am I the the only one dreading a touch screen ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by fowler., Jul 18, 2007.

1. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I love the interface of the iPhone, but I really think it'd be unnecessary for an iPod.

I like being able to change song, navigate through menus without ever really looking at the screen. A few clicks, with one hand and no eyes gets me to where I want to be.

With an UI like the iPhone, I think it'd make things 10x more difficult...

2. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

i almost always look at my ipod to change music, and besides ever think about a virtual clickwheel???:)

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'll buy a zune (ok so not really) if the new iPod uses a touch screen. Blah!

4. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

I doubt they'll ever have a touch screen iPod nano, but that would suck for people who want a non-touch screen iPod with more than 8 GB of music.

5. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

As I pause and restart mine while still in its sleeve, the touch screen is unlikely to be viable for me.

6. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    We'll see what happens, but there's always eBay.

~ CB

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I do like the tactile feedback of the physical click-wheel. Not really sure I need the fullscreen either. For me, it is primarily a music player with occasional video playback. That said, I have an iPod that fits the bill perfectly, so I am certainly not dreading the fullscreen touch-screen iPod coming to market. Some people will love it. 'Some people' may or may not turn out to include me, but if I don't, I am already all set.

8. Davowade macrumors regular

I just want more storage. I got 52GB of music and 19GB of videos, so I wont even buy an 80 cause it won't be viable for long enough.

I could be swayed by a 100GB with a touch screen :D

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

One review mentioned the touch-screen (on the iPhone) is less responsive if you have oily fingers - suggesting a touch screen wouldn't work well for use while running/exercising.

10. 210 macrumors regular

Touchscreen iPod

I bigger screen but using the same dimensions is a positive, but like someone said, I hardly look at my iPod when listening to music and changing songs. Even with a virtual clickwheel, you still have to know where on the surface the clickwheel is. I guess we'll wait and see.

11. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I love being able to navigate the iPod without looking - in my pocket, while driving, etc - volume up, down skip forward, back. I don't want to have to depend on a cheap headphone clicker like the iPhone - I like the clickwheel as is. That said, the coverflow effect is pretty slick on my iPhone.

12. LeviG macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be surprised if apple does not introduce a touchscreen version as something like the "iPod Touch" and aim it more at the mobile video market which is now taking off.

Either that or apple will introduce it as a replacement for a newton.

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

I don't see how Apple can really take the iPod to the next level (as in "significantly differentiate it from the competition") without putting a touchscreen on it.

Just about everything else has been tried...

14. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

I don't expect the video iPod to replace click-wheel iPods. I think the traditional click wheel iPod will still be with us for some time to come.

15. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

The iPhone earbuds have a little button on them to pause/play. I like it a lot better fumbling for my iPod's button. 'Course that will limit your choice of headphones.

16. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Totally. I don't even put videos on my iPod anymore because I only have about 500MB left on my 30GB. I've actually had to start taking music off (I've had to go back to using the stupid check mark system). If they put out a 100 or 120GB WS iPod I'd be all it.

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

Ack, no smart playlists?! :eek: