Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Usually I don't get the whole unboxing thing and why on earth people post videos of it I will never understand but opening up my uni MBP was awesome. It's something I will always do. As for the aluminum or not, I'll be interested to see if any netbook that may come out might replace the whitebook.

gillboyswims96

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
yes. yes. yes.

The white one is much more... well... amazing in my opinion... its just that polycarbonate seems like apples.... signature touch to products, even if the whitebook is the last one.

I had wanted the white book for well quite literally since the day it came out. It was i think just about four years when i got my whitebook last month. and let me tell you, you will be so much happier when you actually get it! I was really freaking out when I heard about the UB because I thought for sure they would get rid or the whitebook... but they didnt...

Dont worry. your time will come :D

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
I also prefer the polycarbonate cases. I'm gonna keep my BlackBook until Apple stops supporting it, and it can't keep up with my needs(which by the looks of it might be a bit). While I love the unibody design, the black keyboard and the screen bother me. If Apple uses matte LCDs like the 17", and makes the keys silver as opposed to black, then I'd go and upgrade. Now if they make one like ColorWares Stealth MBP in 13" I'll be first in line.

Now that I think about it, I really wish Apple made silver keys for their aluminum models, even if they had the black bezel.

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I wonder what it is about those Blackbooks. Everyone seems to want one, but I still prefer white!

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
I wonder what it is about those Blackbooks. Everyone seems to want one, but I still prefer white!

Well here's the thing since the blacbook is discontinued. everyone wants them NOW because, IMO Blackbook are the Sleek HOT Plastic MacBook. and it's also the top of the line.

It has a matte finish, and I heard it has a matte screen/glossy too. idk but yeah I really want one!!

it's just rare and it looks good!

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
I still prefer that sleek, glossy white!

Eh i guess so I guess i'm only liking the black one because, I don't own one :D
haha but i'm pretty satisfied with the white one, I still have that thick protective sticker on it. like the one that comes with like the old macbooks i believe.

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
I love my last-of-the-BlackBooks plastic MacBook. She is one heck of a machine and if she doesn't outlive my degree I'll be surprised.

I didn't buy her because she was black, I bought her because I wasn't prepared to buy a MacBook Pro but I still needed a high performance laptop for all my messing around in GarageBand for my radio degree (they use f***ing Adobe Audition in the studios on 5 year old Dell machines. NONE of them work. AT ALL. 10GB hard disk my arse). But in my opinion I do prefer the black finish to the white, because I know if I had the white one it'd be constantly filthy!

The BlackBook does not have a matte screen, it is the same glossy panel as the WhiteBook.

As for polycarbonate vs aluminium, Well I guess I'm just a traditionalist. Since the eMac and iMac G4, everything at Apple has been white polycarbonate. The computer, the keyboard, the mouse, the power supply, the ethernet base station, the iPod, yada yada. I don't think we're ready to move on. Man I miss the iMac G4. They were the best designed computer ever.

Good luck on saving for your MacBook. Remember there are always college and university discounts available. If you're in America there could also be a tax holiday approaching. If you're in Britain, then yeah the 16% "you're in Britain you must pay more than everyone in the world except Switzerland and Norway" random Apple tax on top of VAT is a pain in the arse.

Wolf ∑:•p

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
It's funny you mention the filthiness of the Whitebooks. Cause I've just realized something odd. See, I HATE smudges. So much so that I wish I could declare a holocaust on them! Yet isn't it funny how I'm attracted to all the things that are pretty much bound to get smudges such as the Whitebook and iPod Touch? xD.

gillboyswims96

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
sure i havnt had my macbook for more than a month but i really havnt realized it getting dirty... just whenever i think it might start i wipe it down with just water and a wash cloth

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
It's not just the white ones, my aluminum MacBook gets just as dirty as my white iBook did, and the oil from fingers makes the black keys all gross.

monkey86

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
London
If you're in Britain, then yeah the 16% "you're in Britain you must pay more than everyone in the world except Switzerland and Norway" random Apple tax on top of VAT is a pain in the arse

vat is 15% here in the uk. :)

Kat King123

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
lol wut? @ the person saying the whitebook isnt as powerful as the unibody macbook pro there pretty much even sure it has a little better processor speed and the ram is a little different in speed as well does that make the macbook not as professional? if you must no i use my macbook every week in the studio for recording and editing guitar/drum tracks and its just fine:eek:

dyrmaker83

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
I agree with all the above comments about the white being signature and more Apple-ish in design.

However,

I will be trading in my brand new whitebook for a pro because the screen is driving me nuts. Others may not have a problem, but every time I open the lid I have to adjust the screen for about 30 seconds because the viewing angle range is non-existent.

Trading in, that is, as long as I don't get docked with a restocking fee.

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
vat is 15% here in the uk. :)

I know. I said on top of VAT. :rolleyes:

I was remarking on the mysterious European/Australasian Apple Tax which is, in Britain, roughly on average 16% per product. I say on average because some things like the Mighty Mouse only have an 8% Random Apple Tax and the old 23" ACD had a 27% RAT.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I love my aluminum PRO machine for what it is....a nice big pro machine.

Day to day, gotta love rocking the poly. that's the fun machine to carry, take out, work at a restaurant, ect, and not be too worried about it getting beat.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
I've used both and I can honestly say that I would take the Aluminum one over the plastic one any day.

Takuta-Nui

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
You could pop off the old keys and buy new ones off ebay.
I took my WhiteBook to mymacdealer a few months ago to have the cracked topcase fixed, and they replaced my trackpad and keyboard along with it! Really great service. I hope they start expanding since there's only a few in Alberta (a province in Canada where I live), but their service really is great.

I now have an unibody MacBook (not Pro, I got the 13" before that change was made), and there is one huge reason why I prefer it so much.

Stainless palmrests.

Seriously, even if you are a minor sweater, the WhiteBook stains so badly. I'm a major sweater, so it often happened that after one day of writing I'd have to scrub it off with a Magic Eraser. Just awful. =/

Plus the Multitouch trackpad really agrees with me more... but I do think the WhiteBook is just as much an eye-pleaser as the unibody. :)

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Good to know about the elbow rest! I'll consider getting some guard for it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.