Am I stupid for buying MBP 13"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by katyoshi, May 12, 2010.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Alright, well I had to bite the bullet and bought the 13" base model MBP. I was going to give my mom my mid-2009 15" 2.66 MBP since I thought maybe the portability would be good for me with the 13". Now I'm sort of thinking, did I stupidly waste my money and should I take it back tomorrow? I spent $1,400 with the free printer and student discount along with applecare. Did I make a good investment? I just using it for graduating school in nursing.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Speed difference by your old and new is negligible.
    If you felt the 15 inch was limiting your portability, it seems like a valid choice.

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Its certainly a downgrade but if you bought it for portability, its not a "stupid" buy. Buyer's remorse? :confused:

4. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah maybe im having feelings of buyer's remorse. Don't know...

5. Ann P macrumors 68020

Try to keep it within that 14-day period then decide whether or not you're going to be happy with it. Just keep that restocking fee in mind. Better yet, why not give your mom the 13" and keep the 15"?

6. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I guess I'll try it out for a couple of days. I guess I was so used to my 24" ACD and the 15" for almost a year. Maybe I'll love the 13" infact since it's so much portable and it does make a difference in size and weight to become, well, portable and lighter. I guess I'll get use the 13" screen size. At first I was like, I'll miss my 15" screen size but then I thought I could just hook it up to my ACD and be done with it. I'm not buying anymore computers for few years now, maybe in 3 years I'll upgrade if I must. I just spent a lot of money on apple! :eek: I'd thought this would be a good gift for mom since she supported me throughout my life and I haven't had a chance to give back.

How many of your went from mid-2009 15" to the new 13" MBP and have been ever so happy with it so far?

7. imudit macrumors newbie

8. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

So far it seems okay to use. I was a little afraid that it'll be a HUGE difference. I guess cuz I was used to bigger screens, but I always told myself how it would be nice to have a more mobile and slightly smaller computer. I don't think I can do netbooks and smaller screens such as the 11" Toshiba laptop that my friend has. Hmm...typing on this thing seems just a tad bit different than typer on my 15" in the beginning. So far it's beginning to feel like a computer where I would want to blog with since it's small and more mobile than my 15" MBP... I'm going to keep my mac mini as my main desktop though. So I guess I won't be connecting my 13" MBP to the ACD. :confused: I'm indecisive. I keep going back and forth from my 13" to 15" and reverse. It seems that although the screen is nice on the 15", I long for the more portability and now importantly, the battery life! Anyone else switched from the 15" to the 13"?

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I use a newer 13inch on occasion (gf's) but I can't really work on it. I have gamed on it and done everything else. But for working on it daily ie. creative work, I just could never make that sacrifice. In fact I'm considering going to 17 next. I think the 15 incher is portable, I take it on planes and even in the car with me now and then.

I think though if portability was my ultimate priority than I would actually go for a Macbook Air (when the new releases come out). Otherwise, I just can't see me personally owning a 13inch MBP.

10. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Yes you are stupid for getting the 13!

Just kidding but I have a 2009 Unibody MBP 15 2.66 with the 512 video card and had been on several 13's. I was hesitate about the 15's portability but I love it and could never go back.

My wife has a 13 MBP and it's ok for me to check an article out on occasion but I am so used to the 15. I did get a 3G ipad to use for on the go surfing / email etc. Now when I surf on the ipad and then go to the iphone it seems so small .... Just like the 13 seems too small to me after the 15!

11. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

For me, laptop means portability. I simply can't stand to a 15" brick of 7-8 pounds, don't talk about a 17"!
    I have a MBP 13", previous generation. It works just fine for my needs. But, I'd have bought a MBA if only with better specs, more ram and better battery and hinges, for instance.
    Now, I also have a desktop iMac in my office. So I don't care too much about real estate for such more complex tasks, graphics or so which require it.
    My dream: a real powerful MBA, with 8 hours or more battery life, 4 Gb ram, fast graphics, hooked to a 27" ACD...

12. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. Thanks everyone for their replies. It really is helping. Does anyone own both the 15" and 13". Not necessarily the same year models but lets say like in my shoes, the previous 15" and the current 13"? How do you like it, use it, etc?

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    15inch MBP is 5.6 lbs, the 13inch is 4.5lbs.

Goes to show, a lot of people really just talk out their ass to justify their own purchase.

The Macbook air is 3lbs. If you really do spend a lot of time in between meetings and holding it in a slip amongst your documents, then that's the machine for you. It doesn't have the professional tag on it, but it's certainly aimed at professionals outside the creative field in my mind.

14. EasyJW macrumors member

i don't think you are stupid [​IMG] if you need the portability, it will be good [​IMG] plus the speed difference is very little. it might just get a bit cramped with some apps

15. niter macrumors 6502

Thanks for starting this thread as it nearly mirrors the questions I am having. I have always gone for the "tiny" form factor...first a small 12" iBook and next a 13" MacBook. During school, the iBook/MacBook line was sufficient for what I was doing and probably still is for much of what I currently do (word processing, web browsing). However, toss in needing to run Windows, a dSLR camera, Photoshop, etc. and my needs for the pro line are greater. I am not wild about going up in size and the sacrifice of portability to for me so I wonder if I can just make due with the 13". The biggest thorn in my side is that I really would like to have a MBP/iPad team but the cost of the 15" eats up the iPad money....yet the 15" would need the iPad more to meet my portability needs. Thus, the 13" seems the better combo for that reason...and around and around my head goes.

The only big reason I am considering jumping to the 15" is to ensure that I can run Windows smoothly when I need it (sigh). However, save the windows and small harddrive, i am pleased right now on my MacBook 13" (it was purchased when the first black MacBooks became available).

OP: I can move this to another thread if you prefer...it just seems we have the same questions so I hated to fill the forums up with similar threads.

16. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

If you're helping your mom out, it's not stupid.

My main concern with getting my 13" MBP was whether or not it could handle some Logic and Final Cut, which it does. I have the previous gen machine.

People also bring up the lack of real estate on the 1280x800 display, but using multiple desktops makes that a non-issue for me.

That said, the thing is about buyer's remorse, it rarely goes away.

17. ronmon macrumors newbie

Man, I am so glad to see this post haha I am in a similar dilemma and was wondering if I could get your advice if you do not mind (sorry to threadjack). I am actually enrolling into nursing school this fall, and for some reason I can't imagine fitting a 13" MBP and school work on a single desk, I have a hard enough time with my 10.1" netbook. I wanted to get your opinion, is a 13" + school work possible on a desk? Or am I going to have to use my lap as a desk to maintain visibility for all my coursework? Haha, sorry the stupid question, but its been bothering me. Thanks

18. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

If I was going to make a figure up, I'd probably aim for a little closer to the truth.

Disregarding medical issues - and even then - 5.6lbs is by no means a brick. I have visions of this forum being full of old men walking with canes.

19. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Katyoshi, didn't we talk to you about this before? :) You were going to give your Mom a Mac Mini at that time. I thought it was an unnecessary purchase when you brought this up in another thread. And I still think it's an unnecessary purchase assuming that nothing in your situation has changed. The *only* reason I'm acting like my opinion means anything, by the way, is because you've asked. It just seems to me that there's not enough difference between those two computers to justify $1,400, unless you could come up with some SUPER CONVINCING, "my back is killing me with the 15-inch model and all the desks at my school are super-small" type reasons to go smaller.

You've bought it now, though, so you must have wanted it. So keep it, enjoy it, don't worry about the money because you clearly have the money to spend. Your mom will have a great device no matter what you do.

20. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

It did feel a little cramped at times but went I took it out of my room to my couch and to starbucks, it was NICE. I hooked it up to my 24" ACD and it was NICE. But then I felt I was slowly getting used to the 13" screen. :D

21. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm applying for active duty Air Force as family nurse practitioner and many of their online applications and softwares require the use of Windows OS. For now, I travel to my dad's house 15 minutes away from me, to use his PC computer for these uses. I'm thinking about buying a Windows OS as well so I don't have to hussle. I believe one has to get used to the 13" MBPs. Certainly for me, I would not need the i5 processors as I do not plan to play much hardcore games. At most, I would buy Starcraft 2 for mac. Otherwise, I have my playstation 3 to play games like battlefield 2! Anyway, it seems like the 13" has to grow or maybe I just have to get the 15" out of my sight!

22. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean "it rarely goes away"?

23. Wildog27 macrumors member

It means that unless you buy the best thing every single time, there's always "buyer's remorse" if you're not satisfied with what you have. It's one reason people buy things they don't need, but really want to have.

24. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Welcome to the world of nursing. I would say technology is key to be successful in today's world of nursing and medical schools. Oh and other health professions schools as well. Actually, after playing with my girlfriends (my chick has a 14" dell) netbooks and my buddie's new 11" Toshiba and trying out the new 13" MBP, I'd say the 13" MBP is way better. It's portable and the screen size is actually just right when compared to netbooks. However, when I compared it to my mid-2009 15" MBP with 2.66ghz (in my signature), I felt otherwise. I guess because it was mac against mac and size against size, etc. The biggest difference was that I was so happy to see the battery life on the 13" to reach 9:30 hours left from 98% while typing up on pages and non-flash browsing websites such as my school course forums, and screen was dimmed to slightly below halfway, bluetooth off. However, it was a little inconsistent in the hours left of battery life but it mostly showed that I had at least 9 hours. hopefully when battery calibration is done as it should be with new macs, it will reach 10 hours or even more like others posted.

25. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree it's no Squat bar of 45 lbs with two 35lb plates on each side, which = 225lbs It's nothing close to 315 lbs of dead-lifting either :D. Anyway, it is noticeable. I have the black Incase backpack that fits 15"-17" laptops. It made a noticeable weight difference and space difference in my bag. Maybe its just in my mind? :confused: