iPhone Am I the only one bothered with the Photos app?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Adutrumque, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

The photo app, apples own in ios6 hasn't adapted the resolution for the iPhone 5 photos . Pretty dumb.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

pictures would be a very weird resolution - trust me - you dont want it

3. Adutrumque thread starter macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

How in hell can this be if my screenres is 640x1136? Why would the pictures show iPhone 4 size even if its taken in 640x1136? Or is it taking the photos in the same dimension as the 4? That would explain things .....

4. Sakic10 macrumors member

I'm more annoyed with the fact that I have a retina display but it can barely zoom in on a photo before it shoots back to a different resolution.

Sometime I take a picture of things from far away and would like to be able to just zoom in as far as i want to...

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

What was funny was in another thread a few people were harping on about how a 1.5 ratio was a standard and so they shouldn't deviate, not realising that iPhone takes 1.33 photos. I thought going with a 1.78 ratio for the screen would have been an excellent time to switch to 1.5 photos. Would have filled up the screen more. a 1.78 screen for 1.33 photos is a waste...

----------

Think you're confused. iPhone 5 takes photos that are 3264 x 2448 pixels (same as 4S, same ratio as all iPhones). Obviously that can be scaled down so all of it fits on the screen, but it's not that same length/height as the screen, hence black borders.

6. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

Have u tried looking at a photo u taken on your widescreen PC or TV? It won't fill the the whole scene because of aspect ratio. If Apple force it to fit the images would be cropped while viewing and would piss ppl off to have to zoom out all the time. Trust me u rather it be the the way is now.

7. Adutrumque thread starter macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Thanks for the response.

----------

Yah. Thanks.

8. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Although that IS what they do with 4:3 photos on the 3:2 screens of the 4S and previous. But the zoom and crop is much more slight in this case so as to be unnoticeable for most. If they tried this on the 5, there would be a lot of people wondering why heads were cut off in group photos.

Regards,
    Tom

9. Appleseeds macrumors regular

Really? Are you serious?
    If you stop and think about it, I don't think it's Apple being dumb.

10. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

If you mainly just want to display your photos on your iPhone 5, they do look much better when they fill the whole screen. Example before and after cropping to 16:9.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351180550.352059.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351180600.051535.jpg

11. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

The reason that photo looks better cropped is because the subject happens to fill that cropping better, in terms of composition, not because it fills the screen.

When you think of it, it's rare that any one ratio (3:2, 4:3, 16:9) is the right one for the composition of a photo. After a family vacation, or other such picture-taking event, I usually pull out the "good" shots and crop them to whatever looks best. They're almost never left at the original ratio, and they're almost never cropped to one of the above "standard" ratios.

The only exception to the rule is when I'm trying to turn one of those photos into a wallpaper.

Regards,
    Tom