Am I the only one obsessed with cases? (Pt. 4)

heyyitssusan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Hey everyone! I’m back, and since there are quite a few iPhone releases this year, I’m curious to see how many cases you have already, and if you keep on wanting to get more (I’m guilty and I still have the X). Have fun!

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I didn't think it would make a difference to me when I bought it, but the feel of the stainless steel and glass back on the iPhone X was so nice that I decided to use it without a case last year.

I've been using it for a year now, and it still looks brand new. I did the same thing with my first iPhone, the 4s, because the glass back just felt so nice. I'd say iPhone X and 4s have been my favorite models based on how they feel.

The Apple leather cases have a nice feel as well, but I find the raised lip on the front interferes when I want to swipe from the very edge of the screen.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I still have my X and currently have 22 cases. I’m currently using a glass back case along with a glass screen protector for the days I don’t want to use a case. I’ve never bought more than 5 cases for my iPhone so having more than 5 is a first for me.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
I still have my X and currently have 22 cases. I’m currently using a glass back case along with a glass screen protector for the days I don’t want to use a case. I’ve never bought more than 5 cases for my iPhone so having more than 5 is a first for me.
Oh wow, which one is your favorite? Do you swap them out often?

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
For the 6 Plus, I have about 10 cases. For the 8, I have 4 cases. For the XR, I currently have 3, Ringke Fusion, Caudabe Sheath and the Loopy Cases Max.

For my previous iPhones, I've always gone back to my slimmer (but not skin type) of cases.

For my XR, I'm waiting to exchange my Loopy Case to the correct "handed" version to see if I'll use this more since I never had a Loopy before. Otherwise, it feels like a harder decision with the XR. I highly prefer using slim cases. But for the XR, I also want to see the color of my phone (I have the Product Red version). If I had gotten a back XR, then I wouldn't care to see the color of the phone.

So far, I keep going back to the Sheath or the XR since receiving the case due to the slimness and especially for the extra grip vs my Ringke Fusion. Otherwise..kinda want to be done with cases.....for now...... ;)

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
For the 6 Plus, I have about 10 cases. For the 8, I have 4 cases. For the XR, I currently have 3, Ringke Fusion, Caudabe Sheath and the Loopy Cases Max.

For my previous iPhones, I've always gone back to my slimmer (but not skin type) of cases.

For my XR, I'm waiting to exchange my Loopy Case to the correct "handed" version to see if I'll use this more since I never had a Loopy before. Otherwise, it feels like a harder decision with the XR. I highly prefer using slim cases. But for the XR, I also want to see the color of my phone (I have the Product Red version). If I had gotten a back XR, then I wouldn't care to see the color of the phone.

So far, I keep going back to the Sheath or the XR since receiving the case due to the slimness and especially for the extra grip vs my Ringke Fusion. Otherwise..kinda want to be done with cases.....for now...... ;)
haha, are you sure?? ;) I saw the incipio transparent back cases for the XR that looked intriguing, would have grabbed that one if I did get the XR. only downfall is apple didn't release any cases for it

Reactions: tops2

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I love cases, and so many look awesome, but I’ve been using Loopy cases for my last 3 iPhones, and I just can’t give it up.

jjohnstonjr

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I have the Apple leather case in black for my XS Max. I was debating getting the LifeProof FRE. Instead I am going to just get a TECH 21 case

titans1127

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
I still have a bucket of cases from the 3GS/4/4S days back when I was buying any case I was curious about from watching Youtube reviews. Every iPhone since I have bought less but still usually 5-10 cases that I would swap out every few days.

Now with the XR, I have just 2, one for when I want some extra drop protection and one thats slim and form fitting. I am going to pick up the official XR clear case later but only because I have a gift card to Apple that will have me paying less than half price out of pocket.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
So for the XR, I was trying to keep the number of cases down. But about a week ago broke down and bought one more case. Its the Miracase Liquid Silicone since I liked my gifted fake Apple Silicone so much, but wanted full lip support. The Miracase feels like my final case though as I have no urge to swap it out.

For my preference, if I had to pick to keep only one case, it would be the Miracase Liquid Silicone.

List of cases for my XR in order of purchase:
  • Ringke Fusion
    • Got before XR launch as my "temporary" case. Still like this for when I want to see color of the phone.
  • Caudabe Sheath
    • Love the texture and thinness.
  • Loopy Max
    • Interesting case, with the loop being a double edge sword in how well it stays on the finger.
    • Not a fan of the slick back though. The case feels too slick if I don't use the loop.
  • Fake Apple Silicone
    • Gifted from coworker. I was surprised how much I love the feel, but wanted full lip coverage.
  • Miracase Liquid Silicone
    • My final case...really! ;)
    • Love the silicone feel and grip, despite gripping my pockets a little.
    • Larger, rounded sides is more comfortable in hands for extended usage.

Reactions: scjr

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
So for the XR, I was trying to keep the number of cases down. But about a week ago broke down and bought one more case. Its the Miracase Liquid Silicone since I liked my gifted fake Apple Silicone so much, but wanted full lip support. The Miracase feels like my final case though as I have no urge to swap it out.

For my preference, if I had to pick to keep only one case, it would be the Miracase Liquid Silicone.

List of cases for my XR in order of purchase:
  • Ringke Fusion
    • Got before XR launch as my "temporary" case. Still like this for when I want to see color of the phone.
  • Caudabe Sheath
    • Love the texture and thinness.
  • Loopy Max
    • Interesting case, with the loop being a double edge sword in how well it stays on the finger.
    • Not a fan of the slick back though. The case feels too slick if I don't use the loop.
  • Fake Apple Silicone
    • Gifted from coworker. I was surprised how much I love the feel, but wanted full lip coverage.
I absolutely LOVE my Loopy. Now that I’ve used one, I can’t go back to a regular case. Overall, it’s definitely not my favorite look - they have much prettier cases out there - but I’ve yet to find anything that allows me the easy one-handed use the Loopy does. I’ve converted tons of people!

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Hehe ... ya think? Case people, like us, never stop looking. :D

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
I absolutely LOVE my Loopy. Now that I’ve used one, I can’t go back to a regular case. Overall, it’s definitely not my favorite look - they have much prettier cases out there - but I’ve yet to find anything that allows me the easy one-handed use the Loopy does. I’ve converted tons of people!
I think the problem for me is my hands aren't large so to use the XR one handed and reach all parts of the screen, I have to shuffle the phone. I've gotten good at shuffling the phone from my iPhone 6 Plus days... With my finger in the Loop, unfortunately I can't shuffle phone anymore (which is more of a testament for how secure the loop is!) So with the Loop, the XR is definitely a 2 handed phone for me...

Just curious, are you hands large enough to reach all parts of your phone? Or how do you deal with reach every part of the screen one handed with the finger in the loop?

Hehe ... ya think? Case people, like us, never stop looking. :D
Lol. I do secretly have a few cases in mind.. ;)

I'm still a little curious about the Pitaka (but good thing the price is high enough that I won't pick up on a whim). But not sure about the comfort in hands since enough have mentioned the hard edges on the case.

I happen to see Seenda leather wallet card case that looks interesting..especially for the quick grocery or food runs and I don't want to carry my wallet. If the lip was much higher, I woulda picked up this case a while ago. Price is cheap enough to pick up on a whim or to satisfy Amazon's $25 shipping minimum.

One day, I may still pick up a leather case..But I've thought this since the iphone 6 plus days.

But honestly, I do feel like the Miracase will be the last for a while. For my iPhone 6 plus, after I got the Zugu case, I stopped looking completely. Probably the thing that would help the most is stop visiting this subforum. :p:D

Reactions: scjr

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I think the problem for me is my hands aren't large so to use the XR one handed and reach all parts of the screen, I have to shuffle the phone. I've gotten good at shuffling the phone from my iPhone 6 Plus days... With my finger in the Loop, unfortunately I can't shuffle phone anymore (which is more of a testament for how secure the loop is!) So with the Loop, the XR is definitely a 2 handed phone for me...

Just curious, are you hands large enough to reach all parts of your phone? Or how do you deal with reach every part of the screen one handed with the finger in the loop?

My hands are actually pretty small, but with my middle finger in the loop, I can reach and hit pretty much everything on the phone with my thumb if I’m using it one handed.

Last edited:

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I don’t know why my response came up inside the quote on my last post. You actually have to click to expand it to see my response. Sorry.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
I don’t know why my response came up inside the quote on my last post. You actually have to click to expand it to see my response. Sorry.
Haha..I was able to figure it out. I think your response may be inside the "[ /QUOTE]" instead of outside it? But thanks for the feedback!

AFgixxer

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2013
Only downside is you are stuck with them. Most people don’t buy used cases. At lease I never can sell mine

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Only downside is you are stuck with them. Most people don’t buy used cases. At lease I never can sell mine
Yeah, I’ve come to a halt buying cases for the X, only cause once the new phone comes out this year it’ll be worthless. You can try let go or offer up but that’s the best I can do as far as trying to sell them.

Cladster

Suspended
Feb 7, 2019
I sell mine on ebay, some times takes awhile sometimes not, usually get 1/3 to 1/2 new price, but i always try and buy with a good discount.