Am I the only one with worse 2.1 experience?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by micb1, Sep 18, 2008.

1. micb1 macrumors newbie

2.1 seems to be worse for me on my 3G 16GB iPhone ...
    Safari is very unstable and I go back to home screen all the time.
    Safari does not remember pages when going to other tabs! That was originaly fixed in 1.0.1!
    Applications are crashing a lot more.
    Battery life is exactly the same.
    Doing 2 things at once is nearly impossible - cannot listen to music and browse! I used to be able to do that on my 2G iPhone!
    Contacts is still as slow.

:-(

Anybody with the same experience!

Mic

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Did you upgrade or restore?

If you just upgraded, I would suggest restoring. Otherwise I would try to get it replaced, because that does not sound normal.

TEG

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

My iPhone with 2.1 is driving me insane! I absolutely love the phone - it's by far and away the best phone I've ever had, but the battery life is appalling.
    It's the first "convergence" device that I feel will actually work, but I can't use the iPod functionality on it during the day because the battery life is so poor. Even if I nurse it through the day and turn off 3G, GPS, etc, etc it barely gets me to 5:30pm before I get the 20% warning. If I use the iPod, 3G and GPS it's dead by lunchtime :(
    I've tried a battery recalibration and done a restore instead of an upgrade but it's made no difference. I'm currently now trying a full DFU restore in a desperate hope that it will sort out the problem. If it doesn't I'm going to have to get a different phone because I need a device that can see me through the day

4. trunksu macrumors 6502

what do you do all day? if you could give us details on your usage we can maybe gauge if you have a bad battery?

to the OP: i'd suggest what TEG said. just do a restore from scratch. don't restore your backup either. just do a fresh start. you will lose your current SMS messages, bluetooth connections, and bookmarks but i think it's worth the price for a stable 2.1 :)

if you've done that already (including restoring without using a backup) then i'd say take it back to the apple store.

5. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

My 3G before the update would last barely one day on light phone usage but pretty heavy iPod and surfing. After the update the same usage gets me more than two days. HUGE improvement for me.

Also, no app crashing, fast downloading and installing, better reception (a lot better)... now I have the phone I thought I was getting when I bought it!:D

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Typically read and reply to about 25 emails, make 1 hour of calls and send half a dozen text messages. On top of that, maybe spend 1/2 hour browsing the internet

7. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'd say something is wrong with your battery life. I think you should be getting much better results than you are.

8. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Actually, I've noticed no change.

Safari still crashes every once in a while, still having contacts and text messaging lag, 3rd party Apps crashing, rapid and erratic EDGE/HSDPA switching, spotty phone service, and erratic speeds. O, and I completed restored.

I've accepted it.

9. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah Phil, I'd say it's a battery problem. My off-duty supervisor's 3G iPhone did that a few days after we bought it and they replaced it immediately...:(

11. micb1 thread starter macrumors newbie

TEG, no, I have 'only' updated from 2.0 to 2.1.

So, I have backed-up everything, erased everything, restored to factory settings and then restored the whole lot.

And, TEG you were right, things are a lot smoother now! And Safari works well... Thanks!

Just amazed that Apple now use black Microsoft magic... :p

Mic

12. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Battery Life

From a stability point of view, for me 2.1 has been outstanding. In terms of battery life, it has seen a marginal improvement. However, the improvement in battery life is not seen under heavy use. I think you get more juice out of it through savings in standby.

I notice that it goes through a lot less power when you are only doing ordinary cell phone stuff calling, sms etc. However, using wi-fi 3g ipod etc and the battery life seems to be the same.

That's my experience

13. n0de macrumors 6502

The mail outage is killing me, and alot of other people as well.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1708956&tstart=0

I upgraded and everything went fine, then slowly my mail refused to arrive, by either Push or Fetch and then my Calendar refused to even open (because of my exchange account not being able to sync).

I have done a restore and even wiped the device and reconfigured everything. Nothing works.

I am going to have to switch to a BB soon if this does not get fixed soon.

So no, you are not the only one with a horrible experience.

14. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Me too with the mail. I had some other issues and after a hard reset those issues are gone BUT the email remains and is very frustrating. I feel silly constantly having to check if i got mail since it won't alert me anymore. Basic feature of a smartphone doesn't work. Really pathetic. They just tell people to restore it. That doesn't help!!!! They tell people 2.1 was the fix for it. NOT.

15. MemphisDave macrumors regular

MemphisDave

Same here.... my iPhone is working waaay better now... After we had some bugs with 2.0.1, it's shut me up about asking for more.. I just want a solid iPhone 1st, and fun stuff second... firmware 2.1 has made my phone work solid again...
    MemphisDave