iPad mini Am I the only one who uses my rMini as is...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kadin, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

instead of hunting for possible problems with it?

I know this is nothing new around here but it still makes me shake my head when people will come to these forums and do nothing but try and rain on other people's parades. I don't expect the place to be 100% positive but it's pretty obvious and blatant when more than a few people do it constantly and pop into every thread throwing around negative garbage.

I don't go trying to burn-in my screen to show image retention, or try to find a dead pixel here or there, or try and tell myself it's yellow or blue in this spot or that spot, or compare it to another iPad to show it's not exactly the same in color gamut, etc. etc.

I just use it. That's it. I buy these to enjoy, not to go over with a fine-tooth comb until I find something I don't like. And if I happen to stumble across something, which I have yet to do, unless it completely prohibited me from using it, I will shrug it off and go about my day.

I know, I'm kinda crazy like that...

2. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I use it as is too. And love it. Now my only problem is whether to keep this or the Air.

3. cdcrowell macrumors 6502

cdcrowell

I agree.to me my rmini is perfect .im enjoying it a lot over the first gen

4. bidwalj macrumors 65816

My thoughts exactly. Pick up the device, set it up and just use the thing. If the defect is obvious, then yes it will bug me and I'll go swap it out. People are making certain things a bigger issue than it needs to be.

5. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Loving mine as well. Not worried about or looking for yellow, blue, image retention, gamuts, etc. It's so much better than my old mini.

6. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

I've noticed there are a lot of crazy people on this forum. You sound too normal to post here ;)

7. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

I use mine in the toilet. I've never been so excited too poo in my life.

8. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I'm with you :). Had an Air for a few days and returned it for the mini. Love everything about the portability and that was king for me. I'm extremely happy now and wouldn't trade it for anything.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, you are not. It sometimes seems that way, but that's because most satisfied Mini owners don't come onto these forums to say how nice their Minis are. On the other hand... :rolleyes:

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I want rMini enhanced poos :(

Too bad my rMini is only "Prepared for Shipment" :/

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

I'll generally check for the following:

--Backlight bleeding (because it can be seen in normal use when watching letterboxed movies)
    --Dead pixels (can be seen in normal use)
    --Bad tint/uneven tint (usually not too hard to see in real life under normal use on white websites)

What I won't do though, is scream "yellow tint!" automatically on a uniform screen because the difference between warm/color accurate and a defective yellow tint is a very fine line. The other thing I won't do is crank my brightness to 100% and then put up that checkerboard for 15 minutes and act disgusted when there is image retention, because I will never, ever run into that or do that in real life. There's a reason computers have screensavers. The iPad 4 was supposedly notorious for IR, but aside from my checks above which all check out, my iPad 4 is absolutely flawless. Who knows, maybe I could burn a checkerboard into it, but I've never tried nor seen a reason to, and I've spent the last year absolutely thrilled with the device.

I think it's ok to do a little quality checking on your screen for obvious issues, but some of the "tests" are just absurd.

13. mcdj, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Nitpicky folks here are many things, but they are not self congratulatory.

Great, so you aren't overly exacting about your ipad. You and lots of other people. So what? You don't get a pat on the back for that, sorry.

The only thing a post like yours serves to do is make yourself, and those who agree with you, feel proud. Whoopee.

By contrast, those who discover, or are concerned about problems they may discover with their iPads, post here in order to gather and share information about the problems, their scope, and any possible solutions.

People who post about flaws or hunt for them are not doing it to make themselves feel proud. They do so, ultimately, in the name of helping themselves and others arrive at the exact same place you are at; being able to just enjoy the iPad and not worry about it.

For some people with a more critical eye than yours, this might be harder than it is for you. Big deal.

Maybe you can look at an iPad Air screen and not see a color shift. Great. But I can. Maybe you're not a photo retoucher. But I am.

Maybe scratches on the casing don't bother you. Maybe they would if you were a diamond cutter, for whom seeing imperfections is like scratching a chalkboard.

Maybe you're not a perfectionist of any kind. That's ok. Not everyone is, and not everyone needs to be. But there are some places where you will find a lot of perfectionists. One is Apple's design studios in Cupertino. Another is MacRumors forums, where people are as passionate about Apple products as the people who make them, and sometimes even more so.

The differences between Cupertino and MacRumors forums are vast, but one thing is certain; a guy like you wouldn't last 5 minutes working at Apple. However, you're welcome around here. But the perfectionists aren't going anywhere, so either learn to share the road, or pull over.

And it's worth noting that if it weren't for the perfectionists in Cupertino and their like minded cult of fans, there would likely be no MacRumors, because there would likely be no Apple.

There are a lot of people on these forums who hold Apple to the same exacting standards they set for themselves. Apple sets the bar high. Their fans help hold it up.

This is not to say there aren't a couple of loose screws floating around here. There are definitely some who will never be satisfied, because they really aren't looking to be satisfied; they are all about the hunt. No new character profiles there. Those types of people are everywhere. And they can get annoying. But it's all part of the fabric of this place.

MacRumors is like a bus station. Most of us are here to ride the bus. Some want a perfect ride. Some don't mind a few bumps. But some people here have no intention of ever riding a bus.

Including those standing around complaining about the station.

14. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

There is a big difference between doing a once over to make sure your device is good vs reading thru every problem thread you can find and then habitually checking to see if your device can duplicate it. Yet 5 minutes earlier you were happy.

Folks have become compulsive with this crap and if you do not see that then it is because you do not want too.

We are all on the bus, but some just look out the window enjoying the scenery while others are looking around to see what is wrong with the bus and never really enjoy the ride.

15. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

rMini fine here as well.

So glad I chose this over the Air.

:D

16. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

See, here is your problem: you see people trying to get more info about a design/manufacturing defect, discuss a defect, or etc. as "raining on your parade."

1. The world does not revolve around you, or anyone else.
    2. Those people discussing image retention, yellow screens, etc. probably have no idea who you are, nor do they care. They are there to discuss a very real problem with their device.
    3. Why should these things bother you at all? How does a few people having real problems detract from your enjoyment of the ipad?

If you enjoy your iPad, I am glad for you. It should be an enjoyable experience. What does it matter what other people talk about.

No one is trying to bring anyone down or "rain on anyone's parade." That's pretty funny that you would even think that way.

17. LabGuy macrumors member

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! You guys are USING your iPad mini and not wasting your lives looking for problems with it!? What are you doing on MacRumors!? This is CLEARLY a place for people to bitch and moan about issues about a product that only exist to people with severe OCD or who put the device through circumstances that it would never be in under normal conditions!!! BLASPHEMY!!! FOR SHAME!!!!!

18. taff2003 macrumors member

I'm using mine as intended, and love it.

My glass is definitely half-full. :)

19. WashupDawg macrumors regular

Very nicely put. I like the bus analogy.

We need perfectionists and fault-hunters. Without them companies would be getting away with lazy QC and a lot more issues than we have right now.

When Apple claims that their new iPad/iPhone/iWhatever is the best iPad/iPhone/iWhatever yet, I think it's fair to make sure they keep their word and doesn't deliver a cost-reduced product that has taken all possible shortcuts for higher profits.

Apple products carry premium price tags so I expect the quality to be premium as well.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Frankly, yes, it's def totally crazy and nutty for some one here to actually have a life to the point he doesn't have the interest spending all day looking over a $400 toy as-if it was the Hope Diamond you were acquiring. :D You have to understand that the people eyeballing their toy so hard are the ones too smart to get hired by Apple and want to prove to the world why.

----------

Best ever does not equal perfect, it means it improved on the previous version. And "premium" is a meaningless marketing world. I submit to you: A-B calls it's Michelob beer "premium lager." The iPad is at the high range of consumer tablets. It's a BMW not a Bentley.

21. double329 macrumors 6502

When you spent that kind of money, you want the quality and functionality you paid for. Remember, iPad is reference standard. All manufactures want to match that. If iPad is no better then no name brand tablet that cost less then $200, then Apple needs price iPad at $200. Then I would be that nit picking about it. My complaint is apps are continue to crashed in iOS 7. Yes, I can return it and buy something else. I want the ref tablet, the best. I am hoping Apple just needs to step up on this. Perhaps, if Steve is still around, things might get handle a bit better.

22. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

No, not perfectionist, weirdos is more like it.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you want the best, buy the Air. :D

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And what was that, exactly? What did Apple promise you that you didn't get? :confused:

Seriously. I want to know.

25. AppleRobert macrumors 603

99% of owners use devices as they are. They read, browse, play games, check email, etc etc.

They do not even know Macrumors forum exists, probably do not check much for a software update, etc etc.

Even if they read somewhere about issues, most aren't going to care because they can do what they want on their device and they are only minor to them anyway.