Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jld501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I can't find an answer to this anywhere so I apologize if its been answered.

Since Apple requires verification with your provider when purchasing a new phone via the Apple Upgrade Program... Do you have to necessarily keep that phone attached to that provider (Verizon in my case)? The phone is purchased through Apples lender (can't remember the name) so it should have nothing to do with the provider and once I receive the phone shouldn't i technically be able to activate it with whomever or deactivate it with Verizon for whatever reason if I wanted to do that? See screenshot below but to me it seems that I have no commitment to carry out service with Verizon if I choose not to. In the screenshot below it says no commitment but does that really mean no commitment? Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 9.09.38 PM.png

Jal217

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2015
I can't find an answer to this anywhere so I apologize if its been answered.

Since Apple requires verification with your provider when purchasing a new phone via the Apple Upgrade Program... Do you have to necessarily keep that phone attached to that provider (Verizon in my case)? The phone is purchased through Apples lender (can't remember the name) so it should have nothing to do with the provider and once I receive the phone shouldn't i technically be able to activate it with whomever or deactivate it with Verizon for whatever reason if I wanted to do that? See screenshot below but to me it seems that I have no commitment to carry out service with Verizon if I choose not to. In the screenshot below it says no commitment but does that really mean no commitment? View attachment 650816
You are correct! There is no commitment to that carrier. I changed my carrier about 5 months in. I just needed the new SIM card from my new carrier. Frankly I'm not sure why they require an activation at all. All I do know is you are definitely free to switch it as you please. It's your unlocked phone. It does not belong to apple or verizon!

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Just activate the line under verizon, and then you can change at any time after initial activation.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think it's stupid Apple even required carrier information. Why does it matter? You're buying an unlocked device on payment plan. The carriers don't even have anything to do with the sale anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.