Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I hear a lot of complaints about this "protruding camera lens" on the back of the phone. But, I actually think it looks pretty slick and adds a layer of sophistication to the product. The circle is even, feels nice, and adds a certain "look" to the design of the phone.

It makes it look like an actual camera lens, and with how good the camera is, if the sticking out makes it how it is, then well, I think it's a totally fair compromise.

It's hard to describe what it is exactly, but I think it adds something that makes it look good. It does with the gold, at least.

I attached some pictures. It really doesn't look as bad as people have complained. Sure it wobbles without a case, but that's really the only *bad* thing about it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    790.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 52

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, you're the only one ;)

Seriously, count me in among the people who don't like how it protrudes. I think its very unapple like. The protrusion causes the phone to not sit flat on a table.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yes, you're the only one ;)

Seriously, count me in among the people who don't like how it protrudes. I think its very unapple like. The protrusion causes the phone to not sit flat on a table.

Figured as such lol

The not sitting flat part is definitely pretty annoying, but something about the camera lens looking dimensional has a certain look that pops to me.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It doesn't sit flat and the ring around the protrusion will get scratched. Plus the whole device is too thin, so it's an unnecessary protrusion. I don't like it, but it's not a dealbreaker.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Before I received the iPhone 6 I thought that was something I will have to put up with but turns out it does not stick out as much as I expected and it doesn't bother me at all.

Yes, if I must choose I'd have it be flat. But it's not something I think about when handling the phone.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
It's proof Jobs is truly gone.

He would have never ever let the phone leave the design room with that thing sticking out. No way, no how.

Steve would have fired the person presenting the idea of that lens sticking out before they could even finish explaining why it had to stick out,

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I'm not a fan. It almost looks like they ran out of time to design a smaller camera assembly

John marts

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
It's proof Jobs is truly gone.

He would have never ever let the phone leave the design room with that thing sticking out. No way, no how.

Steve would have fired the person presenting the idea of that lens sticking out before they could even finish explaining why it had to stick out,

Wow so you were good friends with him huh?

I like the camera lens. I agree with OP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.