Am I the only one who loves the slimmer form factor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macbook14in, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Macbook14in macrumors regular

If it's still as bulky as the previous gen, I'd never buy a Macbook Pro, would rather stick to my Macbook Air.

2. 1024724 macrumors member

Super.

3. No. 44 macrumors member

No. 44

I find the 2016 MacBook Pro to be extremely heavy and cumbersome.

If Apple would just get rid of those useless ports and the keyboard, the MacBook would be much lighter and slimmer.

Maybe the next iteration will be better...

4. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

If that wasn't sarcasm it's final proof this forum has members who have lost the plot and will never be happy with anything. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and hope you get your hands on a PowerBook G4.

5. AppleSmack macrumors regular

Lol, the MacPad Pro, the mac that pleases everyone and no-one.

6. AppleSmack macrumors regular

And this is why we are where we are.

7. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Of course you're not the only one who loves the slimmer form factor. That's why the Air exists; because some people want the slimmer form factor more than they want the things the machine could do if it weren't constrained by the thin form factor.

8. sinoka56 macrumors regular

If they could put batteries into the keys they could make it thinner because thinner is always better right?

9. Macalway macrumors 68020

This is especially true with the 15, and I guess the 13, but you have other options for that size.

10. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

Am I the only one that doesn't think the 2016 MacBook Pro is that much thinner than the 2015? Sure it's a little thinner but not as significant as I thought it was going to be. Still trying to decide on the keyboard myself, I definitely prefer the chiclet keys but I am getting use to these, but man they are loud!!

11. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Coming from the 2012 15" rMBP, I love the form factor of the 2016 15".

12. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Nope! The main reason I purchased the 2016 13" MBPTB was because of the form factor.

I would have stayed with the 2015 12" MB had they not came out with the new model.

Yes size matters!
    :apple::)

13. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

Yes, you are. :p

14. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Well that pretty much nails it.

The new MBP is essentially an updated Air...

15. plexdk macrumors 6502

Nah, the MacBook 12" is in that class :p

16. Jaekae macrumors 6502

An air thats better than all the macbook pro´s released before this one

17. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

It's only the only current Apple laptop you can charge an iPhone on out of the box...

18. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

Having owned the 13" Air, two different 11" Airs and finally the 2015 & 2016 12" MacBooks, the size and form factor was definitely important to me. This new 13" TB MBP is pretty much perfect size-wise; it's what made me give my 2016 12" MB to the wife. I really do like the form factor. Not all that much bigger than the 11" Air (I know this because it fits in my Waterfield Muzetto bag that was made for the 11" Air.) Also it is very well made and slim with no flexing when picking it up by the palm rests. Also, my 13" TB MBP stays pretty cool--only occasionally getting warm during software updates and when using Parallels--though never too hot to use on my lap or anything. All in all, a great form factor for a more pro machine with added USB-c/TB3 ports. And having already owned the previous MacBooks, I have the two dongles I use the most (c to A and c to Gigabit ethernet.)

19. Gualwer macrumors regular

I just got my new MacBook Pro last night! I love the design so far, although the keyboards do sound a lot louder (or maybe it's just me), but I'm sure I'll just get use to it. So far I love my MacBook the only thing I'm worried about is battery life. Today I've been using it just for internet browsing and it scares me how fast its dropped since I unplugged it! I guess I'll see throughout the week how it does.

20. Jaekae macrumors 6502

i can since i ordered with a usb-c lightning cable in the box

21. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Why would you want to charge an iPhone on a laptop? I don't get that. Use the wall charger that came with the iPhone.

22. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Why in the world would anyone want a thinner, lighter PORTABLE computer? Outrageous right? Apple has not lost it's way, people who expect behemoth portable computers have. People are now mobile more than ever. Those that don't understand that an inch or half pound matter, don't move their "portable" computers around too often.

23. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I loved the form factor and all the new features, but the hit to the battery was simply too much so I returned mine and will see what the next update brings. It's a great piece of machinery, but they definitely rushed it out the door. Lots of graphics issues and freezes and that was after the recent macOS update.

24. Salaryman Ryan macrumors member

Salaryman Ryan

Weight is not a problem for me. Carried heaver laptops back in the day but I love how Apple reduced the size of the 13 inch to make it smaller then the 13 inch Air. Made it easier to fit in my bags. The Air is still an excellent computer with phenomenal battery life. Enjoy.

PS. The none touch bar MBP gets me 10 hours on my workflow of keynote, light photoshop, and safari.

25. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I think many people like the new form factor, but don't like the compromises necessary to make it possible.