Am I trapped into DropBox?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pilotkid, Dec 10, 2016.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Hello all, I am not 100% sure where to post this since I use it on my iPhone and my Mac but anyways...I have been a DropBox user for years, I have thousands of pictures and videos stored on it. I was pretty much forced to upgrade to DropBox Pro for the extra space that I needed. My problem is I am getting tired of paying the monthly fee for it. But I have no idea how to get all of my stuff from DropBox to another free service and what my options are for that matter. The reason I have so many photo's on there is because I have had every phone I've owned sync every picture and video I take to DropBox. There are probably hundreds of pictures I don't need but it is overwhelming to go and delete each one one at a time. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Anthony

2. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Not sure you're going to be able to get the same amount of storage free as you are with a paid subscription. Google will allow you to upload that many, but they will not be the same high quality or size. Ditto for iCloud. Might be more worthwhile to invest in an external drive and sync them from your Mac. I use Drop Box (free) but don't use it for photos. I use Google Photos, Photobucket and iCloud (paid), plus and external hard drive.

3. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to deal with the $10 monthly subscription fee. Now I have one more question. What is the easiest was to "clean up" all my files. All my pictures are unnamed. They just show the file number since they are automatically synced every time I take a picture on my phone. I also want to delete a ton of pictures that are not needed anymore. I'm afraid of the answer but do I have to go through each one?

4. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Yup. That is one of the downfalls of digital photography. Culling is a pain but it is necessary.

Flickr offers free photo storage up to 1TB. Might as well go through all the images. Just commit to moving a 100 or so a day and you'll be done in a year ... ;-)