Am I stuck with I-Life 08?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dale124, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Dale124 macrumors member

Hi all. I purchased our family's first Mac on Dec 30/08, which came with I-life 08. I see that less than a month later, they are pushing I-life 09. The salesman did not mention this upgrade when I purchased, so, I'm feeling a little P.O.ed.
    Are they offering an upgrade at a cheaper price for those of us in this situation? If it was offered at a reasonable price I may consider it, mainly for the I-movie upgrade, which looks like it has huge changes/additions/improvements.
    Am I stuck?
    Thanks,
    Dale

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

you're not stuck. Go out and buy a legitimate copy. :rolleyes:

If you bought a computer with '08 why would you be entitled to '09?

3. misterpasta macrumors member

Announced in January

The salesman didn't know in December that iLife would be upgraded at Macworld in January. Not even relevant. The terms for iLife 09 are clear.

If you bought on Jan 6 or later you can get a copy for $9.95. Don't be p.o'd.
    Step up, buy a copy and enjoy.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

iLife 09 wasn't announced until early January. How would the salesman be able to tell you about it?

I would think if you were spending at least $1000 on a computer you'd do some research and see what was coming down the pipe.

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Well, I would argue if the salesman were nice (and knowledgeable), he could've suggested that MacWorld was due and announcements could be made. But then he wouldn't be a very good salesman, and may even be fired.

At any rate, NOONE knew about iLife 09 until January 6. And Apple made it possible to get a cheap version IF you bought it from that period onwards.

They normally have a grace period for hardware (like two weeks before or something), but software appears to be as it comes. Regardless, it didn't even come out until this past week, nearly a month later than when the OP bought their machine. But even with grace periods people will get upset. For example, those who miss out on the grace deadline by a few days will then start harping on.

It sucks, I know, but that is how it is. If this kind of thing upsets you greatly, I suggest you always check for potential updates to anything you purchase before hand. I would probably never buy anything from Apple before a conference or if they have scheduled an announcement. I tend to buy as soon as it comes out - sure it's more expensive, but that is the least likely time you will get the rug pulled out from under you. Again, only if it bothers you.

6. Dale124 thread starter macrumors member

Apparently, if the salesman didn't actually know it was coming, what good would researching do? I did research the computer, just not the software.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Visiting this site would've told you there was a MacWorld conference just days away, with a very high chance of a new iLife suite. Sales reps aren't going to discuss unreleased products.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

TBH, you're acting a bit on the cheapside don't ya think? $79.00 for a beautiful suite of very useful applications that rival a lot of much more expensive stand alone software is MORE than reasonable.
    You said it yourself, iMovie alone is well worth the upgrade. How much do you expect to pay for GOOD movie editing software? Garageband is now finally a very good piece of software because of the free piano and guitar lessons. iPhoto's places/faces feature is awesome. Find an entire suite of apps better than this for $79....you won't.

9. Gamoe macrumors regular

Man, you guys sound like a bunch of Apple reps.

Dale124, I understand your frustration. You just made a major purchase, that had you waited a mere month to do so, you'd have had the new iLife included in there instead of the old version.

That said, what the other posters here are saying is true: It's a relatively inexpensive application suite definitely worth the price, though I do not agree with the attitude here, especially considering the current economic crisis. I'd say.. Go to the Apple Store, see if they can help you out, but go without any expectations that they will, because it is outside of Apple's policy.

I'm not afraid to say it:

If you were you to borrow a disc from a Mac friend or go some other less than legal route, I would not blame you. But I don't condone it, especially considering that Apple has been "trusting" enough not to even require a serial number. And I would be very careful with downloading it or acquiring non-legit copies, given the recent Trojan found in iWork torrents.

On the other hand, the iLife version you have on your Mac now is great, and there are only really a handful of significant new features that iLife '09 brings to the table. You could wait to get a legit second-hand copy, or just do without it, as it really isn't any kind of vital upgrade.

Apple offers a small educational discount on iLife, making it $71, Amazon has it for $75 with free shipping and no tax.

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....condoning piracy is not the answer. He's got iLife 08 and there is nothing wrong with it - it functions just fine and dandy. So it's not the "latest" anymore..big deal....buy a copy or be happy with what you have.

This whole thing comes up every time Apple releases new software, be it iLife or the OS. There's always a cut-off date and it is unfortunate but it has to be that way - start making exceptions for certain people and then the floodgates open wide....oh yeah!

11. Dale124 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to sound whiney or cheap. You guys are right, for the $79.00, it is not expensive, and it seems it is a very nice upgrade. I'll likely go out and buy it.
    It's just that it has been my luck lately: 2 years ago at christmas time, I bought a Dell Axim PDA. A couple of months later, Dell stopped making PDA's
    all together.:(
    Last year at Christmas, I got an HD-DVD player- We all know how that went the very next month!!:mad:
    This latest Christmas season seems to be the I-life issue. I guess my bad luck isn't strong enough to kill Apple completely (Thankfully), but it did have an effect.
    Dale.

12. bassistbrown macrumors newbie

Not exactly

You didn't buy your mac when I life 09 came out so technically you are supposed to have Ilife 08, on the apple website you can upgrade ilife only if u bought your mac in 2009. :(

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Um... there's still a library of about 400 titles being sold. I personally am refusing to buy Blu-ray movies until I have all the good HD DVDs, because there are still some great HD DVDs out there, and they're far cheaper than their Blu-ray counterparts.

14. slabman macrumors member

Also P O'd

I bought a new '08 model car and shortly after...the '09's came out. Am I entitled to a new car? I'm going to petition the Congress for a new one...maybe a BAILOUT! Or...I guess I could always step up and buy my own...:( :D