Am I the only one who loves the Smart Cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by sportsfrk214, Mar 16, 2011.

1. sportsfrk214, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

The iPad 2 is my first iPad, and in the days leading up to the launch I didn't know what I was going to do to protect the device. I decided to get the Smart Cover thinking that at the least, it would provide me with something that would prop the device up until a better option came along. 5 days later and I can say that I love my Smart Cover.

I don't like putting Bodyguardz or Invisible Shields on the front of devices. I only do so out of necessity because they are mobile devices that are constantly going in and out of pockets and all. I can't describe it, but you can just see the difference between devices with and without a film on it. I prefer it to not have one on the front, and the Smart Cover does just that. I feel like I do not need a shield for the front because the Smart Cover will protect it when I'm not using it, and the way I use it, it'll never scratch when I'm using it.

A lot of people complain it doesn't protect the back. I personally don't care. I love the feeling of the iPad without using it in a case, so I plan to just carry the iPad in a sleeve when I'm not using it. Again, the way I use it, dropping it while using it will be impossible. However, I might buy a shield for the back, only as an insurance policy so that the device has better resale value down the line. I don't mind a shield on back because I never look at the back.

Bottom line, I like the Smart Cover. It's good for minimal use and serves my needs exactly. I understand how people who take their iPads in and out of loaded bags everyday might find a Smart Cover insufficient, but for the way I use it, I think a shield on the back and a sleeve for when I take it out will be just fine.

Anyone else love their Smart Cover? For the record I have the gray poly on a black iPad and it looks great!

2. mattaz02 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just got my white ipad2 this morning with a black leather smart cover and I have to say I enjoy it! It works great.

3. JayDH macrumors 6502

Just got my white iPad yesterday and picked up an orange smart cover today. I love it so far. It works exactly as advertised and provides protection on the front or back, depending on where you use it. For example, I swing it around to the back when I am using the iPad on my desk so that the back doesn't get scratched. I am typing this post on my iPad with the smart cover propping it up. Genius design.

4. OptyCT macrumors 6502

I also have the gray poly/black iPad combo and really enjoy my Smart Cover. It's a cover, viewing stand, typing stand, and instant wake device all in one.

5. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I like it not that I used it much yet my ipad is still syncing LOL FOREVER (I got tons of apps and music some movies and podcasts too)
    But I got it in Monday and was skeptic. I think it does what it is intended to do and so I am fine. And if you hate it well then look around there are already tons of 3rd party items out there ......AND some using Apples design!

6. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I like mine! I just wish my BSE for the back would hurry up and get here.

7. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I was first not sure since I had been using an SGP Leather Vintage case which was pretty thin and protected the iPad1 completely. I since found that I like the Smart Cover and the feel of the iPad2 naked (been using my iPhone4 naked since day 1). I did not want to get the back scratched so I bought a Galaxy screen protect to protect most of the back of the iPad2. It works well and even has a slightly rubbery feeling so it makes picking it up easier. I am still thinking about getting a sleeve or something just so I can carry it in my laptop case and set it down around the house without worrying about it getting scratched.

8. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

If you don't care about protecting the back.. why do you care about protecting the screen? The iPad screen is made of highly durable scratch-resistant glass - it is the part of the iPad that needs the least protection.

9. diacritic macrumors regular

I would say it's because the screen is what you actually look into and interact with when using the ipad. Who sits around and stares at the back?

10. itcrashed macrumors regular

itcrashed

I like the Smart Cover - it does exactly what it was advertised to do.

The only gripe I have is when in "typewriter" mode, the lower edge of the iPad is prone to getting scratched if you are not on a perfectly smooth surface. I may get some clear vinyl film and cut out some "feet" for it.

11. whiskeyred macrumors regular

I like mine, but lately it seems the inside is grabbing more dust and debris. Each time I open it up I am wiping it down. I think it's cool just not very functional for my taste. I am considering returning.

12. ihonda macrumors 68000

im very curious whats going to happen when they get dirty, how easy will it be to clean? i have the light blue one.. im on the fence about returning because i dont want it looking horrible within a month

13. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

But again.. it's not easy to damage iPad screen. I have been using the original iPad for over a year with completely uncovered screen - it has zero scratches or blemishes. The back on the other hand is easily scratchable, and while you don't usually look at it - having a scratched back completely kills the resale value of the iPad.

The way I look at the SmartCover - it's a fancy prop up for the iPad.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I totally agree. In my experience, the magnets holding the cover to the front of the iPad sometimes slip off quite easily, so I don't trust it to protect even the front of the iPad if it's jostling with other things inside a bag. I always place the iPad+Smart Cover in a slip case before putting it in my messenger bag.

However, I do love how well it works as a stand, and I like that it's easy to slip off when not needed. And while I would like some protection for the back, I don't like the folio-style cases, precisely because the front cover doesn't come off. For the iPad 1, I had a Belkin Grip Vue case with screen protector, which was perfect for me. I'm hoping someone will come out with a similar style case that works with the Smart Cover, but until then, I'll just live with the naked back, and handle my iPad 2 a lot more gingerly than I did the iPad 1!

15. mcarthon macrumors regular

Your right the smart cover is fancy prop up and your point? A piece of glass is always going to be harder to damage than aluminum so what?(when attaining to scratches.)
    The smart cover doesnt say it's an end all case heck it's not even a case it's a "smart COVER" no one is trying to trick you into buying one. If you don't like it don't buy it/return it.

16. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Risk is not solely determined by how likely something is to happen. You must also factor in the severity of the event happening. So while you may be right that your more likely scratch the back of the iPad than the screen your overlooking the fact that a scratched back will not effect the usability of the iPad. A scratch across the screen could seriously detract from usability.

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

No, there's an Apple fanboi a few threads down that "loves" his cover, too.:rolleyes:

18. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

Great comment.

I used the Apple case for my iPad one, and BABIED the thing. I didn't treat it like a mobile device when I handled it. I treated it like a laptop.

And still I got a scratch in the screen. Have no idea how. Probably something got between the case and the screen. But it was horrible. It did affect the quality of enjoyment, and was ALWAYS visible. It wasn't big either, but it was there.

Screen is by far the most important thing to protect in terms of user enjoyment.

19. '73-B macrumors regular

I got the blue poly cover. Having realistic expectations about what it is and is not (a case), I can say I quite like it. I ordered a BSE for the front and back, but for now, when I put the iPad down, I close the smart cover and place it upside to avoid scratching the back. It's great for around the house, which honestly is where the iPad will be used 90% of the time. I don't understand all the whining about the smart covers though. If it doesn't suit your needs then don't buy it, but just because it's not for you doesn't mean that it's not a great solution for others.

20. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I am happy with the Smart Cover at home because I can use it the way I am right now with the iPad on a pillow propped against my legs.....the iPad doesn't slip or slide on the pillow because the Smart cover gives it enough friction to hold it in place....

21. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I've been protecting my iPad 2 by carrying it in cheap Case Logic sleeve--new form factor just begs to be used naked, IMO (used a Portzenzo notebook for my old iPad, worked/looked great). Only downside to this is that I have no easy/reliable means to prop the iPad either for typing or viewing videos unless I also carry my portable stand, so as I had $20 in BB rewards sitting around, decided to pick up a green poly smart cover and have to say, I really like it. The wake/sleep function seemed to be just a gimmick but after using it for a bit, it's a pretty nice feature.

If I wasn't also using a sleeve, I doubt I would use the smart cover alone--probably would resort to some type of folio or notebook style but with the sleeve, the smart cover takes care of all of my other needs.

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm sure you're not the only one who likes them. If I had an iPad 2, I'd probably get it too.

23. Mitch2742 macrumors member

I like it, but I don't love it. I like it as a stand, but as protection it just doesn't cut it. It falls off in my backpack for whatever reason, too. Ordered a ColcaSac sleeve though to make up for the Smart Cover's downsides.

24. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Any word on whether the Poly or Leather is going to hold up better over time. Does the leather scuff way to easy. Or is the poly kind of cheap.

25. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

That has to be about the dumbest question I have seen on MacRumors.

I care about the screen because I view the iPads visual output via the screen. The back of the case has no function along those lines.

The screen can be scratched easily - it does not have the hardness of diamond or sapphire.

:rolleyes: