Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
I am using iPad Mini and I've taken some photos with it (In fact, many photos). However, I can't see any user-friendly method of uploading pictures to iCloud or any other web storage so that I can handle the photos later. I can only select the most 5 photos to send in an email, I've installed Dropbox Apps on iPad but it doesn't show any button about Dropbox. The only thing I can see is Facebook and AirDrop. I guess they are for public right? Those photos taken by me are NOT for public. Is Apple so ridiculous that they never think about the option of uploading many selected photos at once? or am I too ridiculous to overlook something I don't know?

NOTE: NO CABLE, NO ITUNES

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
iCloud photos upload automatically when you're in range of Wifi. There's no selecting of videos, and no explicit upload process. They just upload on their own.

Of course iCloud photos needs to be turned on first.

If you want to use dropbox instead, you can launch the dropbox app and login to your dropbox account. You should be prompted with an option to turn on automatic camera uploads. Doing this means your photos will upload to Dropbox automatically when you launch the app.

Full info here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/289

In neither case are the photos shared publicly, unless you explicitly make that happen.

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
iCloud photos upload automatically when you're in range of Wifi. There's no selecting of videos, and no explicit upload process. They just upload on their own.

Of course iCloud photos needs to be turned on first.

If you want to use dropbox instead, you can launch the dropbox app and login to your dropbox account. You should be prompted with an option to turn on automatic camera uploads. Doing this means your photos will upload to Dropbox automatically when you launch the app.

Full info here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/289

In neither case are the photos shared publicly, unless you explicitly make that happen.

Yea, I know dropbox could automatic the camera uploads but I don't want everything to be uploaded. It doesn't look like to have the option of selecting photos. Most of the time I don't have Wifi around, I am 3G Cellular. By the way, how to disable iCloud automatic upload? Does it happen automatically ? My iPad mini is new and I didn't config the iCloud account. But I've got iCloud account

And so, no way of uploading only the photos I'd like to?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yea, I know dropbox could automatic the camera uploads but I don't want everything to be uploaded. It doesn't look like to have the option of selecting photos. Most of the time I don't have Wifi around, I am 3G Cellular. By the way, how to disable iCloud automatic upload? Does it happen automatically ? My iPad mini is new and I didn't config the iCloud account. But I've got iCloud account

And so, no way of uploading only the photos I'd like to?
You can selectively upload pics to Dropbox. Just launch the Dropbox iOS app and Add Files. You can elect to use only WiFi, or also Cellular Data, if you prefer.

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
You can selectively upload pics to Dropbox. Just launch the Dropbox iOS app and Add Files. You can elect to use only WiFi, or also Cellular Data, if you prefer.

hi, thanks

I don't want automatic uploads , either icloud or dropbox. Because most of the time I am using WiFi shared by my iPhone hotspot which means the traffic will count on my 3G usage and I only have 1G limit, exceeding the limit means horrible charges.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
hi, thanks

I don't want automatic uploads , either icloud or dropbox. Because most of the time I am using WiFi shared by my iPhone hotspot which means the traffic will count on my 3G usage and I only have 1G limit, exceeding the limit means horrible charges.

Then beware of automatic device backup to iCloud from your iPad which will eat up your data plan in minutes (when your iPad is connected to power and connecting to your iPhone's hotspot i.e. on a car or mobile battery pack)

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
hi, thanks

That's just what he said, open the Dropbox app and upload files you choose from there. Nothing automatic about it.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I am using iPad Mini and I've taken some photos with it (In fact, many photos). However, I can't see any user-friendly method of uploading pictures to iCloud or any other web storage so that I can handle the photos later. I can only select the most 5 photos to send in an email, I've installed Dropbox Apps on iPad but it doesn't show any button about Dropbox. The only thing I can see is Facebook and AirDrop. I guess they are for public right? Those photos taken by me are NOT for public. Is Apple so ridiculous that they never think about the option of uploading many selected photos at once? or am I too ridiculous to overlook something I don't know?

NOTE: NO CABLE, NO ITUNES

You can select multiple photos from within the dropbox app itself. The Facebook & Airdrop options you see are for sharing, not uploading to storage solutions.

Now, to be honest and answer your question--yes, you're being ridiculous.

Your 1GB limit is self imposed, it's completely your choice to not utilize a home Wifi network or a cellular plan with a more generous allowance. If that's what you want to do, that's perfectly fine, but you can't blame Apple or your device for your service choices.

If you refuse to use a cable to offload pictures to a computer, or use iTunes to backup, again these are your choices. You are self-imposing limits that are unnecessary.

If you want to save money by not buying a computer, then expect to spend more on data to use cloud solutions. If you don't want to spend money on data/home internet, then expect to spend it on a PC/Mac and physical storage.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
You can select multiple photos from within the dropbox app itself. The Facebook & Airdrop options you see are for sharing, not uploading to storage solutions.

Now, to be honest and answer your question--yes, you're being ridiculous.

Your 1GB limit is self imposed, it's completely your choice to not utilize a home Wifi network or a cellular plan with a more generous allowance. If that's what you want to do, that's perfectly fine, but you can't blame Apple or your device for your service choices.

If you refuse to use a cable to offload pictures to a computer, or use iTunes to backup, again these are your choices. You are self-imposing limits that are unnecessary.

If you want to save money by not buying a computer, then expect to spend more on data to use cloud solutions. If you don't want to spend money on data/home internet, then expect to spend it on a PC/Mac and physical storage.
Ummmmm, WHAT???? What illogical assumptions! Do you not realise that perhaps he is not around WiFi most of the time because his job or life requires him to stay on the road or stay away from home most of the time? Also, why the hell should he carry both a laptop and an iPad to simply transfer photos to one another? Maybe as someone who is on the road, he may also need portability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.