Am I using my MBP too much?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamin00, Nov 24, 2012.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Its a late 2011brought this year and my first.

I use it all day at work and when I get home I have it on all evening too. Its plugged in all day at work and most of the time at home. I sometimes unplug it to let the battery drain and recharge.
    I rarely turn it off just letting it sleep, I guess I turn it off or restart it once a month maybe?

I chose a MBP because of their better rep for quality etc but if this was a different brand the battery would be dead in 12 months and the whole system would be unusable after 24months.

Is this kind of usage going to cause any issues?

Just after reassurance I guess :)

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

Too much for what? For your health or the computer?
    I used my previous MBP 2009 model for 3 years everyday for work and play, and it is still running fine. I rarely turned it off, ran it unplugged sometimes, and it still had 4 hours + of battery life when I retired it this Sept. The MBP is a very robust machine. As for you, someone is bound to jump in this thread with the usual "get a life" comment, and of course you should get some exercise too, sitting at a computer all day long is definitely not "good" for you!
    Baring hardware issues, don't worry about your MBP, just run it sometimes on the battery and put it to sleep at night. If you have Apple Care, you have 3 years of support, so why worry now?

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I have an Early 2008 15" MBP and has over 30K hours uptime so i think you and your Mac are safe to say the least :p

4. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

OK, lol maybe I should of clarified I dont literally sit there in ALL my spare time as my family would get the hump pretty quick and I'd have no time for anything fun but its used a lot was my point.

Thanks for the comments :)

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

LOL.

It's called Internet addiction.

And have you notice EVERYBODY on their phone nowadays? like they are trying to ask you something but the phone is still on their hears. In my parents days that was rude.

But don't worry about the machine, it's designed to run 24x7 if you wish. Is your mid section that's getting extra fat cells.

6. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Between both of my jobs (online of course), high school work, and leisure (I'm addicted), I spend about 9 hours a day on my MBP. Wow that's bad...

7. ChrisMan287 macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

My MBP 2011 is always awake or asleep!
    If Im rendering videos, seeding torrents, exporting videos, etc, its on for nearly a week.

And I never let it shut down. Its always on sleep.
    Also I havent cycled the battery for nearly 6 months now.

10. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

You paid your hard earned money for it, so use it as you see fit.

Modern electronic chips/circuits are designed to be stressed for decades before wearing off. Chances are, even with heavy usage, your MBP will wear out long after it becomes too slow to use with newer software.