Am I screwed? Applecare concerns...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adamvk, Sep 15, 2011.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

So I bought a Macbook Pro about 8 months ago. I bought a 15" i5 2.53GHZ, 4GB of ram, and 500GB hdd. I ran out of room so I put in a 750GB hdd. I turned my 500GB drive into a backup. However my car was stolen, along with my 500GB hard drive. However in the past I know when I've needed repairs they said they couldn't fix it until the original hard drive was back in, so I'd always just swap it back in before it needed to get fixed, no problem at all. So now that I don't have the original hdd will they still fix it if there's problems? Should I even buy the 2 year extension?

2. auero macrumors 65816

Just call and ask. I've had my logic board replaced on an a macbook pro about a year ago and I had an SSD in it at the time.

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Good idea. :)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The HDD is a user-replaceable part, so you did not void your warranty and whatnot. If you're losing files for some reason and they determine the HDD is failing, then you would responsible for replacing the HDD, not Apple. That's really the only time it matters if your computer has its original HDD or not.

Otherwise you should be in the clear. I've taken Macs into the store with self-serviced HDDs all the time; never had an issue. Imagine the kind of flame Apple would get if they denied warranty to every Mac Pro owner who decided to replace their HDDs?