Am I Unlocked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pittpanthersfan, Jun 27, 2010.

1. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

I jailbroke and unlocked(?) my 3G. Not sure if I did it right though. Here are the steps that I went through:

1. Before I jailbroke, I upgraded to iOS 4. I then jailbroke with redsn0w and downloaded the ultrasn0w package from within Cydia, thereby unlocking it I believe.

2. iOS 4 was rediculously sluggish and a battery drain, so I completely wiped the phone and downgraded to 3.1.2.

3. I then jailbroke using redsn0w and downloaded blacksn0w from within Cydia.

4. Today I went to a T-Mobile store just to determine whether I had unlocked successfully. I popped in one of their test SIMs. On the first boot, it showed no bars. On the second boot, it showed "Searching..." for a very long time. On the third boot, it showed no bars again. I switched airplane mode off and back on and it then showed "Invalid SIM card."

Not once did it display the carrier, "T-Mobile." The T-Mobile guy seemed to think that because it attempted a search, that that was a good sign. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the test SIM, or my unlock or what.

Specs:

iPhone 3G
    OS 3.1.2 (7D11)
    Modem Firmware 05.13.04
    blacksn0w RC1

Should I remove blacksn0w and try ultrasn0w again? :confused:

2. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

When you upgraded to 4.0 your Baseband updated and blacksn0w couldnt unlock it anymore

so now only ultrasn0w will work

Hope that helped ;)

EDIT: Even when downgrading back to 3.1.2 your baseband stayed the same

3. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Enter DFU mode and restore as new on iOS 4.0. Jailbreak with redsn0w, download ultrasn0w again. Done!

I did this on 3 iPhone 3G's that I sold and they all worked better when restored as new. Multitasking, background wallpaper etc... all worked fine.

4. pittpanthersfan thread starter macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

@Leet Apple: Much thanks for all the info! :cool: I'll give ultrasn0w a try on 3.1.2.

@Loves2spoon: I'm not really that motivated to upgrade to iOS 4 again by any of the 3G "features." If anything iOS 4-exclusive comes out and I do decide to upgrade, I 'll be sure to use your method.

Thanks, guys.

5. pittpanthersfan thread starter macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

I removed blacksn0w and installed ultrasn0w which left me with no service. Does it not like that I have baseband 05.13.04 on 3.1.2?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Restore back to 3.1.2 and then jb again and this time install ultraslow to unlock.
    Not blacksnow.
    Make sure you have 3G turned off if u gonna use a Tmobile sim.

7. pittpanthersfan thread starter macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

I'm not sure what you mean. This is essentially what I already did. :(

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

But you first installed blacksnow so maybe it screwed up the unlock thats prob why ultrasnow is not working now.
    Thats why I suggest it to do it over again but without installing blacksnow.
    Up to you.

9. pittpanthersfan thread starter macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

I reinstalled ultrasn0w and, for whatever reason, I kept my signal this time. I'll try to head back a T-Mobile store to test out one of their SIMs again. If it still isn't working, I'll just bite the bullet and upgrade to iOS 4 + ultrasn0w again.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok, if its working now then you're good.
    The signal fluctuation is cause by leaving 3G turned on where 3G frequency is not supported by Tmobile USA.