Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shek5150, May 24, 2018.

1. Shek5150 macrumors newbie

Shek5150

Greetings MacRumors People . . .

I recently spilled a liquid on my 2013 MacBook Pro & the screen has now become useless . . . so my question is this:

Without being able to view my MacBooks screen, is it possible to use my iMac to access the data on my MacBook's hard drive to transfer the data before giving this thing a ceremonial death?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take the time to respond to my post.

p.s., I do have a cable connecting my iMac & MacBook at the moment (& I was hopeful that the MacBook would just show up in the Finder Window, like an external HD . . . such wasn't the case & I am sad as I'm now out of my wheel house (which by the way is a REALLY small house).... Grrrrrrr

Thx

Steve

2. meme1255 macrumors 6502a

Which cable have you used? Take a look on the Target mode (I am sorry for not providing a link).

3. gyrf macrumors newbie

gyrf

Here's the Apple support article on Target Disk Mode. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

With a Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt cable, your MacBook Pro will indeed show up as an external drive in Finder on your iMac. You don't state which iMac you have or what cable you're using, but if the MacBook Pro is still working well enough to boot up, it should work.

4. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

is it just the screen which is toast?
    in that case you can still have a useful machine, my 2012 rMBP works without a screen when connected to an external monitor. nifty machine used to stream video and other things where I do not need to interact much

5. slam5 macrumors member

I don’t think his machine is working at all. Otherwise, it will show as a target. His best bet is to open it up and take out the hard drive and mount it in a caddy as external drive

6. Altis macrumors 68030

Yeah before trying target disk mode (which can be tricky to get working anyways), try connecting your MacBook to an external monitor and boot.

If you can do it this way, then you should be able to perform a full Time Machine backup to an external drive and restore it to another Mac.

7. Shek5150 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shek5150

Hello Meme1255, the cord I'm using is a thunderbolt cable. Thx
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2018 ---
    Hello GYRF, thanks for your post, I believe I'm using a thunderbolt cable (how would I tell the difference between a 'Firewire 800 vs Thunderbolt?' Thx for the link I'll check it out.
    Hello Schranke, thanks for your post, I 'believe' it's just the screen & I say that because every so often I can the the log in icons but it's so quick I can't really act on it . . . so, I'm hoping the hard drive was still functional. (((Side Note: the crazy thing is that I was in the middle of downloading all my data to an external hard drive when I killed the MacBook Pro . . . hows that for timing . . . and of course the one thing that I absolutely needed was my pictures & I didn't quite make it . . .) .. . Grrrrr, 51 years old and I've NEVER spilled liquid on anything computers, AV gear . . . nothing . . .)))
    Anyway, thanks again.
    Hey Slam5, at the moment I'm really not sure if the hard drive is working; but it is correct to say that just attaching the 2013 MacBook Pro to my iMac (late 2012) does not show up at all in my finder window . . . should it automatically show up, even if I do nothing else but connect the two to together with a Thunderbolt cable (or could be a Firewire 800; not sure) .. . but I am sure that it's not showing up in my finder window.
    Altis, I did try using an HDMI cable & connect to my TV; but the TV basically says "no device connected." . . . thx.
    I will definitely try all above suggestions before taking it to either Apple Store of Geek Squad . . . I was really hoping to do it myself as I have a lot of confidential data (mostly online financing stuff) that I'm always worried when I surrender my computer to someone unknown to me . . . (((I'm sure I'm more paranoid than I need to be; but after working x-number of years in the prison system, I've come to believe that there are some very dangerously clever persons out there . . . & perhaps it's tainted my world view a bit))) . . .

in any case, thanks to all of you for your help; my apologies on the tardiness of my replies .

Steve
    I'm not sure if this is helpful; but here's a pic of what the screen is doing:

Side Note: that white bar seems to run down the screen (top to bottom) & then starts over. During this process I am able to see the time, battery strength indicator & keyboard icon in the top right corner of the screen (however, all other processes that are usually up there (upper right corner) are not visible . . .
    Greetings Good People of Planet MacRumors . . .

I am so excited that this Target Disk option is working . .. I'm actually txfring date at this very moment . . . I can't thank you enough . . . (((At the risk of TMI, I had a significant amount of information that I needed for an upcoming court case, against the sellers fo the house we recently purchased & though I some of that data backed upon an external hard drive; I'm certain that there was necessary info sill on this MacBook . . but now I can save it all . . . very excited))).

Thanks again to everyone . . .

Steve

Attached Files:

8. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Glad to hear you got the information out. I would still try disconnecting the screen cable on the motherboard and start up. from what you have told it sound like the system survived. if this works run a hardware test to determine if the system has any faults.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731
    You might need to use the other one in the linked depending on you Mac coming out before or after June

9. Shek5150 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shek5150

Schranke, thanks again for your reply . . . I actually initiated this data transfer process as I was expecting to pick up a new MBP next month . .. among other issues with this MBP (beyond it's age) I no longer had functional speakers (I think something got lodged in my headphone jack & so now my MBP thinks I have headphones plugged in all the time). . . I do have sound when I use headphones; just the speakers will not function. . . so, I thought this was a good time to trade-up to a new MBP. Thanks again Schranke . ..

10. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If the internal drive has confidential info on it, you may want to open the back and remove it before you recycle the old laptop...

The drive could then be destroyed, or... you might find an external case for it, erase it, and keep using it for external storage...

11. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

A 2013 MacBook Pro Retina is still nice.

He should just pay Louis Rossmann to fix it.