am i spoiling myself with mbp 2.5ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dchen720, Aug 14, 2008.

1. dchen720 macrumors member

so all i do is, surf the net, msn, and play 5-year old game, warcraft-dota,
    and just started to make short videos with imovie, and i hope it'll perform well within 3 years...
    am I taking advantage of my mbp ? or would a white macbook 2.4ghz perform equally good as my mbp for the stuff i do?

i got myself a 2.5ghz mbp w/ 512 vram.
    i was gonna go for the 2.4 white,
    but the mbp is just so much nicer.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, you are.
    Question is, are you worth it?

3. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

yea, my under-powered macbook 2.2ghz runs fine with itunes, ichat, mail, imovie for youtube, final cut express, etc. 2.5ghz is simply overkill.

5. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

the MBP is overkill for most of it's users, I believe. Even pro apps like Final Cut Studio and Adobe After Effects perform just fine on a MacBook; in reality, though, if you use any pro apps, you should be on a desktop.

A MacBook is sufficient for anything most people would need the MBP for.

6. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Wow, I do a lot of design work, and my powermac g5 is plenty for me! That is a little too much power for simple iMovie projects. :)

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

You could just save a lot of money and get an iBook G4. I do what you say and a whole lot more (FCE, PSCS) with no trouble- and I only added a gig of RAM two days ago.

8. dchen720 thread starter macrumors member

besides what we do now, another thing is, will it be good 2-3 years down the row..

u guys focus too much on when we do with it now.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, you probably are spoiling yourself; however, the MBP is a superb machine. It is aesthetically attractive, powerful, well-built, has great performance, and a superb screen; additionally, it has great specifications, and it is, to a certain extent, possibly as well future-proofed as it can be. Enjoy your beautiful machine. I'm a recent switcher, and I love my MBP. Cheers.

10. Nieval macrumors 6502

When I bought my laptop a year ago I decided I'd be modest. Sure enough, it got outdated so fast I can't even look at it any more. Truth is you don't really need much to do the stuff you mentioned but why not have the best option if money isn't a problem, esp when it comes to technology.
    I say spoil yourself while the moment lasts...

11. kabunaru Guest

Yes, you are spoiling yourself and not only that but the current MacBook Pros have video card problems. Just read the MacBook Pro forum. I would not buy an MacBook Pro right now.

Just get the MacBook or here is the better idea: get the new updated MacBook when they come out.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

the current macbook pros have no problems with the nVidia gpu, they reported that the fab is notified of this issue and they corrected the current dies, but not the old units. the current gpus are fine, just the older units.

13. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Do pretty much what you do atm, except play games on XP.

Even if i didnt play games, i still love the MBP, i could get by on a MB, but then i couldnt do as much as i can at once, and, i would lose precious screen res.

14. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

15. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

If you already have the machine and are beyond the return policy, then just enjoy it.

If you can return it, or sell it without losing too much, you may want to consider doing so and just get something that can hold you over until the new machines roll around. Some will say that there may not be substantial performance increases, especially for the needs that you mentioned. But there is supposed to be a case redesign. At least for me, I wouldn't want to spend so much now when it seems pretty soon that the new ones will be coming - especially because it seems you don't need the macbook pro now.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

16. musicmasteroz macrumors member

hi mate

if your question is do i need the top of the range MBP?

then no you dont just go the MBP 2.4 256mb vid card option...

if your question is should i go the MBP over a MB?

then the answer is if you can afford the diff always go the pro... - not onboard vid - like the mb's , better cache, better drives , better screen, 800 fw etc etc///
    - but having said that the MBs are great machines :)

and yes it wont be long be there is both a MB and MBP update...if time is not important wait the approx month :)

cheers

omm :apple:

17. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

The reason why many go for the Pro is for gaming, LED display(better resolution), aluminum, and a real GPU. I went for an older Pro because I couldnt justify the $2000. If you dont need all that the MBP has to offer (the current really), look in the refurb store for a MBP.