Am I weak or are the MacBooks & MacBook Pros heavy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tray, Jan 25, 2008.

1. tray macrumors member

Hi,

I'm a student and a day normally sees me shuttling between different places in school. I use a 15.4" MBP (MB user previously) in a Timbuk2 (medium-sized) sling bag.

There'll be a time after mid-day when I realize the weight of the bag is killing me. My shoulders are aching and sometimes I get this burning sensation. I tried going to school a couple of days without my notebook (impossible to do again) and I realized how much lighter my bag was and I could honestly carry it around the whole day without any issues.

However, when I read these threads, it seems that most people seem to have no issue with the weight of the MBs and MBPs. Am I an anomaly? The MBA looks very appealing to me simply because of its weight. It is the lightest notebook. I was actually thinking of downgrading my SR MBP to a 12" PowerBook when I realized that the PB is only slightly lighter.

God, am I only the one that feels the Apple's current line of notebooks (except the MBA) are heavy to carry around the entire day? Please tell me I'm not alone. Thanks. :D

2. Ringu macrumors member

change bags

Change your bag. Use a regular backpack with two shoulder straps rather than a sling bag.

That will help no end.

Most people don't have too many issues with the weight because they don't actually carry them around all day, just from the house to the car/train/bus, then from that to work/school.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Try going to the gym more

4. 119576 Guest

Yeah you're pretty weak. :p

I carry my MB in a satchel for about 3 hours each day and I don't even notice the weight.
    They're only a few pounds and if that's causing you problems, you should probably think about building a bit of muscle. You may want to try a regular backpack; failing that.

5. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Yeah, get a proper ruck-sak type thing. I have one, and my laptop is really heavy and it's fine. I walk a mile to uni, then carry it for the day and it's fine. I can feel it in my bag, but i never get back/shoulder pains etc.

6. timtam macrumors member

:p, but dont worry about it, just keep carry your lappie around, your back muscle will get used to it, and it will get stronger, :D.

7. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

As others have mentioned, a backpack can help a lot.

8. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Backpack

I'd agree with the backpack thing too. It's really not too good for you to have all the weight on one shoulder if you're finding it heavy.

9. tray thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I should provide some background info.

Hmm, I'm in no way bodybuilding-physique but I hit the gym at least twice a week. Yes, you're right, a backpack does help tremendously but a messenger bag has many benefits.

What I want to know is that for others carrying MBs/MBPs in sling/messenger bags. Do you find it heavy?

I carry at least a 2nd MBP battery/charger too.

10. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Heh, you should see me when I used to carry around Dells that weight 4kgs, without chargers and associated stuff!

The MacBook feels really light to me. I put it in a backpack and walk about a mile to my institute everyday.

11. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Weaksauce, but if weight is such a big deal:

Why not just buy a bag with TWO straps, thus saving $1700 and your back?! I attend a school of 30,000 and the only Timbuk I ever saw belonged to a biker.
    Buy a North Face pack, they're just as trendy, built just as well, and you won't look like you're listing to one side or about to deliver a pizza.

12. Ringu macrumors member

slings and roundabouts

I've used both sling bags and regular backpacks extensively and a travel continuously.

Whilst I find the sling bag good for quick ease of access and arguably better looking, I have returned to using a regular backpack and it's far, far better for my posture and general fatigue.

13. tray thread starter macrumors member

Okay, you guys are right. Backpacks/rucksacks in school.

But I often find myself in this situation: I'm in town and I'm meeting some friends. I'm early/they're late and I just want to find somewhere to sit and use my notebook for a while to catch on some feeds/read that eBook. Now, you won't carry a backpack/rucksack to town would you? I mean you'll be shopping/watching movies, surely a backpack is outta place right?

14. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Gee, you must be studying at a very trendy place! :D

So backpacks may look a bit boring, but they sure are practical. Besides, if you're shopping, you get to stuff your goods in the backpack afterwards.

15. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Take this as the opportunity to develop the first backpak/sling bag combined!

You could have the double strap for general use, and the sling, solo strap for those times when looks matter :D I see you making millions!

I use my backpak all the time though, and have never had a problem with it. Get one that looks good, and you'll be fine with it.

16. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Are you wearing jeans, cords or khakis when you go out? If so you can get away with carrying a backpack.

17. tray thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, what backpack do you use?

18. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I use a pretty regular o'neill one. I'm sre there are far more ergomomic ones. Don't get one with thin straps though, as they'll just dig into your shoulders until your arms fall off. If that happens, then your bag will slide off and the macbook will die :eek:

19. tray thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sexist or anything, but are you a girl?

20. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Or you could just buy the Hacker from Timbuk2. Personally I opted for the Track day pack, as I wanted a full-time backpack, but the Hacker is convertible from Backpack to Messenger bag. You already use a Timbuk2 bag so I'm sure you know how well made they are.

21. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Scrap my idea then, it's already been invented i guess...and there was me thinking millions could be made!

So, the Hacker is the bag for you then Sir, fashion and practicality in one...that very rarely comes about!

22. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

It's not just your Macbook that is making your backpack heavy. t's the combination of textbooks, binders, Macbook, etc.
    So when you removed the Macbook, it cut it's weight down significantly, but could have been done by removing excess binders, textbooks, etc.
    5 pounds is a big difference when your carrying around 20+ pounds of school work.

23. Bogeyman macrumors newbie

Bogeyman

Sorry, you opened yourself up for it; you are weak. My MacBook Pro is the lightest machine I've ever worked with. I'm certainly no muscleman, but try carrying it around with a camera, tripod, and an M-16 for a day. You'll soon grow to appreciate your MBP and a couple of books.

24. odagled macrumors member

25. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Are you gathering towels or working out? :confused: :p