Am I stuck with an unbreakable 3G?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jonnysods, Aug 12, 2010.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Hey everyone, I'm kind of wracking my brains here. I got this phone second hand, phone is in brand new condition however I'm having trouble getting on to the wireless network so I can use the jailbreakme.com link.

The wireless does not pick up a signal when I am right next to a router. If it does occasionally get a signal I try to connect but it wont accept a password, or connect when there is no password. I have pretty much tried everything I can to ge the wireless working with no success:

- reset network settings (several times)
    - tried different routers at 3 different locations (work, home, friend), both unlocked and locked down security
    - toggled 3G/data on and off, no luck
    - restored the phone (over 10 times, trying different sources to get firmware to try)

So I can't go to the website to get the jailbreak.

I decided to use redsn0w but it hangs at the waiting for reboot section. Tried different USB ports, different computers, different versions of redsn0w. Won't get past that rebooting part.

So then I decided to use Pwnage tool, but iTunes won't accept the firmware I'm using. Gives me a 1600 or 1611 error, which I have troubleshooted through many forums with no success.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

At the end of Redsn0w, use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of reboot mode. It should be jailbroken. If Wifi is still not working, sounds like a hardware failure to me.

3. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

It doesn't get through the JB process though - no uploading data to the phone, no pic of the pineapple etc.

Attached Files:

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Unplug the phone from cable, then plug it back in. That may work.

5. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

I forgot to add that to my list of things done as well. Different computers, different ports, different cables. Something is amiss here as I've unlocked around 8 3G's before....

I certainly appreciate your fast responses though!

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Didn't the unplug work ?

7. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

No, I wish. This is a real bummer. Super nice phone, but useless to me right now!

8. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Is the phone under warranty? You might have a bad phone if it won't pick up a wireless router.

When you restore are you activating with a at&t sim? You could also try restoring in DFU mode (not to be confused with the a normal restore) to ensure the phone is getting completely wiped.

9. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

I'm in Canada but I have an AT&T sim which activates the phone. And I have done restores in DFU and recovery mode.

I think I'm cooked.

10. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

Have you tried connecting to your wireless with a third party app from the app store?

11. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

I tried ewifi, that's the only one I have right now but it won't show the signal either. If I reset the network settings it will show up, but then it hangs when I try to connect....