Am I running in 64bit mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sdahe, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello Guys,

I have a Macbook Pro for a year now and I just upgrade to Snow Leopard. I've been hearing about running Photoshop CS4 in 64bit and other applications. Well the question is how would I know if my computer is running at 64 bit?... how can I check that out?... if not, how can I boot in 64bit?

Thanks!!!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor will tell you what applications run in 32-bit or 64-bit.

[​IMG]

Mac OS X 10.6 boots into a 32-bit kernel, but is still able to run 64-bit applications without problems, thus there is no need to boot into the 64-bit kernel.

Making The Most of Activity Monitor

3. hl450 macrumors member

It's true that snow leopard boots into a 32bit kernel by default and 32bit kernel can run 64bit apps however, :eek: IT"S NOT OK to say "there is no need to boot into the 64bit kernel becaure of that." Running 64bit apps on 64bit kernel will perform much much better as compared to running it on 32bit kernel. :cool:

4. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well... it looks that my Photoshop is not running at 64bit... How can I make it run in 64bit?.. and How can I boot in 64bit mode?

Attached Files:

5. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Holding 6 and 4 on boot will get you into 64 bit mode once, but I am curious if anyone knows how to get a MBP to boot into 64 bit every time without holding this?

I asked elsewhere, but am still waiting for a response...

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay.

need |nēd|

noun
    1 circumstances in which something is necessary, or that require some course of action; necessity : the basic human need for food | [with infinitive ] there's no need to cry.
    2 (often needs) a thing that is wanted or required : his day-to-day needs.
    3 the state of lacking basic necessities such as food or money : a family whose need was particularly pressing.
    the state of requiring help or support : help us in our hour of need.

Right click on Adobe Photoshop CS5 in your applications folder, select GET INFO and make sure "open in 32-bit mode is de-selected".

[​IMG]

http://itsalltech.com/2010/02/10/how-to-boot-mac-os-x-snow-leopard-into-64-bit-mode/
    http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

7. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Ahh! So it's not a separate install like on the Windows side? Interesting, I didn't know that. I'm assuming I can boot in 64bit on my 2010 MBP?

8. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I believe so, apparently it is just an EFI firmware check that confirms that 64 bit is capable.

9. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Sorry but I didn't said that I'm using Photoshop CS4.... I don't think it can run in 64 bit mode right?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, CS4 is still 32-bit. CS5 is 64-bit. I have completely blocked that information out of your OP. Those frelling glasses are missing.

11. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Oh Man!!!... I'm getting CS5 soon!

12. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

FTR - in terminal, type;

sudo nvram boot-args="arch=x86_64"

this will set your kernel to 64 constant

13. creeman macrumors 6502

Are there any disadvantages to this? Can 32bit programs not run while using the 64bit kernel?

14. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Some apps might not work, I am not sure, I believe some VM apps don't work, but it might just require ticking the 32 bit mode box.

15. creeman macrumors 6502

Nevermind, figured it out. I was thinking it was arch'x86_32, but no, its arch=i386 for anyone that was wondering!

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you run with a 64-bit kernel, all the drivers must be in 64-bit mode; that means unless the manufacturer of your device makes a 64-bit driver, you are better off just running with a 32-bit kernel. That said even with a 32-bit kernel, you can run drivers for both 32 and 64-bit kernels, while in 64-bit mode it's strictly the latter drivers.