Am I the Only One?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by majiklantrn, Jan 21, 2008.

1. majiklantrn macrumors member

I'm thinking of buying a Black Macbook to use for work cause I really don't like Windows. I got a new job and they gave me a Dell D630 running XP. And to be perfectly honest I hate it. It has random reboots and I really dislike windows.

Am I the only person that purchases his own machines to use for work?

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

My work bought me a Samsung R40 laptop running Windows XP (I'm typing on it now despite it being 4:38AM lol. But I too am looking to buy a Macbook (but a white one) to use for work. I've also been looking on ebay for a good condition Powerbook because I'd quite like a 1.5GHz Powerbook if I can get one at a good price.

Do you know of any mac software to enable me to connect my mac to a Novell network?

3. majiklantrn thread starter macrumors member

I haven't connected to a Novell network in years. Whats kind of nice is my work has the OS X software for our VPN. And I tried Entourage 08 with our exchange and that works.

4. phoxrenvatio macrumors regular

i bought a macbook pro for my work a year & 1/2 ago, still use it everyday, they're better machines. ask if you can sell the dell back to them to help pay for your blackbook.

5. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I work for a pretty small startup (~25 developers?), and while a fairly nice dual-monitor, Dell, Ubuntu setup is provided for everyone (I have one too and use it every now and then for stuff), I have typically brought in my own mac. Right now I actually have a 24" iMac there and absolutely love it. It seriously makes my work day much happier. :)

6. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Now that would be nice. I must say Entourage is one of my favourite Mac programs (although not tried 08 yet). When I'm at work, I will be able to connect a mac to the LAN port and access the internet, etc, but I sometimes need to print from my laptop and all our printers are networked using Novell iPrint Client. One option would be to find the IP address and do IP printing I guess. (It's a good job I'm employed as the departments IT Support :p)

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Is the 24" iMac your personal machine? I would never take anything to work that wasn't a laptop...I'd miss it too much at home lol

8. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

:confused: Random reboots are one of the best features of XP. I never used to save my work every 15 minutes, but Random Reboots keeps me on my toes. :)

9. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Now that's glass-half-full thinking! See how much of a better, more responsible person Windows has made you? We should be thanking Gates for the forced growth and cursing Jobs for making things too darn simple and reliable! ;)

10. majiklantrn thread starter macrumors member

Spending my own cash makes me feel weird though. I doubt my company would let me turn in the Dell to get a Mac. I did get approval to use a mac at work though. Seeing how I'll be doing a lot of unix stuff I don't see a problem.

11. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

haha yeah it is, I bought it myself. I figure I'm on a computer more at work than at home, so I should have a setup I enjoy! (and could always sell if I needed the cash) I'll be getting a laptop soon for other stuff, and who knows, maybe a Mac Pro someday if I get seriously into Logic Studio...that is, if the wife allows it. :cool:

12. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I try not to spend too much money on stuff for work (hence buying a Macbook rather than a Macbook Pro), etc. I bought a DVD Duplicator last summer to produce DVD's of our summer schools. Went to take it home last week and they tried to stop me because they thought it was theirs. Damn cheek!

13. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

When I worked at IBM I had to buy my own Thinkpad because they were going to set me up with an old crappy Thinkpad.

14. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Never really thought about doing that, but it makes sense.

15. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

16. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I don't tend to spend much time at work (I'm in the office about 17 hours a week because I'm also a uni student, which is why they bought me a laptop, so I could work from home, so for me, it makes more sense to have my nice set up at home :) (unless it's during the summer, then I'm at work pretty much 24/7 lol. I did however, manage to convince my boss to buy a 20" Aluminium iMac for video editing purposes :D

17. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

I quite like my PC at work as it is ridiculously loaded and fast and I have two 24" monitors. I wouldn't have anything as good, mac or not, if I had to pay for it myself. Occasionally bring the PB in if I want to goof on soulseek or something but otherwise, keep the fun stuff at home and the work at work. boring, eh?

18. mavherzog macrumors 6502

That absolutely floors me that your company would allow you to connect a personally-owned computer to their internal network.

19. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I don't think it's an issue, it being a Mac and having no viruses, etc.