Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tiffp1, Jul 7, 2008.

1. tiffp1 macrumors newbie

Am I the only one who thinks the design and form factor of the 2G iPhone is more aesthetically pleasing than the new 3G iPhone? I much prefer the sexy glass, aluminum, metal design of the old iPhone to the new oddly tapered, solid back color of the new phone. In my opinion the back of the old iPhone was one of the most attractive parts with the beautiful design of silver, black, and the ingeniously sexy apple mirror but sadly the new plain color back leaves me disappointed with apple's design choices for the first time. I'd be interested to see what everyone else thinks about the new iPhone design.

2. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Nope, there are at least 300 people here that feel the same way. And they all made threads about it just like you did.

3. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I agree with you completely. The 2G iPhone just looks more sleek but I also understand that the plastic back allows for better reception.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

My iPhone is cold when I pick it up. I like that. Metal beats plastic every time.

5. yode macrumors 6502

i love how people must make new threads about this when it has been discussed to hell already

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Since I have no intention of making love to my cell phone, it does not bother me much.

I will appreciate the better reception the new design gives.

7. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I will spend the majority of my time looking at the front of my iphone.

Not the back of it

8. slicecom macrumors 68020

No you're not the only one. But most seem to prefer the new design. Personally there is nothing in the old design that I like more than the new design. I hated the 2 tone plastic/metal back. It looked like an afterthought. But to each his own. :)

9. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I don't know man, does anybody really know if the old iPhone did not have a plastic back? If you watch that dude blending an iPhone it doesn't look like aluminum to me.

10. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

i like the original that's why i'm keeping mine...unless they start making them in multiple colors :D

11. aubreyjane macrumors newbie

I personally like the design of the new. I am wondering however, will the new iPhone have a glass screen like v1 (I am sure someone has asked this question and it has been answered but a search of the forums did not produce and answer). TIA!

12. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

It's ok to love your iPhone. Just don't LOVE your iPhone.

13. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

I think they are both pretty sleek and nice. Bottom line is, having a phone with a back that will scratch a bit easier is a bummer. The reality though is that with a plastic back comes much better reception, and that trumps the look. Remember this is a phone, not a decoration. The most important thing is that it works the best that it can AS A PHONE.

14. friekunater macrumors 6502

well then you're wasting your money and time, my friend. love making is one of the many unadvertised features of the iPhone that is just spectacular.

15. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Damn i was waiting for someone to say that. props>

16. meagain macrumors 68030

I never liked the shape of it - flat slab. Never felt good in my hand. Too slippery also. I love the aluminum but not the black plastic part (2-tone).

17. icecold0913 macrumors member

The design is honest. The new phone would not operate properly with a metal enclosure, therefore it is not metal. Honesty is one of Dieter Rams' basic rules of good design, of which Jon Ive is known to follow closely:

"Good design is innovative.
    Good design makes a product useful.
    Good design is aesthetic.
    Good design is unobtrusive.
    Good design is honest.
    Good design is durable.
    Good design is consequent to the last detail.
    Good design is concerned with the environment.
    Good design is as little design as possible."

Ive's insistence to follow these design rules is part of what makes Apple products so simple, beautiful, and functional.

So, according to these rules, a 3G iPhone would never be aluminum.
    If it bothers you that much, use a 2G.