Am I the only one disappointed with AirPrint???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by santie321, Nov 23, 2010.

1. santie321 macrumors newbie

gimme a break Apple. you spout off 4.2 with AirPrint as a big to do and only support 11 printers?! i have an HP Office DeskJet6500 (wireless printer) and was very excited about this new feature. bleh :mad:

2. vachargerfan macrumors regular

How is it apples fault that there are only a couple of printers that are airprint enabled?

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

When Apple announced the feature in September they said it would work with any printer shared through a computer (Mac or Windows).

They removed the support for that at the last minute.

4. SL4VE macrumors 6502

im sure it will get better over next few updates.... driverless printing is a big wow on its own like apple they always perfect things over time, never give you exactly what you want from day1

5. samcraig macrumors P6

How is it NOT is more appropriate.

I would have no problem believing it comes down to licensing of sorts and Apple has gotten the approval from HP but has not worked out deals with other manufacturers. Because prior to the last beta, everyone seemed to have no problem printing to any printer on the network.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'll admit I was disappointed, mainly because the Apple site is very vague about which printers will work. That being said, I already have Print n Share, so I can print, but was looking forward to smoother integration with other apps.

I'm sure it will improve. It would be nice if we could upgrade our existing HP wireless printers to be ePrint-capable, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

7. jallenclark macrumors regular

There is another thread about how to setup AirPrint to work with other printers still. I followed the steps and now I am printing to my Brother printer from my iPad. Only took me like 5 minutes to get working.

Apple already said they will be bringing out the feature soon based on the one Steve Jobs email.

8. Skaffenuk macrumors newbie

Sure the lack of support for shared printers as standard is an annoyance, but it takes about 5 minutes to implement the workaround on a Windows host - printing now works perfectly for me from an iphone to a Win7 shared printer.

9. gouda272 macrumors regular

it does suck i used 4.2 gm and my kyocera color laser printer thru the ipad just fine. now it doesn't since i upgraded to 4.2.1 Not a huge deal for me as I don't print much stuff anyway but it would be nice to have the ability back. hopefully in 4.3 it will come back. I tried to fake it out by installing a supported driver on my computer but I guess it needs to connect directly via wifi to the printer.

10. HXGuy macrumors 68000

You can still use it with any printer if you do the small change required to a couple OSX files. I'm having no problems printing to my Canon printer.

11. boonleng macrumors regular

I am disappointed! Still wishing printing via shared printer would come back.

12. gouda272 macrumors regular

13. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I'm also not satisfied with the printing functionality...I have a 5 month old HP wi-fi printer and apparently it's not supported. NOT HAPPY!

14. Kantosam macrumors member

Man, I just looked at your name: Bet you're a happy camper today! Maybe I should change my screen name to "Japanchargerfan!" Sorry, back to topic.

15. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Enjoying this feature with my new HP printer. Works great.

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

would you rather them release support for your printer with bugs, or just not release it at all?

i guess it wouldn't matter cause you would complain anyways.

17. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I'm disappointed. I'll wait to see what other developments occur before passing final judgement.
    What I've noticed a lot lately with Apple products is that they announce all of these wonderful features that they are going to bring us, and then are forced to scale them way back because they haven't finished their negotiations with whomever holds the rights to whatever it is that they are about to release. I'd prefer it if they finished dotting the i's and crossing the t's before they announced the latest "Magic"!

18. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

What? People still use printers nowadays??? I thought they were long gone with floppy disks and vcr's???

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Printer sales are still rising (quite rapidly) year over year.

Anyone that thinks the world is going paperless is deluded.