Am I violating AT&T by selling my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, May 28, 2008.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I plan on selling my iPhone in the next few days (you know why) and was wondering if I am violating my contract with AT&T.

I plan on using a RAZR temporarily, so would that mean I have to change my plan from an iPhone Data Plan to a regular cell phone plan?

Also, do you THINK that I can use my iPhone's sim card with the RAZR and then use it with the new iPhone when it's available?

And lastly do you think (obviously no one knows) that I will be able to buy the new iPhone without extending my contract?

Thanks in advance.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

As long as you keep service you're not violating your contract. If you pay the bill, they don't care if you ever use it.

Don't change the data plan if it's only going to be for a couple weeks, probably too much of a hassle and a pro-rated amount, so you'll save like $10 max.

Your iPhone SIM will work fine in a RAZR. I've put my iPhone SIM in 3 other phones, worked fine in each.

If it's like upgrading from an 8gb to 16gb iPhone, you don't extend your contract. We won't know for sure how it'll work until the phone is released though.

4. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Bought 4Gb activated with AT&T, sold it on eBay. Bought 8Gb, activated it on AT&T (same line) and sold on ebay. Now I plan to get 3G and activate it again. No issues yet. I am sure they aren't happy about it, but I don't care.

5. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the responses, makes me not feel so bad about selling it. Although I have used the thing for several hours everyday since June 29, 2007 lol and it is going to be hard going without it.

But when you said that you activated it when you bought the 8GB, can you elaborate on that?

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

AT&T just wants to get paid each month, so my hat's off to those that can work the system and save a buck or two. Whether it's selling their iPhones for a profit or figuring out how to use a cheaper phone in order to wait for the newest iPhone, more power to ya'! :cool:

7. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

I recently sold mine for the same reason, but want to use the data plan with my old motorola phone. What are the network settings that the iPhone uses? I've been searching around a bit, but have yet to find the answer. I will post it here if I find out, but if anyone knows, please do tell.

8. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I just hooked the new phone 8Gb up to the computer and followed the same process I did when I first got the 4Gb iPhone. The only thing that was different is AT&T must of had to manual activate it behind the scenes as I got a message saying your activation is taking longer and that I would receive an email once it was completed. Took about 10 minutes and I was up and running. I think it just extended my contract to two years from the second activation date. Since the current iPhone contract is not an equipment contract I don't think it is an issue. By this I mean, If I was 1 year into a contract prior iPhone, I would be eligible to upgrade my device within the next 6 months (at 18 months into a two year contract you can upgrade devices). The iPhone contract just locks you into AT&T "service" for two years not equipment.

Now with the possibility of the subsidy on the new phone, this would be an equipment contract.

EDIT: This may be different for new customers. I would recommend purchasing a two year contract for another device and then sell that phone on eBay or something. Then buy iPhone and change the contract to iPhone via iTunes like I did. This should allow you to make some money and have iPhone. My guess is that new iPhone customers get shafted as they probably don't get the option to get another phone if the sign up with iPhone straight away.

9. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I had no issue popping my iPhone SIM into my temporary Nokia phone until the 3G one arrives. Didn't have to change any network settings. Although, the Nokia phone is an AT&T phone. Search AT&T help section online, they provide all the network settings for phones that are not AT&T branded. I just look for a phone that is similar so the walk thru menus they provide somewhat match the phone I am trying to setup. Example if on Nokia, look for another Nokia phone under the help section.

EDIT: Link for ATT support, just select your phone type and then select Browser internet settings link under device setup.

http://www.wireless.att.com/support/chooseDevice.do?universe=att&make=All&dest=home

10. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Wait wait, can anyone confirm this? If I replace the iPhone I bought in August with a 3G iPhone, I would have to extend my contract from two years after the date I activate it?

And if you cant comment because "no one knows with 3G", ok then, how about this...If I were to upgrade my iPhone from the 8gb to the 16gb, would I have my contract extended for two years? God I hope not.

11. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

my edge service works fine when I put my sim from my iphone in my razr... fwiw

12. mariokarter macrumors member

No. Contrary to what ATandT wants you to think you own your phone. Now, what happens if you sell it and theres no 3G iPhone? But back at a loss?

13. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Yes. Don't be surprised if AT&T sends a Paddy Wagon for you.

14. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

no they just say to keep ur original sim card so the next owner then hsa to go to the att store and get a new one

15. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

It just depends what they do with the service contracts. If 3G service ends up being different(price or terms), then you may be required to activate the new iPhone again. Or if they offer subsidies for a 2-year agreement, you're gonna have to start that 2 years over. The situation with 8GB to 16GB is different because nothing changes with the service, you can just put your old SIM in the new one and AT&T is non the wiser.

16. chrisparr macrumors regular

They may never speak to the OP again, well maybe if the OP bought flowers and promised that it meant nothing :D

17. xdreamx macrumors newbie

if i jailbroke my iphone and i take out my sim to sell it. will it still be considered jailbroken when i sell it? i want to be able to sell it unlocked. does it need a sim card in there for that to happen?

18. timmciglobal macrumors member

Would I include the SIM card when I sell the iphone? Can I take it out? where would the new user get a SIM card?

Tim

19. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

The SIM card is registered to your number so I would hold on to that if I were you. You can pop it into any old RAZR or nokia or whatever AT&T is giving away for free this week and you should be able to receive calls to your same number. Then when new iPhones come out, you should be able to pop it in there and it already be registered. The only thing to worry about is if 3G plans cost more or require additional re-registration or something.

20. sWaltuo macrumors regular

Yes, take your SIM card out. You will pop your SIM into your new iPhone. The new user, if an existing AT&T customer, should be able to pop their new SIM card into the iPhone and go through the process on iTunes of activating it and so on. If they aren't an existing AT&T customer, they would just go to an AT&T store and buy a new one ... At least I think thats how it works, could be wrong though?

21. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Remove SIM card, put in new phone, sell old phone. Let the buyer worry about where to get a new SIM.

22. TJ10 macrumors member

TJ10

It is not violating any codes. When I sold my iPhone I called AT&T the next day to cancel my data plan and they asked for a reason and I told them that I sold the iPhone and they just asked me if I have a phone to use and I said yes, then the conversation was over. Was very easy and they were very helpful.