Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mariahlullaby, Jul 1, 2007.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Am I only the one that gets blisteringly frustrated when I ask a friend "How do you spell ---" only to get the cheerful response "Look it up in the dictionary!" ? How am I supposed to look up something I don't know how to spell, if all the words are arranged alphabetically? :mad:

Just my rant o' the day.

This is why I use Google. If I am close, it spits out the word I want :p

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

3. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

Google is the best spell checker of all time. It must use search history from other users to figure out what you are trying to spell; it is just too accurate.

4. Lau Guest

When I was at primary school, they brought out a dictionary that had the words listed under common misspelt words, so you could look up, say, "knocker" under "N", and so on. Thought it was a good idea, although one that took in an adults vocabulary would be bloody huge, because even the kids one was big.

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea, Googling works pretty well. I just keep spelling it different ways until I get it right. If I can't figure it out, I Google. Never fails. Dictionary widget is also awesome.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yeah I had something like that as well...it was cool but I didn't really have to use it very much. I've never had much trouble spelling stuff...though it is annoying to have people tell you to look it up in the dictionary.

It's also really annoying when someone asks if anyone knows how to spell something, you start spelling it for them, and then someone else cuts you off and spells it over you. Rude people. :rolleyes:

7. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I have more of this problem in Spanish class... "How do you say blue in Spanish?" ... "LOOK IT UP IN THE DICTIONARY."

8. pianoman181 macrumors regular

My usual response is "the same way it sounds." Phonetic alphabets are teh ****.

9. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I don't ask people, I just look it up in the dictionary so they don't have to waste their breath.

10. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Azul = blue rojo = red negro = black .. thanks dash ;)

11. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

If you ever say that to me I will punch you in the face. Its not like I carry a dictionary with me everywhere I go. :rolleyes:

12. MacAnkka macrumors regular

I don't have to listen to that kind of stuff here, as Finnish is pretty much written exactly as it is spoken. So spelling is very, very easy :p

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

See, people here cannot even speak english correctly -- so we cannot expect them to spell it correctly even if it was written exactly as it was spoken.