Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I currently have two phones, an iPhone X and a Samsung Galaxy S8. The iPhone X is of course great and works beautifully. There are some flaws, but they do not affect the overall experience.

The Samsung S8 is a dog. The S8 was supposed to be fast, but it is really sluggish and laggy and crashes a lot. It is so slow that sometimes I cannot even use WhatsApp on it.

The user interface is also terrible. The auto-hide navigation bar requires an additional touch to navigate, and sometimes does not even work. The annoying Bixby keeps appearing when I inadvertedly hit somewhere in the screen. And the battery life is not good at all.

Of course, the S8 has a great screen, and a great camera, is slim, light and beautiful. But that does not change the fact that the experience using it is just terrible, mainly because of the crappy Touch Wiz, which seems to ruin everything.

This is not my first Samsung device. I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 a few years back. In the first week, it felt great, as it was a powerful phone with a big screen. But then I realized that the user experience was far from good, really crappy indeed. I then bought an iPhone and never looked back. People kept saying (and I kept reading) that Touch Wiz got much better over the years, which led me to buy the S8. Terrible phone.

Not all my experiences with Android phones are bad. Last year I had a Moto Z Play, as my secondary device (together with an iPhone). The Moto Z Play was a very good phone. It was not a delight to use as the iPhone, but it was reasonably fast, had a great user interface, and was not sluggish or laggy as the S8 (which is way more powerful). The near stock Android provided a much better experience than Touch Wiz. And the battery life was just great. It was much cheaper and in an inferior category than the S8, but it is definitely a superior device.

I just cannot understand why people keep praising Samsung as the best Android phone maker. The Galaxy S8 was considered by many as last year’s best Android phone, and some reputed it as being better than the iPhone. And nobody seems to point out how bad this phone is. All I see is praise. I just cannot understand it. Is it just me?

max.ine

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
I dunno... I haven’t used or really looked at Samsung phones in about ten years. I’ve only actually started looking at Android phones again recently.

They’re certainly better than they once were, but I’m still reluctant to trust Samsung on build quality and UX. Of course, they almost always look great on the surface.

Reactions: Chung123

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I dunno... I haven’t used or really looked at Samsung phones in about ten years. I’ve only actually started looking at Android phones again recently.

They’re certainly better than they once were, but I’m still reluctant to trust Samsung on build quality and UX. Of course, they almost always look great on the surface.

Build quality is not really the issue for me. The S8 has a great build quality (comparable to an iPhone, even though I feel the iPhone is more solid). The issue is really user experience: the software is so crap that it cannot go unnoticed. Why can’t Samsung just use stock Android, which works very well?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Do a factory reset and don't restore this time. Set it up as 100% new. With Oreo 8.1.

The cache partition needs wiping at times even after updating.

There are 100 variables and a blanket statement is asking for what, a yes/no answer? There's are 100 threads debating ios iPhone vs others.

I use Note 9 Samsung and X, iPad pro 10.5, and S3 Tab along with MacBook and sometimes Surace Pro.

Reactions: iSilas and Puddled

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
In settings use 'device maintenance' to take care of storage, memory and battery.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I purchased 2 apple phones and 3 samsung phones for my family last year. The speakers on the Samsungs have constantly been a disappointment. I, unfortunately for my pocketbook, am totally hooked into the Apple ecosystem and quite pleased. The Samsungs will probably need to be upgraded to Apple next round. They work but are nowhere near as uncomplicated and straightforward as the iPhone. Everyone has their favorites so just my $.02.

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
Just you, i have a s8 and its flawless... I don't experience any of what you describe... maybe you just aint ready to embrace the android experience.....

if Bixby activates when you touch the screen, u have a dodgy one...

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I wouldn't say crap, unless we're talking software experience. It doesn't have to be stock but c'mon the software fits and sputters needs to be addressed.

I've had a note 2 that took some abuse before the screen finally cracked and even then it was usable. The laggy keyboard? Not so much.

But Samsung is not Androids flagship if you ask me

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
I wouldn't say crap, unless we're talking software experience. It doesn't have to be stock but c'mon the software fits and sputters needs to be addressed.

I've had a note 2 that took some abuse before the screen finally cracked and even then it was usable. The laggy keyboard? Not so much.

But Samsung is not Androids flagship if you ask me
Are you referring to a 6 or 7 yr old handset as relevant to the debate....

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Are you referring to a 6 or 7 yr old handset as relevant to the debate....

Latest one s7 edge with latest update. As well as previous samsung devices. In my experience I've issues with everything (not just Samsung) to be honest.

My note 2 got so bad I couldn't type on it, it would litterly freeze.

My s7e? It's better, it gets a bit choppy and stuttery at times mostly with text input.

As a personal opinion, I do not like the software experience on Samsung devices. So one would posit I would find fault. I am biased towards a cleaner Android experience.

The hardware is nice though. I still maintain the fact that pure Android on a note with the option to download the Samsung apps I want would be awesome and would probably make for a more fluid experience.

BTW, I'm like half asleep so I hope im making sense lol :cool:

(BTW #2 I almost always have problems with autocorrect and my keyboard while typing from my pixel XL 2 on this forum. Google keyboard likes to think m is backspace and autocorrect scrambles words here...)

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Just you, i have a s8 and its flawless... I don't experience any of what you describe... maybe you just aint ready to embrace the android experience.....

if Bixby activates when you touch the screen, u have a dodgy one...

Well, I used a Moto Z Play with nearly stock Android for over a year, and it was just fine. I think Android is very good.

My problem is specifically with the “optimizations” made by Samsung. Touch Wiz is just crap. My experience with Android on Moto Z Play (which is an inferior phone in terms of hardware) was miles better than on Samsung S8.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Samsung phones are not necessarily “crap”, but they are definitely overpriced for what you are getting.
I have the Galaxy A5 2017, and the only redeeming factor of it is its IP68 rating. Everything else about the phone blows, considering its price point. Build quality is great though, but performance is just bad. For the same price, I can get a much higher spec phone with more RAM and storage from other OEMs.

I feel sorry for people shelling $$$ for the Galaxy S and Note line. I mean those are iPhone level prices, and you’re getting a nicely build phone with crappy support and software. The premium is not worth it when there are great alternatives from the likes of Xiaomi at less than half the price.
[doublepost=1538803040][/doublepost]
Well, I used a Moto Z Play with nearly stock Android for over a year, and it was just fine. I think Android is very good.

My problem is specifically with the “optimizations” made by Samsung. Touch Wiz is just crap. My experience with Android on Moto Z Play (which is an inferior phone in terms of hardware) was miles better than on Samsung S8.
I would stay away from Moto nowadays though. Under Lenovo, they are no longer unique. Security updates are fewer and far in between. It’s just sad. Go for Nokia instead.

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
Samsung phones are not necessarily “crap”, but they are definitely overpriced for what you are getting.
I have the Galaxy A5 2017, and the only redeeming factor of it is its IP68 rating. Everything else about the phone blows, considering its price point. Build quality is great though, but performance is just bad.
I feel sorry for people shelling $$$ for the Galaxy S and Note line. I mean those are iPhone level prices, and you’re getting a nicely build phone with crappy support and software.
Lol, are you for real... an a3 is 160 bucks, a note 9 is 950 bucks. And you wonder why there's a difference in performance....

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Lol, are you for real... an a3 is 160 bucks, a note 9 is 950 bucks. And you wonder why there's a difference in performance....
Not the point. For the price of Samsung, I can get a much higher spec Xiaomi or even Vivo/Huawei. And for the price of S9, might as well get an iPhone.

Back to my point, Samsung phones is not necessarily “crap,” but they are obviously overpriced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ramram55

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Not the point. For the price of Samsung, I can get a much higher spec Xiaomi or even Vivo/Huawei. And for the price of S9, might as well get an iPhone.

Back to my point, Samsung phones is not necessarily “crap,” but they are obviously overpriced.

One man's overpriced is another man's well priced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: iSilas and koigirl

woozor1

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2015
Uk
I wouldnt bother with any samsung unless it has 6gb of ram. So choose your 6gb model and enjoy the smootheness. If you cant afford one get a pixel sorted.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I've had an S6, S7 Edge, S8 and now have the Note 9.

They've all been excellent. The S7 was particularly good - a seriously refined phone. I simply cannot explain your S8 being slow. Mine, even up to the end of last month before I replaced it with the Note 9, was never slow.

Samsung phones are great because they have no compromise. The Note 9 is by far the best phone out at the moment.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

They've all been excellent. The S7 was particularly good - a seriously refined phone. I simply cannot explain your S8 being slow. Mine, even up to the end of last month before I replaced it with the Note 9, was never slow.

Samsung phones are great because they have no compromise. The Note 9 is by far the best phone out at the moment.

Everything has a compromise, I hate to tell you.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.

I've had an s6 edge, a s8 and a tab S, and all 3 have been stellar, struggling to find the compromise.... got them all for bargains as well. Massively cheaper than the equivalent itoy....

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have the Galaxy A5 2017, and the only redeeming factor of it is its IP68 rating. Everything else about the phone blows, considering its price point. Build quality is great though, but performance is just bad. For the same price, I can get a much higher spec phone with more RAM and storage from other OEMs.

I feel sorry for people shelling $$$ for the Galaxy S and Note line. I mean those are iPhone level prices, and you’re getting a nicely build phone with crappy support and software. The premium is not worth it when there are great alternatives from the likes of Xiaomi at less than half the price.
[doublepost=1538803040][/doublepost]
I would stay away from Moto nowadays though. Under Lenovo, they are no longer unique. Security updates are fewer and far in between. It’s just sad. Go for Nokia instead.
The A5 is a midrange phone at best. A Samsung flagship like the note 9 or S9 plus blows away anything from the likes of Xiaomi. It’s not only the build quality you are paying for but a better display, camera and other features that you won’t find on a budget android phone.
[doublepost=1538829385][/doublepost]As for Samsung phones I’ve had a lot: Galaxy Y, Original galaxy note, S4, S5, note 3, note 4, S7 edge, note 8 and S9 plus. Apart from the original galaxy note and the galaxy Y they have all been top notch.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I currently have two phones, an iPhone X and a Samsung Galaxy S8. The iPhone X is of course great and works beautifully. There are some flaws, but they do not affect the overall experience.

The Samsung S8 is a dog. The S8 was supposed to be fast, but it is really sluggish and laggy and crashes a lot. It is so slow that sometimes I cannot even use WhatsApp on it.

The user interface is also terrible. The auto-hide navigation bar requires an additional touch to navigate, and sometimes does not even work. The annoying Bixby keeps appearing when I inadvertedly hit somewhere in the screen. And the battery life is not good at all.

Of course, the S8 has a great screen, and a great camera, is slim, light and beautiful. But that does not change the fact that the experience using it is just terrible, mainly because of the crappy Touch Wiz, which seems to ruin everything.

This is not my first Samsung device. I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 a few years back. In the first week, it felt great, as it was a powerful phone with a big screen. But then I realized that the user experience was far from good, really crappy indeed. I then bought an iPhone and never looked back. People kept saying (and I kept reading) that Touch Wiz got much better over the years, which led me to buy the S8. Terrible phone.

Not all my experiences with Android phones are bad. Last year I had a Moto Z Play, as my secondary device (together with an iPhone). The Moto Z Play was a very good phone. It was not a delight to use as the iPhone, but it was reasonably fast, had a great user interface, and was not sluggish or laggy as the S8 (which is way more powerful). The near stock Android provided a much better experience than Touch Wiz. And the battery life was just great. It was much cheaper and in an inferior category than the S8, but it is definitely a superior device.

I just cannot understand why people keep praising Samsung as the best Android phone maker. The Galaxy S8 was considered by many as last year’s best Android phone, and some reputed it as being better than the iPhone. And nobody seems to point out how bad this phone is. All I see is praise. I just cannot understand it. Is it just me?

Depending how you want to spin it. All iPhones can be said to be crappy with lag/battery drain/planned throttling under ios11.

Reactions: iSilas and Tsepz

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I wouldnt bother with any samsung unless it has 6gb of ram. So choose your 6gb model and enjoy the smootheness. If you cant afford one get a pixel sorted.
This is somewhat correct. 6GB RAM seems to be finally the sweet spot for Android RAM management in general. Samsung’s RAM management has been notoriously worse than others like MiUI or Oxygen OS. Other OEMs realize this (and the fact that RAM is actually cheap), thus offering better phones for the buck compared to Samsung.

Reactions: ramram55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.