep 10, 2007.

1. hurricanekate2 macrumors newbie

I've had a BlackBerry Pearl for about six months, and in general, I like the phone, but I have some gripes that the iPhone would fix:
    - The media player is terrible.
    - Calendar syncing with iCal is terrible (my whole life is in iCal)
    - No way to remove the "Sent via BlackBerry by ATT" signature on emails which really bothers me.
    - Email read on the phone doesn't show up as read on my computer (I know that this is a server thing, but friends of mine with iPhones using the same email (.edu) don't have the same problem)
    - Reading the internet on pages formatted for cell phones is a huge pain.

I've played with the iPhone and I like the keyboard more than I thought I would, so that's not an issue. Now that the 4GB model is $300, it's really, really tempting for me to buy one. I'm already an ATT customer, so that's not an issue (side question--I have a data plan for the pearl; could I just drop my SIM card into the iPhone for it to work?) I just feel dumb for wanting to buy a new expensive phone so soon after getting the Pearl and one that doesn't represent a huge improvement (in terms of technology...it represents an improvement in user experience, for sure).

What do you think?

2. Red Sox macrumors regular

Definitely not ridiculous. The current prices are such a bargain.

3. hurricanekate2 thread starter macrumors newbie

so could I use the same SIM card for the iPhone and the Pearl and just swap it back and forth as I see fit (like, if I were going out and didn't want to bring the iPhone)?

4. martinmartin macrumors 6502

I switched from a Pearl to an iphone today.

FYI, you can easily edit the 'sent via blackberry' signature on your att BIS BB setup page: http://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

You cannot transfer your SIM into the iphone (which means you will either have to manually transfer all of your contacts, or just sync with your address book on your computer (if your contacts are stored there)).

You will add either a 20,30 or 40 iphone plan and will delete your BB data plan.

For your reference, receiving email is quicker and more predictable (instantaneous) on the pearl, but this is not the case with the iphone.

cheers.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Run fast if you really want the 4GB version. They aren't making them and many stores have run out. I would get the 8GB version though. 4GB isn't too much with music, pictures, movies, and contacts. Plus 4Gb will feel pretty small when 16GB is released...

6. daemontrader macrumors newbie

Yes. The Pearl sucks (well, compared to the iPhone).

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, if you're going to solder on the SIM card yourself:p Seriously, that kid who did it for his T-Mobile plan spent a lot of time. Unless you know someone who can do it quickly and at a low price, I think you're going to have to choose only one phone:(

8. hurricanekate2 thread starter macrumors newbie

can I go the other way, though? buy the iphone, activate it with the included sim card, and use the iphone's sim card in the blackberry?

i'm thisclose to pulling the trigger on a refurbed 8 GB. the data plan is cheaper than my blackberry's, too ($20 vs. $50).

9. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

10. hurricanekate2 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, i did search. i read a bunch of stuff on here and on howard forums, a lot of it was speculation or conflicting information from several weeks ago. i was hoping someone could offer a straight answer from personal, recent experience. (like if using the iphone's sim card with another phone made a difference on their phone bill).

kind of a moot point now anyway, as i pulled the trigger, oh, 5 minutes ago. $366 shipped for an 8 GB refurbished model. even if i can't use the pearl, i can always sell it to recoup some of the iphone's cost, i guess.

11. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

A crazy man wouldn't be crazy for wanting an iPhone. I can't tell you not to get one, or I'd be crazy.

The Stig

12. mox123 macrumors 6502

u would be if you buy one now and the 16GB version is just right around the corner...