Am I too late to upgrade to Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by luckyfoot15, Nov 1, 2014.

1. luckyfoot15 macrumors newbie

Early 2008 MBP running Snow Leopard. I have a Crucial 240GB SSD and see all the issues with Yosemite and lack of TRIM support.

Is Mavericks still available for upgrading?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The only legit way to get Mavericks is from Apple in the App Store, and since Yosemite came out you can no longer buy it.

3. luckyfoot15 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm...interesting. I see two major problems in the CNet reviews that flag to me that I should NOT upgrade.

I use a Brother printer which one review had major problems getting to work...and I only sync locally via USB, which apparently is not supported in Mavericks.

Oh Apple...so non-user friendly now...:eek:

4. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

App Store: continuing availability of OS X Mavericks

Whilst there's no longer a page for the app (the installer), the app does remain in the store. Screenshot attached from a minute or so ago.

Expect Apple to provide redemption codes to people who require Mavericks for compatible Macs.

From what I recall (for a friend, probably an upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion after Mountain Lion was released), all that was required was a support 'phone call to Apple (probably iTunes oriented), and the payment that's expected for an upgrade from Snow Leopard.

Attached Files:

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is not available for purchase is what I said, and that is accurate.

What you are showing is the purchase history for someone that already purchased Mavericks.

If you go to the online Apple Store, for $19.99 you can buy a code that can be redeemed in the App Store for Lion or Mountain Lion. At this point no such option exists for Mavericks.

Any Mac that can run Mavericks, can run Yosemite, so this time around Apple may chose not to make Mavericks available for purchase.

The bottom line is as of now there is no way to purchase Mavericks.

6. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Thanks, that's clearer …

Not quite. Whilst App Store lists it as a purchase, it was not purchased – no payment was involved.

(That's debatably an area in which the app might be improved … doesn't affect the bigger picture – an expectation that a user of Snow Leopard will be able to get, through App Store, the thing(s) that will be required to ultimately install Mavericks.)

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you serious with this? Did you really not understand what I meant or do you just enjoy being pedantic?

8. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

I was serious, I used the word 'debatably' with care, I apologise to any reader who misinterprets my posts above as pedantic.

I don't know everything about App Store procedures, I never pretended to have that knowledge, I imagined that I might have learnt something.

9. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Mavericks shows in Purchased Apps, despite the fact that it has been free from the start.
    If it appears in the Purchased Apps list, you can still download it.
    However, there's not a simple way to "purchase" it now.
    You SHOULD be able to call AppleCare, and you SHOULD still be able to get a redemption code for Mavericks. It's still available for download as a Purchased App, if it has already been purchased (I got a complete download just today, just as a test)

10. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Thanks

… and the last post taught me something. (Thank you.)

11. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Order a refurb.. comes with Mavericks. Create a bootable usb drive, return the refurb? Just throwing out a really difficult solution :cool:

12. tywebb13, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

tywebb13 macrumors 68020

It IS still available in the mac dev center to developers. Also available from there is Leopard, Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, and Yosemite. Unfortunately Lion is not available there anymore. But you can still get Lion here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106/os-x-lion

as well as snow leopard and mountain lion here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377/os-x-mountain-lion

For Mavericks, you just click Get Download Code button in the mac dev center and it starts downloading in the mac app store.

13. luckyfoot15 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a very noteworthy post. My main reason I wanted to update was to test out a specific game that is only compatible with the more recent operating system. My main hesitation is that every time I've attempted to upgrade from Snow Leopard, the upgrade led to corrupting all my data (Mavericks-accidentally logged in as Guest and the OSX decided to forgot where all my primary data was located) or not booting (Yosemite-the SSD issues that we are all now well aware of).

With what you said, I check and found that I DO have Mavericks in my downloaded apps! I'm going to give it another shot. When I first tried Mavericks, my original HDD and 4gb ram could not keep up. I have an SSD and 6GB ram now, so from what I read, it should be a performance improvement over Snow Leopard.

Thank you!

Lots of good information in these replies...I hope it helps others that are considering the same options.

14. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Apology

I see now that I misunderstood (maybe originally misread) part of that, plus maybe part of something that followed … I shouldn't attempt to explain further, but I should say sorry for any confusion and ill-feeling that arose.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I do apologize for my harsh response earlier. I honestly thought you were being a smart-alek. Sorry for the misunderstanding.