Am I the Only One Happy About a Universal Dictionary in iOS5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NebulaClash, Jun 9, 2011.

1. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

One of the things I absolutely love about reading books in iBooks is the ease with which I can look up an unfamiliar word (or a familiar word being used in an unfamiliar way) using the built-in dictionary. We have always been told since childhood that we should look up words we don't know, but it was always too much bother. Now it's easy. So easy I look up words all the time. In fact, I do it so much, I have found myself trying to do it in other apps and on Web pages. I want it in real life!

So I was delighted by the announcement that the dictionary is going to become system-wide in iOS 5. Am I the only one who cares?

2. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I was actually disappointed to find out that the new Dictionary was literally a dictionary... I was hoping they'd finally allow a custom user dictionary... Meaning you can add/delete words to your auto-correct feature while typing :(

3. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I'm sure Android has had it for years because I heard iOS 5 copied all of Android's features. /s

I think it is a great idea.

4. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

It's not a system dictionary with custom add/remove words? It's a literal dictionary - like any dictionary we could download from the app store?!

Idiotic and unhelpful. :mad::mad:

5. Darkfox3889 macrumors member

Yes! I have been eagerly awaiting this addition since iBooks was released!
    Will be very handy!

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

1. I'm pretty sure it is also getting a custom dictionary (if you look at the screenshot of the guy who did the iOS announcement in front of the screen showing random updates to iOS it has the built in dictionary and a user dictionary (not necessarily those wordings) both listed.

Plus people have been talking about how it will allow you to add in shortcuts that you type to enter phrases (and I heard some one saying you can use that also to have it recognize words you want it to as well as capitalize things you don't want to other capitalizing ;) ).

2. Useless and unhelpful? Personally I think it is great. Now if you want to look something up you don't have to go find your dictionary and load it up, just look it up right from the app you are using at the moment. If nothing else I can check to make sure I'm using a word properly so I don't make myself look stupid (well, at least I can eliminate one way I could make myself look stupid ;) ).

7. NebulaClash thread starter macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates this functionality being made available all through the OS. Thanks for commenting.

8. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

I use this feature on my Mac quite frequently, and have been missing it from iOS.
    So I'm pretty ecstatic!

9. rootyb macrumors member

It's a dictionary, but it works in any app where you can select text. Select text and you get the "Copy" button, but you also get a "Define" option. That's what makes it far more useful than any App Store dictionary.

Also, you can now add words and phrases manually to your autocorrect dictionary by adding them to the "shortcuts" area in keyboard. Just don't put a text shortcut for them (like the default: omw for "On my way!").

I tested it by making up some nonsense words and adding them. Worked like a charm.

http://i.imgur.com/MGU8gl.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/CZ4bMl.jpg

10. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Those words, I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

Just because you don't see it being useful to you does not make it idiotic OR unhelpful