Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taranzo37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
NEW AT THIS (disclaimer :) Using a recently purchased Hitachi DVD CAM. I used DVD-R cheapoes to tape events on both the A & B sides. Using the "Image Mixer 3" bundled software, I attempted to play Side A & got an error message to replace disc. HUH? I had played it briefly on the camera so I knew video was there. After doing the HELP research, I realized that I had not finalized it before using the above player. I then FINALIZED side B and, LO & Behold, captured all of the video on Image Mixer. Bottom line question is: Is there ANY WAY I can recapture the video on side A. I have been all over the net looking for solution, but to no avail. The final message on the camera's screen is: "Disc not finalized." ARRR-DURRR!!! Am I on a quest for the "Holy Grail???" I had some good stuff on side A...please help if at all possible....THANKS!!! Bob

Courtaj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2008
Edinburgh, U.K.
I may be stating the obvious here, but while you say you finalised side B and thus managed to import video from side B using your IM3 software, did you not try to do the same with side A, i.e., finalise side A?

You won't want to hear this, but the whole finalising rigmarole is part of what makes DVD camcorders so darn unreliable, along with the fact that some players will consistently refuse to play some discs.

Andrew.

taranzo37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Am I "screwed".........???

Thanks for responding....I did not finalize SIDE A before using the software. When it wouldn't open on Image Mixer software, I learned then about finalizing which is how I saved the video on Side B. All attempts to go back & finalize Side A have been failures even tho I know the video is recorded there, i.e., I saw a part of it when I first played it on the camera. Now, the camera does the REPAIR" process and gives the final message that Side A needs to be finalized. BUT< IT WON'T ALLOW ME TO DO IT. Is there any software out there that would allow me to retrieve the video??? Thanks for any and all advise........BOB

taranzo37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Screwed???

Will anyone please give me a yea or nay to my question???? THANKS!!!

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Will anyone please give me a yea or nay to my question???? THANKS!!!

The answer to your questions; "Am I "screwed," or is there help out there???" are yes and maybe.

Yes, you really screwed yourself by doing or not doing a few things:

1. You purchased a cheap consumer camcorder that records in a final delivery format.

2. You used "cheapo" media.

3. You failed to learn how the thing works before you used it.

Is there help out there? Maybe ... contact Hitachi's tech support and see if they have any solutions for you. Or you could re-shoot the footage that was on side A.

-DH

filmweaver

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2008
Are you screwed?

Do you have a firewire port on the camera? If so maybe you could play the movie and record in to the computer via the firewire. Just a thought.

taranzo37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
"screwed?"

Thanks for the responses. :) I think DH placed everything in it's proper perspective....DUMB & CHEAP!!! :D I simply "forgot to finalize side A, so my bag!!! I'll try to call a tech but I know how that goes.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Thanks for the responses. :) I'll try to call a tech but I know how that goes.

"Please hold for the next available representative."

Man, that's tough. My bet is it was something that can't be reshot.

As for the above Firewire suggestion, DVD camcorders don't come with a firewire option (that I've every seen anyway.)

Now another way... can you still play the footage on side A and see in in the viewfinder? If so, are there A/V jacks on the camera? If so, maybe you could plug in to another recorder and play the footage and record it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.