Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will You Miss 11" MacBook Air?

• Total voters

aisajib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
Dhaka, Bangladesh.
As many of us have read/written, the new MacBook has placed the MacBook Air lineup at an awkward position. The title "Air" typically refer to Apple's thinnest. Two years ago, it was the MacBook Air lineup that was the thinnest of all MacBooks. Today, the thinnest, albeit not as practical, is the new MacBook. So where does it put the current MacBook Air machines?

My guess is, MacBook is still in the experimental phase. The tagline "Years Ahead" on Apple's website gives us a hint that this is what the future looks like for Apple's thinnest notebook. That's fine by me. I'm sure there are people who love MacBook for its design and thinness. But for me, the 11" MacBook Air is still the winner. Yes, it has a subpar display that many of you probably hate to look at. Yes, it's no longer the thinnest laptop. But it's still more practical not only in the sense that it has more ports but also the fact that its keyboard feels better than the new MacBook.

So, as a big fan of the 11-inch MacBook Air, it's natural for me to be worried about the future of this lineup. I couldn't care much about the 13" MacBook Air because I have a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. As powerful as that is, I still end up using the 11" Air more than the Pro. Despite being a small notebook, this laptop is truly amazing and is more capable than people give credit for. The perceived idea that the 10-11 inch laptops can't get actual work done -- thanks largely to the Windows machines of similar size -- doesn't really apply to the 11-inch MacBook Air. My brother has a 10" Asus laptop, and he was blown away when he started using the 11.6" MacBook Air. The difference is huge. This machine can actually get the work done.

That makes me wonder, am I the only one who's worried that the 11" MacBook Air may be phased out? Are you going to be missing it too? How would you replace the perfectly balanced 11" MacBook Air if it does get phased out?

Don't get me wrong. I love how the new MacBook looks and understand that that, too, can get some work done. But the keyboard just kills the deal for me. And that's what worries me. If Apple phases out the 11-inch MacBook Air, I don't know what my next ultraportable, take-it-everywhere laptop will be.

What about you?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
I've been writing my latest nonfiction book using my 11" mba (base 2014), and it's fine. It definitely gets the job done. But I can see an RMB in my future (next iteration probably.)

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
That makes me wonder, am I the only one who's worried that the 11" MacBook Air may be phased out? Are you going to be missing it too? How would you replace the perfectly balanced 11" MacBook Air if it does get phased out?

Anybody who wants an 11" MBA should be able to buy one for at least the next several years. They might have to buy used if Apple discontinues the model but they should still be able to get one.

So I don't think anybody should be too worried about the 11" MBA being "gone."

I have a 2014 11" MBA. I guess I might want to upgrade to a newer model in 4-5 years. By then I expect Apple to sell a laptop that I would like. Maybe a more capable rMB or maybe a smaller rMBP. So I'm not worried.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Agree with OP 100%. I'm selling my rMBP 13 purely because the MBA is perfect.

I would've "upgraded" to the new MacBook but the keyboard and graphics performance just doesn't cut it for me. Hopefully the MBA line gets updated (along the lines of Dell and it's XPS 13 2015), as I don't see the MacBook getting a better keyboard with more travel anytime soon.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
I like it too. The 11" also plays an important role as the entry to the mac-world as the lowest cost laptop which the macbook won't be able to match as long as its price stays as high as it is.

aisajib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
Dhaka, Bangladesh.
I love the 11" MBA. I have no interest in a portless Mac. Hope the 111" MBA stays around.

I hope so too!

I've been writing my latest nonfiction book using my 11" mba (base 2014), and it's fine. It definitely gets the job done. But I can see an RMB in my future (next iteration probably.)

I like how the RMB looks. I could even make do with one port. But I don't think that low key travel keyboard is going to cut it. :/

Anybody who wants an 11" MBA should be able to buy one for at least the next several years. They might have to buy used if Apple discontinues the model but they should still be able to get one.

So I don't think anybody should be too worried about the 11" MBA being "gone."

I have a 2014 11" MBA. I guess I might want to upgrade to a newer model in 4-5 years. By then I expect Apple to sell a laptop that I would like. Maybe a more capable rMB or maybe a smaller rMBP. So I'm not worried.

That makes sense. But if a product is phased out, buying an old one that's probably gonna stop receiving support is not a wise decision. The thing is, there aren't a lot of great laptops in 'really small sized' market. MacBook Air 11" is one in many. But yeah I do hope by the time Apple decides to stop producing 11" MacBook Air, they come up with something better.

I'm hoping the 11" MBA will stay for a while, although would like a better resolution. Doesn't have to retina, just match the 13" res and i'll probably get one.

It looks like MacBook is Apple's answer to a thin laptop with retina display. To be honest, even one port can be tolerated. But that keyboard...

Agree with OP 100%. I'm selling my rMBP 13 purely because the MBA is perfect.

I would've "upgraded" to the new MacBook but the keyboard and graphics performance just doesn't cut it for me. Hopefully the MBA line gets updated (along the lines of Dell and it's XPS 13 2015), as I don't see the MacBook getting a better keyboard with more travel anytime soon.

Exactly.That keyboard is what makes me sad about the new retina MacBook. I wish that keyboard doesn't make its way to the rest of the Mac lineup.

I like it too. The 11" also plays an important role as the entry to the mac-world as the lowest cost laptop which the macbook won't be able to match as long as its price stays as high as it is.

If you look at the original MacBook Air, it cost significantly higher than the MacBook Pro at that time. I'm assuming that's what's going to happen in this case, too. One or two generations later, the MacBook's price will come down and become cheaper than the retina MacBook Pro. When that happens, it becomes more likely that Apple's going to phase out the MacBook Air lineup. I wish they keep something in the 11.6" size and a full-sized keyboard with good key travel.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
I went from an 11" Air to a 13" Pro and ended up going back because I decided the 11" was perfect. You just can't beat how portable it is. If it goes then I'm guessing my next computer will be the rMB, but I don't see myself replacing my maxed out 11" Air anytime soon.

aisajib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
Dhaka, Bangladesh.
I went from an 11" Air to a 13" Pro and ended up going back because I decided the 11" was perfect. You just can't beat how portable it is. If it goes then I'm guessing my next computer will be the rMB, but I don't see myself replacing my maxed out 11" Air anytime soon.

The only thing that bothers me about the retina MacBook is the keyboard. :(

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
I'm very happy with my 2015 Air as my only computer (ports! I love ports!), and given the longevity stories here, believe that it will last me for quite a number of years. At that point, I don't really know if it'll still be around, but I also know that by then, the rMB will have gone through a number of iterations.

All in all, though it wasn't the cheapest computer out there fully-maxed, even though the rMB was tempting for several reasons, I won't be changing it anytime soon, either.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
The only thing that bothers me about the retina MacBook is the keyboard. :(
The rMB was tempting, but I think by the time I'm ready to upgrade the battery life will be better and the cpu a bit faster. I love how infrequently I need to plug the MBA in. I haven't used the keyboard, but the single port wouldn't bother me if the battery life was on par with the MBA.

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
The rMB was tempting, but I think by the time I'm ready to upgrade the battery life will be better and the cpu a bit faster. I love how infrequently I need to plug the MBA in. I haven't used the keyboard, but the single port wouldn't bother me if the battery life was on par with the MBA.

How much battery life are you getting, DL?

aisajib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
Dhaka, Bangladesh.

The single port wouldn't bother me much as well. But that keyboard is the only thing I don't like about the MacBook. And it's unlikely that's gonna get better (and by better, I mean have more key travel).

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
A bit over 10 hours. It's a 2013. No matter how much I throw at it for how long I've never had to worry about it lasting the day. That's hugely important to me in a laptop.

That's FANTASTIC! That's not what I'm getting but that's because of Chrome, I think. One I get off that...(it's like a crack pipe!)

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
That's FANTASTIC! That's not what I'm getting but that's because of Chrome, I think. One I get off that...(it's like a crack pipe!)
Haha, yeah, I'm just using Safari and I pulled Flash from the computer a while back too which I think made a difference. The El Cap beta seemed to have a positive effect on my battery life as well so I'm looking forward to the final release.

I'm sure the 13" would squeeze out a couple more hours, but I love the portability and light weight of the 11" and honestly, once you've hit that 9-10 hours "all-day" mark anything extra doesn't really matter.

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Haha, yeah, I'm just using Safari and I pulled Flash from the computer a while back too which I think made a difference. The El Cap beta seemed to have a positive effect on my battery life as well so I'm looking forward to the final release.

I'm sure the 13" would squeeze out a couple more hours, but I love the portability and light weight of the 11" and honestly, once you've hit that 9-10 hours "all-day" mark anything extra doesn't really matter.

I'm in the process of figuring out all the things that impact battery life for the Air and the iPhone - lots of good resources here and on the web.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Hell no, i love my 11" MBA. It's so light I can barely feel it in my bag, it's still relatively powerful (compared to the macbook anyway) and has a keyboard with proper keys!

I got it after carrying my 15" pro to work for a week - sod carrying that thing around all the time.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I love my 2013 11" MBA and plan to keep it for a few more years. It is my primary computer, I have the i7/8gb/512gb model. I don't much care if Apple discontinues it however, there should be some other good alternative available by the time I'm ready for a new computer. If there isn't, maybe I will switch to Windows.;)

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
What kind of battery life are you guys getting on your 11 Airs?

With brightness at 4 clicks from full, I get about 9/10 hours if I'm just watching videos and very light browsing. However anything remotely like medium level browsing (4+ tabs, changing websites frequently etc), my battery goes down to about 6/7 hours.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I think each of the computers in Apple's lineup (including the cMBP and the Air) serve purposes and I think Apple should continue to update them all and better position them their line up. I know a lot of people where the MBA would be better than the rMB.

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
What kind of battery life are you guys getting on your 11 Airs?

With brightness at 4 clicks from full, I get about 9/10 hours if I'm just watching videos and very light browsing. However anything remotely like medium level browsing (4+ tabs, changing websites frequently etc), my battery goes down to about 6/7 hours.

Well, last night/this morning was an interesting experiment. I had Safari open, with (all right, I'm terrible) way too many browsers open. Battery dropped like a stone. I moved the tabs to Safari and shut down Chrome; big difference not only on battery, but on CPU, Energy Impact and temperature. Closed the laptop at midnight at 33%; right now it's at 24% and I'll start re-charging at 10 am or so.

Basically, I'll have had just over 4 hours use (and 9 hours "sleep time") from 100-80%. But when the browser was Safari, with a lot of tabs open, it went from 100-60% (at about 1/3 light) in 90 minutes.

Probably more than you wanted/needed to know! At this point; I'm not really sure how much battery life I get.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Well, last night/this morning was an interesting experiment. I had Safari open, with (all right, I'm terrible) way too many browsers open. Battery dropped like a stone. I moved the tabs to Safari and shut down Chrome; big difference not only on battery, but on CPU, Energy Impact and temperature. Closed the laptop at midnight at 33%; right now it's at 24% and I'll start re-charging at 10 am or so.

Basically, I'll have had just over 4 hours use (and 9 hours "sleep time") from 100-80%. But when the browser was Safari, with a lot of tabs open, it went from 100-60% (at about 1/3 light) in 90 minutes.

Probably more than you wanted/needed to know! At this point; I'm not really sure how much battery life I get.

Wow your battery life is quite good. I assume you're always at the brightness setting though?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.