Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2002
Got my iPad2 (64gig att) and I love it. It's so much faster than the old one, but apps crash all the time, especially safari. Sometimes apps wont launch at all until I restart it and then it's fine for a while. I know this is a new device and thus this could be normal, but just wondering, am I the only one or are other people having similar issues?

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
No problems like what you describe here. Some resource intensive apps will fail to open and perform properly if you got too many apps open.

You could try restoring your iPad to see if that changes anything.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
I've had to reboot mine twice since I got it on Friday. Facetime video feed got frozen on a single frame from the previous day, rebooted my iPad and that fixed that problem. Just last night when I tried to turn the cellular data back on for Verizon but it wouldn't even attempt to connect to Verizon at all, reboot fixed that as well. Those are the only 2 issues I've experienced thus far.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Got my iPad2 (64gig att) and I love it. It's so much faster than the old one, but apps crash all the time, especially safari. Sometimes apps wont launch at all until I restart it and then it's fine for a while. I know this is a new device and thus this could be normal, but just wondering, am I the only one or are other people having similar issues?

Yea the iOS is buggy for sure... Same issues with FaceTime and app crashes. Fret not, apple shall resolve these issues soon (we hope......)

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Angry Birds crashes constantly but i think that's only due to a buggy Angry Birds.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Sorry to hear about your issues,I haven't had any crashes or freezes since I got mine Sunday morning.

No1up

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
I think it's iOS 4.3 my phone is running slower, Like the 3GS! and battery seems to drain a bit quicker!

boat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2002
From what I can tell by visiting the store, you might be the only one with an iPad 2.:mad:

Haha, I had to wait in line for an hour :)
I think the flagship stores have more stock and luckily I live near apple store soho. But anyway, glad to hear I'm not the only one. I figure it might also be because I have like 100 apps on there. Hopefully this all gets fixed with a software update but I'm just worried I have a lemon. My old iPad was super-stable.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA

I think it's iOS 4.3, not iPad 2. 4.3 seems to have broken the Gamefly app on both my iPhone 4 and iPad 1 -- it won't connect to the internet when everything else will -- and I've had a couple of app crashes that never crashed before.

So, I think I'd not worry about my iPad 2 until the bug fix for iOS 4.3 comes out, fixes things for everyone with iPhones and original iPads, but not for iPad 2s.

And, yeah, you may be the only person with an iPad 2. ;-) But with an estimated 70% of buyers first-time iPad owners, stock shortages are expected. If it was more evenly split, or mostly people upgrading from the original iPad, there would be more stock. But a lot of original iPad owners will wait a cycle, until iPad 3, and a lot of people who watched the iPad "revolution" with envy will be jumping in at iPad 2. That's going to mean quite a wait for a couple months, I think.

Me, I'm okay with stock shortages. Nothing will cure knee-jerk upgrade fever like a two-month wait before you can easily walk in and buy that upgrade. By then one's resolve to wait for iPad 3 will have become (mostly) impermeable.

****Oops, I just checked Gamefly's app and now it works fine with no app update whatsoever. Must have been on Gamefly's server end. Oh well. Now my original iPad is back to being super-stable. But, still, there are all sorts of issues with updated hardware and apps that might crop up and be easily fixed by an OS and/or app compatibility fix release. I wouldn't lament the iPad 2 as less stable than the original just yet.

Last edited:

commad

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
I have had a few bugs, but nothing that I would call major.

*Going to safari after watching a YouTube video often results with safari having blank white pages. Just have to close safari and start it again. I think this is a widespread problem that others have been reporting.

*on safari and multi-task to garage band and sound on garage band is distorted for a few seconds. This happend a few times, but during the same garage band session.

*safari and YouTube have crashed a few times

*on one occasion FaceTime video was frozen and needed to restart to resolve.

I am sure most of these issues will be addressed with an update eventually. I am overall happy with the ipad2 performance thus far.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
You might want to do a Restore As New then Restore from Backup to see if that helps.

Are any of you having problems using restored data from an iPad 1 on your iPad 2? Or did you start fresh?

If restored from an iPad 1, was it previously jailbroken?

Just trying to better understand the issue. My iPad 2 arrives in 3-4 weeks.

commad

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
You might want to do a Restore As New then Restore from Backup to see if that helps.

Are any of you having problems using restored data from an iPad 1 on your iPad 2? Or did you start fresh?

If restored from an iPad 1, was it previously jailbroken?

Just trying to better understand the issue. My iPad 2 arrives in 3-4 weeks.

My issues are from a "fresh start". I didnt have a previous iPad to restore from.

Grubster

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010

Having similar issues, but I did restore from a iPad 1 backup. I am thinking of restoring again and setting up as NEW. Haven't updated my iPad 1 yet to 4.3. For sure it is software related, not iPad 2 related.

Ardency

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
iBooks kept crashing last night. When I would click more during a search it would freeze up. It happened about 3 times and then I gave up. When I tried it today, it worked.

boat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2002
Having similar issues, but I did restore from a iPad 1 backup. I am thinking of restoring again and setting up as NEW. Haven't updated my iPad 1 yet to 4.3. For sure it is software related, not iPad 2 related.

Yeah I'm thinking of doing the same thing, let me know how it goes if you do it.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010

I have had a few buggy issues like I was just trying to play some video files through home sharing that play just fine on my iPhone but crashed the iPod app. Fixing to reboot and try again since I have been playing with the iPad so much I am likely using a lot of memory right now.

dls78731

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Got mine (32gig 3G Verizon) at the temporary Apple Store in Austin (SXSW). Already had several issues:
  1. Accelerometer died for about 20 minutes, then came back
  2. Auto-sleep/wake with the cover stopped working after two days
  3. Won't charge when connected to Macbook (only when plugged into wall)
  4. And most irratating, Garageband electric guitar sound frozen, ipad non-responsive to reset attempts. Grrr.

It's wickedly cool when it works, but how am I gonna convince the wife to let me keep it when I have to let it run the battery down to stop its Hendrix/Tourette's spazathon. $1000 cat in heat. Argh.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I've had to reboot mine twice since I got it on Friday. Facetime video feed got frozen on a single frame from the previous day, rebooted my iPad and that fixed that problem. Just last night when I tried to turn the cellular data back on for Verizon but it wouldn't even attempt to connect to Verizon at all, reboot fixed that as well. Those are the only 2 issues I've experienced thus far.

I've experienced the same thing with Facetime. Super annoying, especially when there's an incoming call! Hopefully they'll fix this soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.