Am I the only one having this problem with ios6 maps?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Roofy., Sep 1, 2012.

1. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

I cant believe I havent seen a thread on this yet.

It seems as though you cant type in full addresses into the ios6 maps.

For instance, if I need directions to 15-36 lake dr, fairmount, florida.... the apple maps WONT give me the exact address. it will only find me the street but not the exact address on the street.

Now if it was 15 lake dr.... it would find the exact location fine. in other words, if there is a dash or second number in the address, the ios6 maps cannot find the exact location. ive tried typing it without the dash and with a space(15 36), no dash or space as a full number(1536), and it still wont find me the address.

what the hell is wrong with this?

2. Nyk0n macrumors regular

Nyk0n

I would assume your address you are searching is unit 15 at 36 fairmount dr

Maps is not going take you to the doorstep of a condo/townhouse complex

once you reach 36 Fairmount you are at the location just looks up and read the signs in the complex.

just my two bits

3. Roofy. thread starter macrumors 6502a

appreciate it, but this isnt it.

These are normal house addresses where I live. thats how any address is around me. I've noticed that the FIRST number brings me closest to the actual location and not the second number.

It's just really aggravating because I deliver things as my job and im sick of it only finding the street and not the actual address. Google maps can easily find me these addresses, but not ios6 maps.

and im still blown away that i havent found anyone elsein the same situation.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, happens here too.

If I was addressing a letter to someone who lived in apartment 10 in and apartment building large enough to take up multiple street numbers, say 13 through 17, in Australia you'd type:

Mr Joe Bloggs
    10/15-17 High St
    Town, State, Post Code.

If I tap that address it can't parse the address properly. I have to just use 15 High St.

It's not a big deal though, just would be simpler if it could recognise from the address format the pertinent data.

5. Nyk0n macrumors regular

Nyk0n

wow I guess Apple is not "Flo-rida" safe then, I live in Calgary, Canada and it works great for me. but if google maps is your fave just use it on Safari, however for me it crashes the phone and reboots it using Beta 4 when i say yes to "locate me", but im sure this will be fixed by the GM. otherwise I would just stick to iOS 5 if you need it badly for your job. or maybe ther eis a another GPS solution that works good for your area. I use Tom Tom 99% of the time works great for my ever-changing town. it uses GPS not Data over the Cell network so thats nice. free map updates. and allows users to update shortcuts and map corrections to their maps to help you get to your destination faster.

6. MDTyKe macrumors regular

That's also how almost every address in Queens NYC operates - with a dash.

7. s4mmy macrumors newbie

At least yours works. I get the pins but the map doesn't actually load on mine!

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

I tried google mapping exactly that, and I got no results

I even tried the suggestion from google asking if I meant FAIRMONT instead, and it still had no results

9. Roofy. thread starter macrumors 6502a

it was just an example.

10. VacTacks11 macrumors member

The same is happening for me, and it's the reason I asked for a refund on the TomTom app I purchased last year.

I live in a newer area of my city, and Google Maps has my address, but for some reason Tom Tom doesn't.

When I type my full address it takes me to where my Avenue starts, which is about 10 Km west of where I live. When I type my full address (including postal code) it takes me to where the postal boundary starts ON my street, but it doesn't take me to my house.

I've sent feedback through iOS Maps about it. Hopefully someone over there reads it and fixes it.

11. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I guess this is an unusual numbering format. At least for most of the US, but If google handles it, I am sure apple maps will want to get this fixed.